Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do people care what others spend money on?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do people care what others spend money on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 06:22 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodduck
what if you just like buying and collecting bikes?

lots of people do it with cars and spend lots of money on them, but you don't have to be a racing car driver to have a fast car.

lots of folks buy expensive watches and jewellery. Hey even stamp collectors pay top dollar for a postage stamp, what do you have to be a good licker for one of those?
FYI, this is an investment

This, not so much
Old 07-20-09, 06:23 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
You mean like when you showed off and rolled your uber-expensive Cervelo through the hotel lobby?
Ah, memories.
Old 07-20-09, 06:25 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyakdiver
Is not one missing the joy of appreciating a very nice bike if one starts off at the top? I know that for me it feels much more rewarding to move up in a bike as i move up in ability(kind of reward for the effort). I have gone the all in approach in some other sports and never quite got the same satisfaction as when i worked my way up to the next level.

Do I get envious of some of the rides here on BF? You betcha..... Do I think they would make me much faster? Nope. The time will come this year when I get that new frame set. Why? Because after putting in 5K on my used 2004 TCR... I want a fresh one and I know it will get used and appreciated.

This all matters not though...... We are all different and are free to pick and choose the choices we make.

As well as the right to agree or disagree........... thank goodness.
But what about someone like me who can afford to spend $10k on a bike and choose not to or own 5 bikes like myself? Am I envious?
Old 07-20-09, 06:28 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jason0617
I may be totally off here. I didn't stalk you prior to posting, so this is based soley on your posting here... That said, I'm assuming that the name DrPete implies you spent a great deal of time, and thus a great deal of money furthering your education so that you could in turn, earn a greater (we hope) deal of money to spend on such extravagent things as expensive bikes... Right now I can afford to spend $1,000 on a bike. I don't have issue with people that can spend lots more. When I get the $140,000 worth of student loans I have paid off, the first thing I'm doing is buying a Porsche. Far more excessive than my Hyundai today, but worth the excess IMHO.
Well, kinda sorta. I'm hardly rolling in the cash. Again, my "extravagances" are all relative. There's no 911 in the foreseeable future, but I do like my Subaru Outback... Limited. With my wife in grad school, mine is the only income, and my 5-month old has one or two needs too.

At the end of the day nobody on here has enough information about me or anyone else to pass any judgment about what I buy or don't, or what it might mean about my character, motivation, priorities, etc.
Old 07-20-09, 06:33 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
this is not true.
Really, though? I mean, I've been guilty of it too, as everyone has, but criticizing a purchase, for whatever the reason do jour might be, is ultimately trying to exert some measure of superiority over another person. Why would we do that if we didn't feel the need to do it on some level?
Old 07-20-09, 06:33 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notbuilt4speed
I'm sure it's frustrating to some who believe they are truly dedicated to the sport to see someone with less skills, knowledge, dedication and conditioning ride up with a bike that clearly is beyond their skill level. I'm new here, but I believe you guys use the term poser for someone who has all the top gear but not the skills to match.

While I can appreciate the sentiment, I'm probably more tolerant than others based on past experiences in other sports. When I was younger and played racquetball pretty seriously my coach had an interesting take on buying the best racquet even if your skills don't warrant it, "If your goal is to improve and your own the best racquet but still suck, it's clearly not the racquets fault and you know where to place the blame". I've noticed the adage applies to golf clubs as well.
This is kind of where I am coming from. I think there is a lot of over-exuberance and maybe with good intentions to become proficient in a sport or hobby just to suck at it. Maybe it is where I grew up that there is so little tolerance for posers.

My sport as a child through adolescence was basketball. Summer camps, leagues, pick up, playing at the famous West 4th courts and getting humbled even though I was a really good player. There was ZERO tolerance for posers. If you sucked, you didn't play. If you showed up with all the garb and expensive sneakers and you sucked, you go laughed off the court or the $#$@ kicked out of you.

