Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which one would you choose?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 02:22 AM
martonkaa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm going to the biggest bike shop in the capital. I'm looking for a long distance tourer , it's a german trekking style bike.
Which one would you choose? They are almost at the same prices, design is equal , However I don't know much about the parts so I ask you to please help me which is better in you oppinion (even if it's not sold in the US.) These are rigid fork models they accept a lowrider rack which is a curiosum in Hungary (now I know that 95 percent of the bikes have suspended forks)

CUBE Touring RF men white black red

Bergamont Vitess 6.4 Gent 2014

CUBE Delhi RF
(A little bit more expensive, but all Bikes are aroung 1050 usd)

Thank you for your reply in advance
(fietsbob I know I can't settle down, I'm a complete begineer, but know I settled down this is my final decision. I know I was a bit annoying)
Old 04-14-14, 05:36 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There is, as far as I can tell, little to pick between the first two bikes. The third one has slightly higher quality components on them -- XT front and rear derailleurs, better quality shifters and Magura hydraulic brakes. I don't know about the German rim maker, Schurmann, but I personally don't like Alex rims much.

The are well equipped, down to the dynohubs and the lights.

I would probably stump up the slight extra cash for the Delhi RF.
Old 04-14-14, 02:23 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'll go with Rowan he knows his touring bike.
besides its a nice looking bike and will do the job no problem.
best of luck with your choice and your tour.

anto.
Old 04-14-14, 05:32 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The only reservation I would have is the hydraulic rim brakes. My limited experience with hydraulic disc brakes would make me a little leery of using hydraulics for extended tours. I'm still not in the mechanical disc brakes camp for touring--yet.
Old 04-14-14, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
The only reservation I would have is the hydraulic rim brakes. My limited experience with hydraulic disc brakes would make me a little leery of using hydraulics for extended tours. I'm still not in the mechanical disc brakes camp for touring--yet.
Mechanical discs are great. Hydraulic on tour seems a little iffier because they require more skill to maintain and repair.

My reservations with these bikes would mainly be flat bars. I wouldn't want to tour without multiple hand positions like I can get in my drop bars and I know replacing flats with drops is not really a cheap easy process. You could go with the Euro "dumbo" bars but I like my drops. Also not a fan of aluminum, I find steel rides better and is repairable just about anywhere.

If you did get the Dehli I would switch out the rack it comes with for a Tubus or Surly Nice Rack so you can handle panniers better.
Old 04-15-14, 05:32 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by martonkaa
...Which one would you choose?
CUBE Touring RF men white black red

Bergamont Vitess 6.4 Gent 2014

CUBE Delhi RF
(A little bit more expensive, but all Bikes are aroung 1050 usd)

...Thank you for your reply in advance
Of the three I'd choose the Cube Touring RF. It's the least complicated (manual brakes) and it's a brand I've read good reviews about. All three look to be a good choice and shows you've learned a lot in the last few days.

Brad

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Mechanical discs are great. Hydraulic on tour seems a little iffier because they require more skill to maintain and repair.

My reservations with these bikes would mainly be flat bars. I wouldn't want to tour without multiple hand positions like I can get in my drop bars and I know replacing flats with drops is not really a cheap easy process. You could go with the Euro "dumbo" bars but I like my drops. Also not a fan of aluminum, I find steel rides better and is repairable just about anywhere.

If you did get the Dehli I would switch out the rack it comes with for a Tubus or Surly Nice Rack so you can handle panniers better.
All of my bikes are aluminum, including two Cannondale touring bikes, one of which has very high mileage and is my beater bike. Durability just hasn't been an issue. If or when the OEM rack proves unsuitable is the time to replace it.

Brad
Old 04-16-14, 10:36 AM
Agent 9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd go with either of the CUBE bikes, nothing wrong with aluminium frames, probably the Delhi RF because it has much better shifters and derailleurs (and the 10 speed drive train shouldn't wear much differently than 9 speed would, if you clean and lube the chain properly), and if you think the hydraulic brakes will be an issue it is pretty easy to swap in a nice set of mechanical v brakes (nice levers, good housing, and decent brakes with koolstop pads will give you amazing brakes, or just use the hydro setup with koolstop pads and have great brakes)

If the bars it comes with don't fit you well then try an alt bar like the On-One Mary or the less swept Feegle. I run a Mary bar flipped upside down on my touring bike, there are 3 real good hand positions on the bar, and the sweep is just right.