Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Staying Hydrated

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Staying Hydrated

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 05:20 AM
heavypedal
Cycle Now

Bikes: Giant TCR, ProLite Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Staying Hydrated

If you live and commute in an area where the temps reach the triple digits like I do, then it is important for you to stay hydrated and replenish the electrolytes your body burns. Don't become a victim of dehydration. I suggest the ZYM Electrolyte drink for the ride.

Stay safe and hydrated this summer.
Old 07-22-09, 05:23 AM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest you buy add time here.

I replenish my electrolytes with a cold sam adams after the ride.
Old 07-22-09, 06:50 AM
kaseri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two words.... Hammer Nutrition
Old 07-22-09, 07:16 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smartwater
Old 07-22-09, 08:19 AM
supramax
Temporary Earthling

Bikes: Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homemade Gatoraide.

Dare I post the recipe?
Old 07-22-09, 08:22 AM
jeph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually, by the time you ride it is probably too late to hydrate. Drinking after the ride is a great time for your body to rehydrate. You should drink during the work day and "be" hydrated before you ride.

https://fitness.suite101.com/article...._stay_hydrated
Old 07-22-09, 08:25 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeph
actually, by the time you ride it is probably too late to hydrate. Drinking after the ride is a great time for your body to rehydrate. You should drink during the work day and "be" hydrated before you ride.

https://fitness.suite101.com/article...._stay_hydrated
+1. Its very important to stay hydrated in Colorado due to the dry climate. Best thing you can do is hydrate before you leave.
Old 07-22-09, 08:25 AM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one should be hydrated even when the're sitting at their desk typing. believe me i know. i'm chronically dehydrated.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 07-22-09, 09:36 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Water, or water plus the juice of 1/2 lemon, a pinch of salt and a couple tablespoons of maple syrup per water bottle. Works like a charm, costs next to nothing.
Old 07-22-09, 10:03 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1 bottle of water on the way to work. Usually drink 1/2 - 3/4 of it.
Refill and toss a Crystal Light in there, finish during rest during my morning routine before getting situated at my desk.
1 cup of coffee, no cream, no sugar.
Over the rest of the work day, I drink around 3 - 4 litres of water; it depends on whether it's a desk day or if I'm running around and troubleshooting stuff all over the labs.
2 more bottles on the bike for the ride home. Might only drink 1, but if I feel like some extra miles I've got the 2nd one there.
Another litre of water at home. Sometimes a ginger-ale, too.

For long rides (200k +), I've figured out my super-combo for hydration, electrolyte replacement, carb-intake enhancement, and protein intake:
1 scoop of CytoMax (Citrus Punch) and 1 scoop of IsoPure Zero-Carb (Mango Peach) in a 24oz bottle. 200 cal. and 25g of protein. I'll knock back one of those every 4 - 5 hours, and just drink water and take Endurolytes in between. With a routine steady caloric intake, that little booster every 4 - 5 hours is just the kick in the pants I need to keep on rolling after 12 or 15 hours.
Old 07-22-09, 11:25 AM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Not one accusation of trolling? BF members are slipping.

I drink a little over a gallon of water a day. I never seem to have hydration issues.
Old 07-22-09, 12:01 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavypedal
If you live and commute in an area where the temps reach the triple digits like I do, then it is important for you to stay hydrated and replenish the electrolytes your body burns. Don't become a victim of dehydration. I suggest the ZYM Electrolyte drink for the ride.

Stay safe and hydrated this summer.
You a shill?

I like coconut water or beer for post-ride electrolyte replenishing.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 07-22-09, 01:05 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Water, or water plus the juice of 1/2 lemon, a pinch of salt and a couple tablespoons of maple syrup per water bottle. Works like a charm, costs next to nothing.
seriously on the maple syrup?!?
I do love some lemon in my water.... and I understand the salt. but the syrup is...strange to me.

I try to drink 2 nalgene bottles (2 liters) of water a day when I'm not doing anything. Then more when I ride. I never feel dehydrated as long as I keep that up...but definitely notice if I start to slip on that.

but we get enough sodium in our diets normally that you really don't need the extra salt that it's in sports drinks and all. Just eat and drink water, and you'll usually be fine as long as you aren't exerting for over 2 hours or so.
Old 07-22-09, 01:27 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nahh
but we get enough sodium in our diets normally that you really don't need the extra salt that it's in sports drinks and all. Just eat and drink water, and you'll usually be fine as long as you aren't exerting for over 2 hours or so.
It's the over 2 hours mark that you need to start really being careful about the electrolyte balance, and if you know you'll be out that long then you have to start replenishing well before 2 hours.
Remember, sodium isn't the only important one to keep your muscles working; potassium and magnesium need to be in there, too.
Old 07-22-09, 01:35 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
seriously on the maple syrup?!?
I do love some lemon in my water.... and I understand the salt. but the syrup is...strange to me.
You're From Away, so I suppose that would make sense. It's like any other sugar source except that it's got some minerals. Maple syrup is one of the few natural food sources that's rich in zinc, for example.