So when someone posts a $10k bike with a 14mph average as per their Garmin 705, that is the epitome of what they call getting the Dumb Chills.
Old 07-20-09, 06:37 PM
kyroadguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyrider
But what about someone like me who can afford to spend $10k on a bike and choose not to or own 5 bikes like myself? Am I envious?
As you so amazingly ignored last page, it just makes you feel silly-- according to your previous post history. Not sure why you're trying to impose your feelings onto others though.

Regardless, I guess my original question has been answered. Moving on.
Old 07-20-09, 06:37 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I don't care how much you spent on your bike, as long it's not a Cervelo or Orbea.
Old 07-20-09, 06:38 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think maybe I didn't really explain myself well lazy. I love nice bikes. Just like I really
like that corvette picture above. I didn't say I couldn't afford a 10K dollar bike...... I don't know if
you are envious or not. How would I know the answer to that question?

I can only speak for me. I'm sure when I get my new TCR frame set this fall someone will think
it's a waste of money. Can't do much about it. I know I will appreciate it when it arrives. I also
know that it will get used tons.

kyakdiver
Old 07-20-09, 06:44 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This is kind of where I am coming from. I think there is a lot of over-exuberance and maybe with good intentions to become proficient in a sport or hobby just to suck at it. Maybe it is where I grew up that there is so little tolerance for posers.

My sport as a child through adolescence was basketball. Summer camps, leagues, pick up, playing at the famous West 4th courts and getting humbled even though I was a really good player. There was ZERO tolerance for posers. If you sucked, you didn't play. If you showed up with all the garb and expensive sneakers and you sucked, you go laughed off the court or the $#$@ kicked out of you.

So when someone posts a $10k bike with a 14mph average as per their Garmin 705, that is the epitome of what they call getting the Dumb Chills.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference

It's all about the baggage, whether we know it in the moment or not.

Personally, I grew up in a lower-middle class household where my parents scrounged to get me a good private education in a town with horrible public schools. I went to school with the rich kids who went to Bermuda for spring break. I couldn't afford any of that stuff. You can bet it led to a certain amount of contempt for extravagance, etc. Much the same views when it came to sports.

Now that I've 'made it' and the tables have turned, and I find myself the target of contempt for something that in my current situation isn't particularly extravagant, I kinda realize what an ass I was for hating all those rich kids. All the "rules" about what people can/should have or deserve are all within our own minds, really.
Old 07-20-09, 06:45 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Related: I'm really jealous of the the e-caps affiliate marketing. I gotta go sign up! brb kthxbai!!!

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 07-20-09, 06:46 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyakdiver
I think maybe I didn't really explain myself well lazy. I love nice bikes. Just like I really
like that corvette picture above. I didn't say I couldn't afford a 10K dollar bike...... I don't know if
you are envious or not. How would I know the answer to that question?

I can only speak for me. I'm sure when I get my new TCR frame set this fall someone will think
it's a waste of money. Can't do much about it. I know I will appreciate it when it arrives. I also
know that it will get used tons.

kyakdiver
I think we need to qualify who we are talking about when they buy a $10k bike. Is it the newbie who just want to have the "most expensive" or the veteran who was long overdue and treated himself. I see a difference.

BTW, that is a Maserati 3500GT like the one my GF's dad had. Point being that one cannot compare a plastic chinese made frame to an automobile as such as an "investment" or something worthy of being called collectible.
Old 07-20-09, 06:48 PM
bstern

