Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Saddle suggestions

Old 01-18-19, 09:10 AM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I see a lot of these posts and it seems to me that a lot of people find a comfortable seat on the 3rd or 4th try. Could it just be that by the time they reach number 3 or 4 their butts have just gotten used to the narrow seat and it really is not a magical seat?

I am asking because I have 4 different bikes with a different seat on each one (same width) and I have never had a problem. Other than when I first started riding again after decades off the bike, after a few rides no more sore butt. Then came the other bikes and never a problem.
That is definitely a factor. In my case both were true. The seat that came on the bike was narrower overall than my sitbone width - there was no getting comfortable on that! Once I got a properly fitting seat, It's still not 100% comfortable, but each ride gets better as my butt gets used to it.
Old 01-23-19, 10:57 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Heh, I'm on my 4th saddle the past 4 years of owning my bike.

1st saddle that came with my Crosstrail, was too small for my sit bones since the saddle was only 144mm wide. At the end of the first year of riding, I could not handle the numbness issues that created anymore.

Switched to the Specialized Power Comp at 168mm and Wow what a great saddle that was. I say "was", because after 2 years of trail riding, I found one day that I broke the carbon underneath the saddle.

So I decided to try a lesser expensive saddle at the LBS suggestion.

WTB Comfort Gel, at 172mm, ...............was not comfortable and only lasted me last year. There is such a thing as having too large of a saddle for your sit bones.

Recently installed a Selle SMP from Bike Tires Direct on sale for $63 at 160mm wide. The last couple of trainer rides, I've been asking the saddle where it has been the last 4 years? It's a great saddle for me that I feel should last me longer than my Power Comp I had.

Once I get down to my ideal weight though, and hopefully can afford a lighter road/gravel bike, the Specialized Power Comp will be purchased again!
Old 01-23-19, 04:31 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I've put a couple thousand miles on a Serfas DDM-CT saddle on my road bike. It's a gel saddle. It's big (155mm I think), and the rails stand up kind of high, so it looks a bit goofy when I'm not on the bike. But of the half dozen or so saddles I've tried on the bike, it's by far the most comfortable. My longest ride with the saddle was just over 80 miles. The only thing I didn't like about it was the Lycra cover, which generated some friction with my bicycle shorts.

About a month ago I got the idea to check Serfas' web site to see if they might have a version of the saddle with some other cover material. There I found the Serfas TRS-2 Terazzo saddle, which I think is actually designed for mountain bikes. It uses the same "Dual Density" design as their other saddle that I like, but has a "microfibre" cover, which looks more like just plain vinyl or plastic to me. I thought I'd give it a shot. It's about the same size, possibly a bit longer in design. I've got a few hundred miles on it now, and really like it. The rails don't stand up as high as the other saddle, so it looks less goofy. The friction issue is gone and it seems more comfortable than the DDM-CT. My longest ride on it has been just over 100 miles, and during that ride I spent less time standing on the peals to regain blood flow than I normally do on the other saddle.

The only thing I don't like is that I seem to bump it when I pedal while standing. Which isn't much. I'm going to try pitching it down ever so slightly to see if that helps.

-Matt
Old 02-02-19, 03:38 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I weigh in at 265 lbs and although I find the Sella Anatomica saddle supremely comfortable, I can't commute on it, because the rails are too long and they eventually collapse from my weight in combination with the jarring miles. The Brooks B17/C17 rails are shorter/stiffer and they have held up well. I've been on the C17 for two years with a total mileage of about 6K, and the saddle is still structurally in fighting shape.
Arch, did Selle AnAtomica help you with their rails?
Old 02-03-19, 03:57 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
I've had a couple of Brooks B17 and a Selle Anatomica Titanico X. They are all pretty comfortable but they are also creaky and heavy and not 100% water proof. The Anatomica sounds like an old wooden sailboat.

My current saddle of choice is the Selle SMP TRK Medium. I have them on two bikes and on long rides, saddle is no longer an issue. I've prefer angling the nose down until I no longer feel it rub my tenders. Sit bones are 130mm (if I recall correctly).
Old 02-03-19, 04:37 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After some further discomfort I just received a Brooks C17 and so far it is the best of the bunch. Get used to being on a saddle is taking longer than I'd like... Happy to say the pressure on my sit bones has decreased significantly however: weighed in at 310 this morning. That's 18lbs less than when I started this thread and 40lbs less than when I started.
Old 02-04-19, 08:26 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Haven't pursued it yet with SA, been a little busy, but thanks for asking!

