Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Stroke survivor biking?

Old 01-24-19, 08:03 PM
Woodsman Rick

Bikes: CO-OP CTY 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stroke survivor biking?

My adult son had a stroke a couple of years back. He’s no longer in a wheelchair and gets around pretty well with a walking stick. His left arm and leg do not have full function. Not much at all really.

Any ideas for him to be able to cycle? Maybe a trike? If possible I’m sure it could be a wonderful thing for him! Any other stroke survivor cyclists out there?

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 01-24-19, 08:54 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A trike or handcycle is a possible solution. There is adaptive equipment out there, and ways to get him cycling. It's great exercise (PT in a more fun way). Seeing scenery is also good.
Old 01-25-19, 09:55 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Sorry if this seems pain in the ass, but the medical people and his current heart and brain conditions are OK with the exercise?*

The trike idea seems logical and appropriate for him. There is the ability to sit and stand from a quite low position, but if he is determined, I cannot of anything getting him defeated by this.

The trike idea seems best at initially because it overcomes the issues related to balance,manouvrability, and protection against any further medical issues should be fall and hit his head. And while there are differences in people's thoughts on this, having him wear a safety helmet irrespective of whether it's one a trike, is remains an important think.

* Go see the thread about me titled "Rowan" in the 50 Plus Forum if you don't think I could offer any knowledge about this sort of subject. The thread does show that I am also a recovered cyclist, who is back on his ordinary bicycles and covered up to 40km in one ride.
Old 01-25-19, 10:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
A friend of my son's is similarly situated. He is recovering from a stroke, but it has impaired his balance and coordination. For that reason, a recumbent tricycle (I think Catrike) was the best solution. It is worth getting a good one, and being able to try before you buy. It might also be something an insurance plan would be willing to contribute to. Good luck to your son.
Old 01-26-19, 12:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
A friend of my son's is similarly situated. He is recovering from a stroke, but it has impaired his balance and coordination. For that reason, a recumbent tricycle (I think Catrike) was the best solution. It is worth getting a good one, and being able to try before you buy. It might also be something an insurance plan would be willing to contribute to. Good luck to your son.
My father-in-law has a Catrike, and it's one of the best of its type I have ridden. And indeed, it is all about getting a good one, irrespective of whether Catrike or another similar-quality brand..
Old 01-27-19, 05:59 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I don't have much advice to offer, but wanted to say that I occasionally ride with a guy who had a stroke. He's about 39 or so, and had a stroke when he was 32. I've never talked with him much about how he was able to get back on a bike, but he was - both road and mountain. Prior to his stroke he was apparently an extremely competitive racer. I believe it took him years to be able to ride again but he was determined.

He has difficulty clipping into his pedals - yes he still uses clipless for both road and mtb - and he sometimes has trouble shifting on his bad side. Things like changing a flat are challenging for him as well. Not much else I can offer, just an example of someone who was able to get back to riding a traditional bicycle. Obviously every person is different - best of luck.
Old 01-27-19, 09:01 AM
Kent T

I have Cerebral Palsy, which has many of the same issues as stroke people deal with, my right leg is weaker than the left. I ride a normal Mountain Bike, a Trek 800 series singletrack. I do fine on it. But my situation is different but has some things in common, spasticity is a big issue with stroke and CP.
Old 01-28-19, 03:34 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There are higher seating recumbent trikes like the Catrike Villager that don't require the rider to get out of a very low seat. The Villager isn't cheap but is of decent quality and good reliability. Be wary of entry level recumbent trikes. While cheaper than a Catrike they are also a lot heavier and often equipped with dismal gear ranges and the lowest quality components. You don't get the amazing stability of a very low trike but the handling is still very good. There are many stories on Bentrideronline (bentrideronline.com) from handicapped riders including stroke recoveries and the ways they got around the impediments. Special pedals that keep the weaker foot on the pedal comes to mind as one of the accommodations. You need some way to keep your feet on the pedals while moving to avoid "foot suck" where the foot drops to the ground and your leg gets caught by the frame.
Old 02-03-19, 06:58 PM
Woodsman Rick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank You!

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like a trike will be what is needed. We will explore and look for hands-on opportunities when the weather is more favorable. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-19, 07:47 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,132 Posts
Woodsman,
I have a customer whose daughter is a Physical The****** and working toward becoming a Physician's Assistant. She currently works with the speed-bag practice for increasing mental-muscular improvement. Look into that type of training as well, it seems to work very well with early onset Parkinson's disorder. Best, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-26-19, 08:39 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A work colleague of mine who is recovering from a stroke, got an electric recumbent trike. One thing is, it's narrow enough to get through doorways, so we let him into the building with it, and he rides it down the hall to his office. This eliminates having to park it outdoors.
Old 07-30-19, 12:16 PM
Woodsman Rick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all!

Thank you all for your comments, help and advice!

Seems as though we are a bit low in the motivation department currently, but will consider all options once motivation increases!

Thanks to you all!
Likes For Woodsman Rick:
Old 07-30-19, 09:32 PM
Kent T

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Woodsman,
I have a customer whose daughter is a Physical The****** and working toward becoming a Physician's Assistant. She currently works with the speed-bag practice for increasing mental-muscular improvement. Look into that type of training as well, it seems to work very well with early onset Parkinson's disorder. Best, MH
I worked with a Speed-bag at an Adaptive Sports festival.(the one which also got me back on a bike after 29 years of not riding one) I found this useful as a mental-muscular exercise to improve motor coordination, and mental-muscular improvement. It's useful for anyone with spasticity whether Stroke, Cerebral Palsy, or Multiple Sclerosis. I see the wisdom of your customer's daughter. Strength training is also very useful. I plan on getting a speed bag of my own to beat up on, as a useful adaptive fitness tool. Thank you for this post, as a way of listening to good advice from multiple people. I find this useful in a major way. When you deal with these type challenges, strength, overall fitness, and willingness to work hard are important to making gains. Just some perspectives of a person who was born preemie, and 25 years of undiagnosed cerebral palsy. Who once diagnosed, has been willing to work hard at his fitness, and even at 55 years old today.