Bikes: Caad9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a question of desert. It is an American innovation that privileges must be earned. Before, privileges were afforded by blood, not as a result of hard work. Generally, we respect someone who lives a very comfortable life if he worked hard to attain that life. We criticize those who have privileges without hard work. That's the American sense of desert, and a meritocracy is something we consider to be good.
Hence, we think the best bikes should only be ridden by those who have put in thousands of miles of legwork to earn them. That's how we think about all nice things. Those who haven't earned the bikes on the road don't deserve them. I guess it can be envy if someone with 20,000 miles on his odometer isn't riding one, but cycling isn't so expensive of a sport that this situation happens very often. My claim, then, is that people criticize money spent by others when it doesn't seem to be in line with their sense of desert and merit. There is an absolute amount of pain, effort, and dedication that many think must be expended to earn the best bikes. If, instead, a person buys one before he deserves one, then the whole meritocracy we consider good goes out the window, and people get pissed off. It's perfectly reasonable, distinctly American, and, all things considered, good. I say blast away at the undeserving among us.
Old 07-20-09, 06:48 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
You guys are so quick to assume its envy, when it could simply be curmudgeonlyness.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-20-09, 06:52 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference

It's all about the baggage, whether we know it in the moment or not.

Personally, I grew up in a lower-middle class household where my parents scrounged to get me a good private education in a town with horrible public schools. I went to school with the rich kids who went to Bermuda for spring break. I couldn't afford any of that stuff. You can bet it led to a certain amount of contempt for extravagance, etc. Much the same views when it came to sports.

Now that I've 'made it' and the tables have turned, and I find myself the target of contempt for something that in my current situation isn't particularly extravagant, I kinda realize what an ass I was for hating all those rich kids. All the "rules" about what people can/should have or deserve are all within our own minds, really.

I don't have contempt for wealthy people or what they can buy. In my case, it is a matter of competitiveness. I simply don't feel right strolling onto a tennis court, ski slope, golf course, with the most expensive gear if I SUCK. It is not about jealousy
Watch this, Larry David gets it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q
Old 07-20-09, 06:53 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bstern
It's a question of desert. It is an American innovation that privileges must be earned. Before, privileges were afforded by blood, not as a result of hard work. Generally, we respect someone who lives a very comfortable life if he worked hard to attain that life. We criticize those who have privileges without hard work. That's the American sense of desert, and a meritocracy is something we consider to be good.
Hence, we think the best bikes should only be ridden by those who have put in thousands of miles of legwork to earn them. That's how we think about all nice things. Those who haven't earned the bikes on the road don't deserve them. I guess it can be envy if someone with 20,000 miles on his odometer isn't riding one, but cycling isn't so expensive of a sport that this situation happens very often. My claim, then, is that people criticize money spent by others when it doesn't seem to be in line with their sense of desert and merit. There is an absolute amount of pain, effort, and dedication that many think must be expended to earn the best bikes. If, instead, a person buys one before he deserves one, then the whole meritocracy we consider good goes out the window, and people get pissed off. It's perfectly reasonable, distinctly American, and, all things considered, good. I say blast away at the undeserving among us.
You get it.
Old 07-20-09, 06:55 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's the acceptable max for a beginner's bike?
Old 07-20-09, 06:56 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
My rational answer is that people can spend their money how they want.

That said, if you lay out 10k on gear for any hobby, cycling included, with no clue how to use it, "We're going to laugh at you [sic]" (apologies to Event Services).
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-20-09, 06:57 PM
notbuilt4speed

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There was ZERO tolerance for posers. If you sucked, you didn't play. If you showed up with all the garb and expensive sneakers and you sucked, you go laughed off the court or the $#$@ kicked out of you.

If someone shows up with a $10K bike decked out with all the top gear just to impress people or "pose" as a top level cyclist and act like they are when they clearly aren't then they deserve the heat they get. Conversely if someone owns an expensive bike, and gear but carries themself in a way appropriate for their skill level then I don't consider it "posing".

Remember too it's about ones perspective. I bought a $650 bike for my first bike (Trek 7.3fx) to some people I know they think I spent too much given I haven't rode a bike in 20 years (might even consider me a poser). It seems most of the people here have wheel sets worth more so they'd likely not think very highly of my bike.
Old 07-20-09, 06:58 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kyroadguy

Honest question: why?
Sheer unadulterated Cervelo Envy.

