Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hammer Nutrition

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hammer Nutrition

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 05:13 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hammer Nutrition

I got a catalog yesterday from this company and was wondering if anyone uses their products (they have many) and what you think of them?

Hammer Gel, Recoverite, Endurolytes, Heed look to be the more mainline products.

...hey, they even have pint glasses...must be for the "After Recovery" portion of the workout.
Old 05-01-07, 05:54 AM
RacerX99
Wisco Rambler

Bikes: DiamondBack Centurion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammer supported the Horribly Hilly Hundreds last year. After using thier products for 10 hours in 90+ degrees 80% humidity I was sold. I have used them ever since. I do not get the sour stomach from Heed or Hammer Gel, like some products.
Old 05-01-07, 06:09 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I prefer Clif gel, I buy the hammer gel by the jug because it's cheaper than individual gel packets and you can water it down in the gel bottle so it's not as thick so easier to get at compared sucking it out of a packet. From what I've seen there bars are extremely expensive so I haven't tried them.
Old 05-01-07, 06:13 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I have been using their gels for about six months now. Like clausen, I prefer clif shots but they just aren't as convenient since they quit making the large containers. The hammer gel works perfect in the flask, quick, easy and no trash while riding.
Old 05-01-07, 06:19 AM
redden
Old fart

Bikes: 02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
endurolytes when a sweet drink is unappealing. For me most of the time.
Old 05-01-07, 06:46 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Hammer Heed is the most effective, stomach pleasing sports drink I have used yet.
Old 05-01-07, 07:15 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I started using Hammer products this year because the shop I race for stocks it, and I'm glad for the switch.

HEED - Best sports drink I've tried. You can mix it to a strength that meets all of your calorie needs on the bike, and it's still tolerable.

Hammer Gel - Great tasting stuff, and similar to HEED in composition. Apple Cinnamon might be the single best tasting gel on the planet.

Recoverite - I was slowest to come around to recoverite, mainly because I had 2 big tubs of Endurox in the pantry, but now that I've switched I prefer it. Same lighter flavor as HEED, and easier on the stomach.

And if you're a gel junkie, the big bottles of Hammer Gel (flask included) are a great way to go.
Old 05-01-07, 07:55 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I switched to hammer gel this year, it's easy to stomach and works well. I use it in a flask mixed with very little water to make it smoother. I have some sample of heed I will try this week and may give the recoverite a try soon.
Old 05-01-07, 08:04 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the input. I may order some things and try them out.
Old 05-01-07, 08:18 AM
beaus pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All there products are great and they ahve great customer service...I have just started to use the perpetum for long rides combined with the electrlite tabs and water a great combo and I take a flask of gel just for a taste change...
Old 05-01-07, 08:31 AM
yakes_md
Hopped up on goofballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't used their products, but two of my riding buddies really like the Endurolyte capsules. They're both training for PBP and are doing alot of long distance riding. The people at Hammer ride and use the products they sell. They're very helpful if you have any questions about getting yourself dialed in on the amount of nutrition you need to keep from bonking. Good company, I'll be trying their products this season.
Old 05-01-07, 08:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
The Hammer products are just fine, I use Endurolytes mostly.

Just don't take the company's "science" as the truth. There's a lot of opinion in their literature.

Old 05-01-07, 08:37 AM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sold on Hammer's products. The gels I use before a race, about 15-20 minutes and even the plain tastes good. Although, now that I think about it, stay away from the Tropical. It sounds good but tastes awful!

I use the Heed, in conjunction with water, during races and it seems to help the energy levels. Racing MTBs I am getting a new hydration pack, Hydropack that I can put two bladders in, one for water and one for Heed as it's very difficult to get a water bottle out while MTB racing.

Then, the item I was most skeptical on is the Recoverite. I refused to buy it for about a year. I broke down this year as I've heard good things like: "I got done riding and my legs started to hurt, I took the Recoverite and it subsided to a dull pain that I could walk normally again." So I purchased this and used it after hard rides not knowing if it did make a difference. Until Sunday that is. I did a nice ride, about 20 miles, then hooked up with a group ride. Someone went off the front to start a "fast" ride, so I joined and joined in the lead on the way out with the wind at our backs.

