Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Road oriented tire and resistant

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 02:49 AM
samonzeweb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

On my Origin Trail I bought last fall I have 40mm tubeless "Schwalbe G-One RS" tires. Those seems great as they are light, easy to mount and have a really good efficiency. As I'm a new member I can't post an URL toward the product, sorry (forum anti-spam rule).

But I had two punctures in a short time range, one very small and other more severe. Worst, even for the first very small puncture the sealant could not do its job (there were enough, and not too old). These tires are great on dry road or dry forest path, but when things get wet and a little dirty they seems to not be resistant.

Perhaps I just had no luck, two punctures are not a great sample for statistics... but it seems those tires are more dedicated to race on dry surface and are not very versatile in term of weather condition. Yes I chose my tires without enough data, I'm a "beginner". Mistake !

Perhaps you could give me your own experience with those tires to confirm (or not) my own experience and point of view.

Also, if I'm right, I'm looking for an alternative. As a beginner, and as it's difficult to find objective data, I need some help. I search a tire...
  • A 40mm (or at least 35mm) / 28".
  • Tubeless.
  • Puncture resistant, for all weather conditions.
  • Road oriented. I chose a gravel for the position/comfort. I don't want to loose power due to big knobs on the tires, efficiency is important.
I understand there is a tradeoff between efficiency and puncture resistance, and I will probably loose some efficiency by changing actual my tires. No problem, I just try to give the overall idea. After that I'll have to deal with "reality".

Thanks for your upcoming help.
Sam.

Last edited by samonzeweb; 03-07-24 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-07-24, 05:45 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of gravel slicks. I have used several that I liked, but I found them prone to punctures on the road. Since you're looking for road oriented tires, one I would suggest is the Donnelly Strada USH. They come in a 32 and 40mm.

I use the 32mm tires as my winter road tire (on my gravel bike). These are not lightweight slicks, but more robust gravel tires suited for roads and smooth gravel. I've been using them for years and never had a flat. They roll really well, but of course have the disadvantage of being a little heavier and stiffer than most gravel slicks.

Also, if you are using a latex sealant, consider getting a Stan's Dart tool to help with punctures that the sealant cannot handle alone.
Old 03-07-24, 06:40 AM
samonzeweb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I take note of the "Donnelly Strada USH".

By "road" I mean either Gravel Slick, Road or Tour tires (not sure for the "tour" term, I'm not English native), as long as they are rather slick and wide enough (yes, I like comfort). As an example, on my other old bike I mounted some Marathon from Schwalbe (tubetype), they really shined in term of puncture resistance. I found only one tubeless Marathon (the AlMotion) I'll dig into it more. Also I need to check how efficient this kind of tour tire is.

I've already have a Zefal tool to repair tires (see picture) using adhesive plugs/bits (I found different terms). I used it yesterday for the first time. It sounds crazy to put it in a tire, but it's really efficient.

Last edited by samonzeweb; 03-07-24 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For samonzeweb:
Old 03-07-24, 08:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Before I gave up on a relatively new tire, I'd try adding new, fresh sealant to the existing tires.
Old 03-07-24, 09:53 AM
samonzeweb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Before I gave up on a relatively new tire, I'd try adding new, fresh sealant to the existing tires.
Fresh sealant did not do the trick. My first puncture was light, I could get back to home with a low but sufficient pressure. Also I could not clearly identify the point of the puncture, just the area (it was almost invisible). I though is was ok, clean the tire, added fresh sealant. Thinks get worse because the hole was not repaired. It was just ok until I added more pressure and start riding again.

I'm not giving up. I did some research and those tires could be great in summer under dry condition and few risk of rain. They are "performance tires" for specific condition.

But those are really not suitable for wet & dirty environment without a high risk of puncture. I need other tires for the next weeks, and can still use the current ones in the summer. And re-swap when the fall arrive. I avoid to ride under the rain, or if the weather is very unpredictable... but if I want to ride enough wet roads (and sometimes dirty, especially near fields or roadworks) are unavoidable.
Old 03-07-24, 12:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
What sealant did you use? Not all sealant is any good. Personally I, and many others, have good experiences using Orange Seal. I've also fixed a number of other people's punctures using my Dynaplugs.

Continental GP 5000 AS TR comes in 35mm and is one of the fastest rolling tires with good puncture protection and wet grip.

Pirelli Cinturato Velos are also available in 35mm. In my experience they're noticeably slower than the Contis but have very high puncture protection. I've used these as my commuting tires through seasons where the road shoulders are wet and gritty, as well as gravel.
Old 03-07-24, 01:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Pirelli Cinturato Velos are also available in 35mm. In my experience they're noticeably slower than the Contis but have very high puncture protection. I've used these as my commuting tires through seasons where the road shoulders are wet and gritty, as well as gravel.
I have had these for almost a year now and love them. I chose them for the reflective sidewalls, but the performance and ride quality have been good too. I can only compare them on my gravel bike to GP5000 AS TR on my road bike (and narrower at that), but they're not terribly slow... I average about 0.2mph slower on the same routes.
Old 03-07-24, 07:46 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Specialized S Works Pathfinder might check most of your boxes

42 mm listed width - but might be closer to 41 mm (rim width can affect also)
Old 03-08-24, 02:05 AM
samonzeweb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
What sealant did you use?
The sealant was the origin one, so I don't really know. There were probbly enough, my bike were really dirty, after that (not just a few traces). The bike is a Origine one, it's not a "cheap" bike maker so I hope they used a good one.

I added DT-Swiss (for low pressure). I also have a Hutchinson one in advance.

The more I dig yesterday, the more I find confirmation that my actual tires are not puncture resistant enough for mid-season condition. And as I have a week of vacation starting from this evening, I bough "in emergency" a pair of "Pirelli Cinturato All Road". I will loose efficiency, but they seems to be good from a puncture resistance point of view.

I didn't find the recommended "Donnelly Strada USH" (it does not seem to be available here, at least not easily). I did some research especially using this the Bike Rolling Resistance website (sorry by I can't publish URLs now, I could do it later when I'll have at least 10 posts). I had to cope with availability as I want them fast. So the choice was rather constrained. I hope to have them on Monday, and as i''ll probably rain, it'll be a good day to do some bike maintenance work.

I would have liked to anticipate more, but the more I dig into the topic yesterday the more I realized I'll better to have other tires for the mid-season, and don't want to risk more troubles next week. I want to have good time, but I also need to train, because riding bike is also a cross training for Roller Speed Skating which is another sport I do. And I want to participate to the French Roller Marathon Masters Championship mid April (and I really need more training).

Thanks for other recommendations posted during the night (I'm in UTC+1 time zone). I appreciate them and will take more time to dig into all recommended options. I'll buy other tires, it'll be useful. Don't hesitate to add other tips or recommendations.

Last edited by samonzeweb; 03-08-24 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 09:07 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Specialized S Works Pathfinder might check most of your boxes

42 mm listed width - but might be closer to 41 mm (rim width can affect also)
Yep, I run these on road, off road/gravel, single track. The are limited on full on MTB trails, rideable, but limited... they are decent to good in all other situations.