It's a problem.

By the way, for starting this stupid thread, no Cervelo for you.
Old 07-20-09, 06:59 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by gp
what's the acceptable max for a beginner's bike?
$9999.00 msrp.
10MTCocoa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Scott Addict (Dura-ace) which gives me more attention than I really care for. I can always tell the guy who "cares", its usually an orbea or cervelo rider that feels threatened that someone might have a "superior" bike then them. The guys on madones have never heard of scott. The guys on sevens and any Italian bike usually just hold their heard up high knowing the guy that sold them their bike said it was "the best" or even better "the most expensive" bike out there. and apparently now guys on bh frames want to know if you see the new "5" in the tour de france.... as if they have to legitimize their purchase

BTW, I don't give a **** what bike you ride, just don't get in my way on sunday
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete
Really, though? I mean, I've been guilty of it too, as everyone has, but criticizing a purchase, for whatever the reason do jour might be, is ultimately trying to exert some measure of superiority over another person. Why would we do that if we didn't feel the need to do it on some level?
really. example:

i have this exact bike. i somehow doubt that it is jealousy when i criticize the person for having this bike decked out like it is. it is me criticizing the use and the investment for that use, not because i can't afford the bike. maybe if you characterize this as jealousy, then your maxim holds. however, that would be a rather wide view of jealousy that would include nearly everything that we judge, from food, to hair cuts, to favorite sports teams.
Old 07-20-09, 07:01 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by grolby
I think it's fair to say that criticism is rooted in jealousy, but that it's unfair to mark that up as a failure of character in the envious people.

It really comes down to a sense of justice, I think. The question we ask ourselves is, "why does that person get to have a really nice piece of equipment, and I don't?" And yes, there are differences in values, desire, perception of value and so on, but one of the biggest factors in willingness to pay is ability to pay. Chances are, if you have a P4 with a Sub-9 disc and Red components, that you have a much higher income than I do. There are a lot of values tied up in income, but there's a definite implication in the culture that income is meritocratic: people who make that much money have earned it or deserved it. But this doesn't feel right to most of us. "What's so great about that guy compared to me?" And that question, at least, is a fair one; the distribution of people that we might consider deserving/undeserving on a moral basis is probably not correlated very much with wealth (I'm trying to split a political difference here between pure capitalists who see income as definitively meritocratic and Marxists who see high gross income as incontrovertible evidence of exploitation; what I mean is, the average moral feeling is probably somewhere in between those extremes). Anyway, the point is that the disconnect between wealth and moral merit tweaks our sense of justice. Again, what's so great about that guy? I'm a good person, but I can't afford a P4!

So yeah, people get envious, and sometimes we let it out. That's pretty normal behavior. Some people get pretty upset about this. Personally, there's a lot of stuff out there that makes me envious. There are some really nice bikes and gear out there I wish I could afford, even as the price tag horrifies me. $3k wheels? Inconceivable! But also desirable.

I try not to snipe at the folks with the expensive gear, but I can understand the shock people express at some n00b going all-in with the S3 and the Zipps and SRM, because I feel it, too. And most of us should at least feel that. It's okay. You're a social animal, you have a well-developed sense of justice. And it's true that the disparity is not, realistically speaking, fair. But is it productive to give people crap? Eh, not really. If you think it's a problem, the approach you need is political. Which could be personal, but on the internet it just turns into sniping. Or of course, depending upon your ideology, you can also accept that it's unfair and see that as one of the benefits of the system.

Ultimately, the point is that people get jealous for a reason, and being jealous doesn't make you a bad person. And buying expensive bike crap doesn't necessarily make you a bad person either. It's a complicated world.
And that's the Cliff's Notes version.
Old 07-20-09, 07:01 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You guys are so quick to assume its envy, when it could simply be curmudgeonlyness.
Same friggin thing.

I should know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.