Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

polar power meter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

polar power meter

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 06:14 AM
3dsteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
polar power meter

be for i get slammed for not using the search ,i did try ,but i got nothing . im looking to start training with power but don't need to spend a lot of money ,so the question is should i get the polar power meter, i know that it is not as accurate as a power tap but it is lighter and you can use any wheel you like plus it is cheaper ,all comments are welcomed .
Old 04-25-09, 07:28 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The Polar system is relatively high maintenance, but does an OK job for most things. It's reasonably consistent even though the accuracy isn't necessarily there. But that doesn't really matter as long as you're riding the same setup all the time. Also, it's fairly slow to respond to quick accelerations, so it's not as useful for sprint intervals etc.

If you're on a budget and you're looking primarily for a power meter to get you into power training and you're not training for crits, it's a decent compromise and a good value.

I used the power kit with an S725X and it was a great gateway drug into buying a powertap.
Old 04-25-09, 07:37 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have the compatible Polar watch already? If not, you could probably find a used Powertap for the same price. That being said, if set up correctly, the Polar has been shown to produce some repeatable results. The problem is that it is very finicky and a pain in the ass to set up correctly.
Old 04-25-09, 07:56 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems like a reasonably cheap option if you don't mind the lack of absolute accuracy and poor short duration peformance. I compared a teammates polar file to my own data on a ride with both did where we were evenly matched on a bunch of short power climbs and his read way low for the climbs but was close otherwise. If you already have one of the 625/725 series watches I actually have one I could sell... never used...
Old 04-25-09, 08:12 AM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete

I used the power kit with an S725X and it was a great gateway drug into buying a powertap.
Same here. The Polar PM (the one that works with the S7xx series "watches", the new one may be different) is a lot of work to set up, and the plug that connects the wiring harness to the watch mount is very delicate. Mine went bad after about 6 months. I can solder but not on wires that fine.

One good thing about the polar system is that it shows left/right balance and also attempts to tell you how "round" your pedal stroke is.
Old 04-25-09, 09:38 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I looked into ages ago, but I decided it didn't wanna put all this stuff on my bike -- and they're kind of expensive down here

Here's the thread I started:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=176976

Old 04-25-09, 09:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
If you don't already have the polar HRM, by the time you've bought the whole system, you're into the cost of a powertap.

Check out competitive cyclist's deal on a complete PT setup with wheel.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-25-09, 09:54 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the one for the S725 wrist unit. It's a little different than the CS version. I have had nothing but good luck and good results with mine. I also did lots of research on how best to set it up and followed the best advice possible.

The instructions that come with the unit are not that great. The best instructions are the videos on the Polar website. After I got it set up I did a test to check consistency on my rollers. Everything checked out. I currently have the unit only on my TT bike, since I do my interval workouts on it. The best peice of advice I can offer based on my experience is measure and re-measure everything when installing the unit and once you get going make sure to change the batteries often. All of my failures were due to dying batteries. I keep a stock of them on hand for the wrist unit and the power unit. Lucky for me the power unit uses camera batteries readily available at Ritz. The wrist unit were special order. I have a pic of it mounted somewhere...

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 04-25-09, 09:55 AM
3dsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info, i dont have the watch but i do have a set of custom legiro wheels that i would like to use so i would have the cost of building a new wheel then i would need a spare wheel for races so the PT seems like a larger expense maybe i should look into an SRM
Old 04-25-09, 10:01 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
90% of the people who say the Polar sucks have never even seen one, much less used one. I have the CS600 and love it. The retail price isn't as good a deal as a used Powertap but there's no reason to pay retail. I got mine on Ebay for $475, minus another $120 for MS Cashback. I sold the CS400 I already had for $191 so my net cost was $165.

As mentioned it's not super accurate and it can be finicky. It does have some BIG advantages like the ability to program workouts into the head unit and be guided thru them. Polar's experience as an endurance training product company really comes thru in the Polar Pro Trainer software. I think the graphs are far better than WKO, which you can still download to anyway. PPT is a better training diary. The complete system is much lighter than similarly priced Powertaps and you have the freedom to use any wheel.

I used to think the wattage display was more erratic but not anymore. I have a Spinervals DVD that shows a few riders using Powertaps. Their wattage displays fluctuated as much if not more than the Polar. Once I hit my wattage target I just maintain the cadence that output correlates to. The main downside is the lag. What the Polar shows as your peak power is really closer to 3-3.5sec power so you miss peaks. My Kurt Kinetic computer showed a 1,399 max once while the Polar was something in the 1,200 range; can't recall.

The newer CS600X addresses the short memory issue and has a GPS option. GREAT deal if you get in under $500, otherwise buy used Powertap. It's only clunky if you're standing right next to it. I don't even really notice it anymore.

Originally Posted by 3dsteve
thanks for the info, i dont have the watch but i do have a set of custom legiro wheels that i would like to use so i would have the cost of building a new wheel then i would need a spare wheel for races so the PT seems like a larger expense maybe i should look into an SRM
Wha? The SRM is twice the cost of a Powertap.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 04-25-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 10:44 AM
cedricbosch
W.W.DZ.D?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like wires, you'll love the Polar.