About another 20 miles later I stopped at the LBS with the rest of the group. I was standing around talking and my legs were starting get really sore, and I still had about eight miles to go home. Anyway, I got home with sore legs and went right for a double dose of Recoverite. I drank it while relaxing in the shade thinking "I'm never going mow the lawn today". Well, I'll be damned if shortly after having the drink, I felt alright enough to get moving and mow the lawn. I'm not saying it will take the pain completely away, as I still feel a little bit sore today, but very tolerable. I'm sold. If only I had this back in high school, oh so many years ago...
Old 05-01-07, 08:45 AM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently found the Hammer Gels and I prefer them over Clif and Gu(my old favorites). I like the very short list of ingredients, and it works. I do plan on trying to make my own though. I just cannot afford $1.25 a pop.
Old 05-01-07, 08:46 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I got a catalog yesterday from this company and was wondering if anyone uses their products (they have many) and what you think of them?

Hammer Gel, Recoverite, Endurolytes, Heed look to be the more mainline products.

...hey, they even have pint glasses...must be for the "After Recovery" portion of the workout.
I'm a fan of their Heed sports drink, and gels. They seem to work as well or better than most.

... Brad
Old 05-01-07, 09:17 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i use an Apple Cinnamon gel, about 5-10 minutes before a ride, and i notice a definite difference over the Gu gels i used to use...

i use HEED for most of my rides, and i can honestly say it's a noticeable improvement over any other sports drink i've tried, to the point that it's the only drink i take with me on short rides now.

i use Recoverite, because it's much easier on my stomach than Endurox. i wait until the end of the ride to mix the power and water though, so i keep a shaker with 2 scoops of powder and an 8oz. bottle of Poland Spring handy in my bag, then mix and shake it when i'm done with the ride.

i'm going to try Perpetuem on the Montauk Century i plan on doing on May 20th, with 2 bottles pre-mixed and carry along 2 single serving packets for when i refill the 2 bottles with water during the ride. i've heard that it has consistency issues that Sustained Energy doesn't have though, and that it sinks to the bottom of the bottle in really hot weather, but it doubt it will be that hot this early in the season. if it was going to be a really hot and humid day, i would use the same technique with Sustained Energy instead...
Old 05-01-07, 09:31 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Hammer Gel, and appreciate the bulk containers. It sucks that most of the other companies discontinued that packaging. I also have some Endurolyte capsules that I'll try when it really heats up.
Old 05-01-07, 10:04 AM
MIN 
big ring

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys buy this stuff from online vendors or at the LBS? I need to stop shopping at Performance so much.
Old 05-01-07, 10:07 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
You guys buy this stuff from online vendors or at the LBS? I need to stop shopping at Performance so much.
I bought mine from a nutrition store next to my gym.
Old 05-01-07, 10:08 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love their gel.
Old 05-01-07, 10:17 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIN
i placed my first order with Hammer directly, and they actually sent me some free stuff (3 gels, 1 packet of Perpetuem, 1 bar) with my order, which is how i got hooked on the Apple Cinnamon Gel. if i need it right away, i'll get it locally. if i can wait a week or so, i'll order it directly...
Old 05-01-07, 10:20 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cromulent
I love their gel.
+1.

But they're a team sponsor so im probably biased.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 05-01-07, 10:27 AM
RideLots
:Merckx on training

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix (fix), Blue RC4-alu (in progress), Gazelle Champion Mondial (modern convert)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use.
I like.

75% HEED with 25% Perpetuem in one bottle actually calms your stomach, tastes great (not too sweet) and gives you lots of sustainable energy.
Old 05-01-07, 10:40 AM
Paniolo

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've used Hammer Gel for a couple of years. I liked the ingrediant list, but the main reason was the bulk container and flask which allows you to take just the amount you want and doesn't have the mess of a used packet. Also the cost goes way down with the bulk package ... last time I bought less than $.70 per use. I like the Raspberry and the Apple Cinnamon.
Old 05-01-07, 10:40 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The thing I do not like about Hammer stuff is that the way they have it packaged, you end up having to get multiple products to get enough calories AND electrolytes. HEED and Hammergels contain almost no sodium. While Hammer's marketing is true that sodium is not the only electrolyte you need, it is still essential, and you're not going to get nearly enough from HEED or Hammergels alone. In order to get it (from a Hammer product, anyway), you'll need to pick up their Endurolytes, so there's more crap to buy, more crap to carry, more crap to fool around with (of course, Hammer also sells several gimmicky Endurolyte-dispensing devices, too, more $$$).

I'm not saying it's bad stuff; clearly many athletes use their products and have success. But it seems like there's a lot of marketing trickery going on; you kind of have to buy in to more than just one product to get what you need. I prefer the convenience of other products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.