Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Advice - Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 09:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by crisklm
this is my position on the bike

https://i.postimg.cc/xjmQR3Z1/IMG-004509.jpg
Looks OK to me, assuming that you are able to lean forward a little more (when you are actually riding) to allow your arms to bend a bit more at the elbows. (I am assuming you had not done that in the photo because you are wearing jeans which are not the most comfortable for a longer ride.)
Old 01-18-24, 09:36 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
this is my position on the bike

https://i.postimg.cc/xjmQR3Z1/IMG-004509.jpg
oh my... that being your Bianchi road bike, I would not go any smaller than that. If you feel it works for you, ok. But I would certainly have expected a size larger...
That doesn;t seem like a 53 to me; and certainly your reach is hardly stretched out... About as upright as one might consider, for a road bike... For an OPA Fiets/Rad , you would get more upright.
Bending the elbows some more might help in riding comfort....
Things which come to mind - If you haven't ridden 'On-The-Hoods' much, it might feel 'unusual', after some longer period of time it should become more 'familiar' and even more comfortable...
Flexibility - if you're not very flexible in your lower back/hips, that would certain impact your 'comfort' - very common to have tight hamstring muscles which restrict that. It's surprising what just a month of light flexibility work will do to make a person/rider more limber, and comfortable.
... do you use cycling clothes/kit, cycling shoes with cleats? I hesitate to go further because the image in street clothes isn;t optimal, and fine tuning a position and posture from a pic is very difficult.
I've stopped doing that unless I have direct contact/interaction with a rider - there are so many personal variables so not working with a rider directly can be contentious.
But the Bianchi, with you on it is far from 'stretched out', more likely the opposite.
In any case going to a 51 size would not be my recommendation. An opinion, from many decades of performance cycling, and working with others....
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 01-18-24, 10:01 AM
crisklm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Looks OK to me, assuming that you are able to lean forward a little more (when you are actually riding) to allow your arms to bend a bit more at the elbows. (I am assuming you had not done that in the photo because you are wearing jeans which are not the most comfortable for a longer ride.)
I can't lean forward more than that because i have some problems with my spine. I tried yesterday riding with my hands on the hoods and it was very uncomfortable. Probably because i am not used to it.
Old 01-18-24, 10:17 AM
crisklm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
oh my... that being your Bianchi road bike, I would not go any smaller than that. If you feel it works for you, ok. But I would certainly have expected a size larger...
That doesn;t seem like a 53 to me; and certainly your reach is hardly stretched out... About as upright as one might consider, for a road bike... For an OPA Fiets/Rad , you would get more upright.
Bending the elbows some more might help in riding comfort....
Things which come to mind - If you haven't ridden 'On-The-Hoods' much, it might feel 'unusual', after some longer period of time it should become more 'familiar' and even more comfortable...
Flexibility - if you're not very flexible in your lower back/hips, that would certain impact your 'comfort' - very common to have tight hamstring muscles which restrict that. It's surprising what just a month of light flexibility work will do to make a person/rider more limber, and comfortable.
... do you use cycling clothes/kit, cycling shoes with cleats? I hesitate to go further because the image in street clothes isn;t optimal, and fine tuning a position and posture from a pic is very difficult.
I've stopped doing that unless I have direct contact/interaction with a rider - there are so many personal variables so not working with a rider directly can be contentious.
But the Bianchi, with you on it is far from 'stretched out', more likely the opposite.
In any case going to a 51 size would not be my recommendation. An opinion, from many decades of performance cycling, and working with others....
Ride On
Yuri
Yes it feels uncomfortable riding with the hands on the hoods, but i will try it more often to get used to it.
Bending more forward would be a problem for me because i have some problems with my spine.
I usually ride in cycling clothes with cycling shoes and cleats.
To the work (4km) i ride in jeans.
I compared the Bianchi to other size 53 road bikes , of my friends, and it is indeed much smaller in comparison.
I think i'll take your recommendation into account and not buy the bike, without the possibility to test it.
thanks!
Old 01-18-24, 10:18 AM
crisklm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your opinions and advice!
Cheers,
Cristian
Old 01-18-24, 11:42 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Yes it feels uncomfortable riding with the hands on the hoods, but i will try it more often to get used to it.
Bending more forward would be a problem for me because i have some problems with my spine.
I usually ride in cycling clothes with cycling shoes and cleats.
To the work (4km) i ride in jeans.
I compared the Bianchi to other size 53 road bikes , of my friends, and it is indeed much smaller in comparison.
I think i'll take your recommendation into account and not buy the bike, without the possibility to test it.
thanks!
Ok
Flexibility can still be improved, depending on the issues. I also have spinal issues, great compaction of the disks and scoliosis.
If you don't have significant issues with your hip/femur joints, then flexibility can still be improved.
The key is to retain back structure and strength.
Do stretches specific to hamstrings.
If doing a forward fold, keep a straight back. Not allowing the Head to fall forward of the alignment with the spinal column wil allow you to keep a 'straight' (curve) in the back without stress on the vertebrae or pelvis.
The objective is to go no further forward than the point where you feel strong resistance. There is no real 'fold goal'. Varies for everyone.
Then hang there for a while, keeping back 'straight'. The muscles will slowly relax and slowly allow you to sink a bit further.
DOn't hold breath, breath normally or a bit deeper - it helps greatly.
If you feel a little stress on the back, it's OK to rest your hands/palms on your knees, light, soft bend to the arms. Light weight relief not firm truss support.
Do a couple times a day, if possible, often 4 -5 minutes at most.
Over not too long a time, your forward flexibility will increase greatly, with no further stress on your problem areas.
Make your goal = relaxing into the fold , not any certain amount of fold.
Don;t bounce dynamically, this works because you slowly allow the muscle to open and relax more.
This also will greatly reduce any potential for future hamstring issues due to over-stress or over-use.
remember, straight back and head/neck, firm, gentle, steady - let time and consistency do the work.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: keeping the head/neck in line reduces stress on the spine below the cervical area. For others, they may not have problems in the spine, so a natural softness in the neck is ok, and feels fine/good. Forcing a forward fold to be able to touch the toes may be too much, too much stress on the spine/neck and shoulders.
Everything comes in small steps - much better !

Last edited by cyclezen; 01-18-24 at 11:49 AM.