Used PT is the way to go.
Old 04-25-09, 11:16 AM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used PT. The Powertap will be less of a hassle and will be way less wires.
Old 04-25-09, 11:31 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i had the polar cs600 for a while... it's pretty good. i actually ended up not using the power function and just used it as a heart rate monitor. i could never get the power dialed in 100% and the infrequent lapse in data was just annoying enough not to use it. plus the whole battery pack and power sensor is butt ugly on the bike, IMO.
Old 04-25-09, 01:04 PM
Myfirsttrek

Bikes: 07' Madone 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
I have the CS600 and love it. The retail price isn't as good a deal as a used Powertap but there's no reason to pay retail. I got mine on Ebay for $475, minus another $120 for MS Cashback. I sold the CS400 I already had for $191 so my net cost was $165.

As mentioned it's not super accurate and it can be finicky. It does have some BIG advantages like the ability to program workouts into the head unit and be guided thru them. Polar's experience as an endurance training product company really comes thru in the Polar Pro Trainer software. I think the graphs are far better than WKO, which you can still download to anyway. PPT is a better training diary. The complete system is much lighter than similarly priced Powertaps and you have the freedom to use any wheel.

I used to think the wattage display was more erratic but not anymore. I have a Spinervals DVD that shows a few riders using Powertaps. Their wattage displays fluctuated as much if not more than the Polar. Once I hit my wattage target I just maintain the cadence that output correlates to. The main downside is the lag. What the Polar shows as your peak power is really closer to 3-3.5sec power so you miss peaks. My Kurt Kinetic computer showed a 1,399 max once while the Polar was something in the 1,200 range; can't recall.

The newer CS600X addresses the short memory issue and has a GPS option. GREAT deal if you get in under $500, otherwise buy used Powertap. It's only clunky if you're standing right next to it. I don't even really notice it anymore.

Wha? The SRM is twice the cost of a Powertap.
+1 Well said.
I have the CS600 and power, i really like it. It's accurate enough to use for training. As far as finicky goes, I haven't noticed anything. It really isn't that hard to setup either. For the cost it is worth it. The only downside is that it kinda looks gay, but if you are man enough to deal with it and not let your local group weenies give you a hard time, then its worth it.
Old 04-25-09, 01:18 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by 3dsteve
maybe i should look into an SRM
quarq
Old 04-25-09, 01:33 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Polar CS600 with power $659.95
https://www.trinowfitness.com/en/pola...ith-power.html

Powertap comp DT RR1.1 wheel $659.99
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...uters.351.html

Numbers obviously would move around shopping used, ebay, and if you already owned a Polar HRM.

Starting out fresh, I'd pony up the $.04 for the PT
Old 04-25-09, 04:49 PM
3dsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Polar CS600 with power $659.95
https://www.trinowfitness.com/en/pola...ith-power.html

Powertap comp DT RR1.1 wheel $659.99
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...uters.351.html

Numbers obviously would move around shopping used, ebay, and if you already owned a Polar HRM.

Starting out fresh, I'd pony up the $.04 for the PT
i can get a polar for $435.00 complete and new
Old 04-25-09, 04:53 PM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a power meter that does not work for cheap get an Ibike.
Old 04-25-09, 07:54 PM
wideAMG
Senior Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the CS600 polar no doubt has a superior program and interface.

the polar power does have the main advantage of freedom of wheels and cranks. this is important to some who have training wheels and race day wheels. SRM is the pro choice but start at $2000. its not fair to compare a USED PT to a new polar power, you can get a USED polar power even cheaper.

check out reviews on the CS600 with power. the accuracy is not that bad.
Old 04-25-09, 08:05 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Polar power meter is a complete waste of time. There was a review that did a 3 way shootout with powertap vs polar vs srm. Polar was by far, the worst. As of right now, if you're serious about training with power, the minimum is going to be a powertap.
Old 04-25-09, 08:11 PM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Polar power meter is a complete waste of time. There was a review that did a 3 way shootout with powertap vs polar vs srm. Polar was by far, the worst. As of right now, if you're serious about training with power, the minimum is going to be a powertap.
I absolutely agree.
The Polar is junk.
You might as well just ride with heart rate.
If you do want to get a power meter, that works, and you dont want to mess up your wheel situation get a Quark. You will regret getting the Polar. I know its 650ish$ but that is just spending 650$ to realize that Polars are not real power meters. Here are your best options...
SRM
Quark
Powertap

Here are the ones that suck.
Ergo
Polar
Ibike

I have friends who have all ridden the last three. What they ended up doing after a couple of months of frustration was buying one of the first three. There is a reason that the Polar is so much cheeper than the others.
Old 04-25-09, 08:13 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
Here are your best options...
SRM
Quarq
Powertap

Here are the ones that suck.
Ergomo
Polar
Ibike
Fixed
Old 04-25-09, 08:15 PM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Fixed
sorry
Old 04-25-09, 08:22 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
sorry
Hehe, they brought it on themselves for picking a cute mispelling, but I still feel it's my duty to correct people

At least you didn't call it a Quarg
Old 04-25-09, 08:23 PM
Greenfast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only had my Polar CS600 since November, but with the limited time I have spent with it over the winter on the rollers and the rides I have done so far this fall I have been satisfied with what I get for results. The thing is it might not be as accurate as a PT, but it is consistent within it's own readings. As far as the setup, as long as you read through the directions, and do it right the first time you are fine, I guess if you aren't good at following directions this isn't for you. Also I have 2 wheelsets, on for training and one for racing, and like being able to swap back and forth without having to sacrifice not having data when I get done with my ride. Yes I bought mine used and got a great deal on it, maybe if I was starting from scratch I would lean towards a PT, but I feel I am getting the data I need from what I have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.