I agree with you, mostly -- one of the biggest problems with "sports nutrition" and "sports hydration" is people who are doing a light workout (if that) consuming "energy drinks" and such as if they were running an ultramarathon -- BUT:

a)a tiny pinch of salt != what's in "sports drinks", and it WILL help with rehydration, which can be an issue in the conditions OP describes even with very light exertion, and
b)"we" all have different diets. Some people automatically salt their food and/or consume a lot of processed or restaurant food, and you can safely assume that they're probably taking in a lot of sodium. Some, OTOH, do their own cooking, don't automatically salt everything, and aren't getting an excess of sodium in their diet.
Old 07-22-09, 02:04 PM
DX Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's like any other sugar source except that it's got some minerals. Maple syrup is one of the few natural food sources that's rich in zinc, for example.
I take it that you're talking about real maple syrup, not aunt jemima or mrs. butterworths?
Old 07-22-09, 03:21 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DX Rider
I take it that you're talking about real maple syrup, not aunt jemima or mrs. butterworths?
DX, stop it. Stop it right now. Maple syrup is the boiled squeezings of the maple tree, full of the goodness that makes the sugar maple so beautiful. "Pancake syrup" is some brown corn syrup crap. Please tell me you don't use that "pancake syrup" crap.
Old 07-22-09, 03:58 PM
DX Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DX, stop it. Stop it right now. Maple syrup is the boiled squeezings of the maple tree, full of the goodness that makes the sugar maple so beautiful. "Pancake syrup" is some brown corn syrup crap. Please tell me you don't use that "pancake syrup" crap.
Just checking.
Old 07-22-09, 04:23 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with you, mostly -- one of the biggest problems with "sports nutrition" and "sports hydration" is people who are doing a light workout (if that) consuming "energy drinks" and such as if they were running an ultramarathon -- BUT:

a)a tiny pinch of salt != what's in "sports drinks", and it WILL help with rehydration, which can be an issue in the conditions OP describes even with very light exertion, and
b)"we" all have different diets. Some people automatically salt their food and/or consume a lot of processed or restaurant food, and you can safely assume that they're probably taking in a lot of sodium. Some, OTOH, do their own cooking, don't automatically salt everything, and aren't getting an excess of sodium in their diet.
I understand the salt part, that's why I said "and I understand the salt." I just usually don't throw it in my bottle w/ the water and lemon.

I'm saying "we" as the average american get plenty of sodium daily. Even if you are cooking every one of your meals, things like butter and meats have plenty of sodium so that the person exerting themselves mildly to moderately probably doesn't need much more.

p.s Totally agreed, real maple or nothing.....I just haven't ever thought "I should put this in my water bottle!" ....arrgh. now i want pancakes. well, i needed a post-ride snack anyway xD
Old 07-22-09, 04:53 PM
Tex_Arcana
Lone Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about unfiltered wild flower bee vomit instead of maple syrup. We got plenty of that stuff here in Texas but not much of a maple syrup industry.

Trying not to support too many imports.
Old 07-23-09, 06:12 AM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm saying "we" as the average american get plenty of sodium daily. Even if you are cooking every one of your meals, things like butter and meats have plenty of sodium so that the person exerting themselves mildly to moderately probably doesn't need much more.
Hell yeah...ever read the ingredient label on a Campbell's soup can? Lotsa sodium AND high fructose corn syrup, yummm.

p.s Totally agreed, real maple or nothing.....I just haven't ever thought "I should put this in my water bottle!" ....arrgh. now i want pancakes. well, i needed a post-ride snack anyway xD
My neighbor used to be a maple producer -- he had a sign on my land, which fronts on the main road, and I got a gallon of syrup a year in return. He's retired from that biz now, but I still have a backlog
Old 07-23-09, 06:26 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a kidney stone earlier this year and so now have to pay attention to my water intake. I try to follow a schedule, just to make sure I get the recommended eight glasses. When I get up in the morning, it's one glass of water and a glass of juice plus a little food. When I get to work 45 minutes later, I fill up a 16-ounce mug and try to get it all down by noon. With lunch I have eight ounces of something (water, juice, etc.) and then I fill up the16-ounce mug again and try to empty it before I ride home. Then, at home in the evening, I try to remember one more glass some time before I go to bed. It's a brutal schedule.
Old 07-23-09, 08:07 PM
GTALuigi

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can just jump into the river if i want to be any more hydrated
else i can just take a deep breath, and i'm filled with extra high humidity air.

i hate the summer here, humidity is at all time high, is like living inside a fish tank....