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Arch, did Selle AnAtomica help you with their rails?
Old 02-06-19, 08:10 PM
Team Ogre

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 2021 Giant Defy Advanced Pro Zero, 2015 Giant Trance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a new bike in the spring last year and immediately bought a B17. I don't recall haveing problems the last season but on the trainer ive been having numbness issues. I did some research on sone other solutions. There is a company Sq Lab that has a few options. You measure your sit bones, pick your riding position and it directs you to a recommended. This is what I purchased and just received. Cant wait to get it on my bike. I went with the 612 active ergowave. There is also something called the bi-saddle...its bookoo bucks but basically two seat halves that are fully adjustable. Neat concept.

https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/saddles

https://bisaddle.com
Old 04-13-20, 05:52 PM
RidingRev

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
B17s aren't as wide as you think

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
My understanding is that there is no 1:1 correlation between weight and sit-bone width.

With your bone width, the Brooks B17 or C17 at 162mm width may do the trick for you (and the C19 is even wider). I have a C17 Carved and it is quite comfy out of the box for both short and long rides. In general I prefer a "hard" saddle with perineal relief, the padded saddles add pressure and friction in unwanted places.
Ostensibly, B17s are 177 mm wide from leather edge to leather edge. But with a 140 mm sit bone width (I'm 6'3", 225 lbs), I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get comfortable on a B17, B17 Imperial, B17S, or a Team Pro (160 mm width). When I turned the B17 over, I saw that the curved cantle to which the back of a Brooks saddle is riveted not only sits significantly inside the leather, but the width and curve of the cantle significantly constrict the suspended width of the saddle. Turn a Brooks over and measure the side to side distance between the arms of the cantle, and you'll discover it's only about 125 mm. That's why my 140 mm sit bones felt like they were sitting on the saddle frame: THEY WERE!

After many, many saddles on my endurance road bike, the Specialized Power Expert 155 has finally made my butt happy. Don't listen to the hype that says it's for racing in the drops. I ride mostly on the hoods, and, as a big 68 year old with bad legs, I ride for fun and not for speed. Five hours on the Power and everything in me is sore except my tail.

Last edited by RidingRev; 04-13-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 08:25 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Make this the 4th post in this thread to recommend the Selle SMP TRK. I've ridden my first one for almost 8,000 miles, including several century rides (longest one was 114-1/2 miles). Bought a 2nd one to put on my gravel bike and have about 800 miles on that one in the past year.

I've tried a Brooks B17 and in January I rode a new Selle Anatomica H2 for 400 miles. Both leather saddles just made my buttocks numb, which is not the best feeling. I returned the Selle Anatomica (another long story - their "30 Day Ride Fit Guarantee" isn't exactly what it sounds and we're going back and forth on a refund - grrrrr!).

Selle SMP TRK!

Gary
Old 04-17-20, 09:01 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
I measured my C17 Carved saddle and the outward rivets are centered 145mm apart - don't this would work with 140mm sit bone width. The B17 would definitely be narrow.
My new Selle Anatomica rubber R2 outboard rivets are spaced 155mm apart, which might also be snug. I find this to be a supremely comfortable saddle for my needs.

Originally Posted by RidingRev
Ostensibly, B17s are 177 mm wide from leather edge to leather edge. But with a 140 mm sit bone width (I'm 6'3", 225 lbs), I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get comfortable on a B17, B17 Imperial, B17S, or a Team Pro (160 mm width). When I turned the B17 over, I saw that the curved cantle to which the back of a Brooks saddle is riveted not only sits significantly inside the leather, but the width and curve of the cantle significantly constrict the suspended width of the saddle. Turn a Brooks over and measure the side to side distance between the arms of the cantle, and you'll discover it's only about 125 mm. That's why my 140 mm sit bones felt like they were sitting on the saddle frame: THEY WERE!

After many, many saddles on my endurance road bike, the Specialized Power Expert 155 has finally made my butt happy. Don't listen to the hype that says it's for racing in the drops. I ride mostly on the hoods, and, as a big 68 year old with bad legs, I ride for fun and not for speed. Five hours on the Power and everything in me is sore except my tail.
Old 04-19-20, 03:12 PM
mogulman

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since Coronavirus stsrted, I decided to try a few new saddles. I have some nerve issues with my back and left leg that may make me different though.

I started with the oem Kona saddle that was on my Kona Dr. dew. I tried a WTB, SpeedV pro gel that I had in my closet.

Then I purchased a Brooks C17 carved, Terry Liberator Elite Y, a serfas RX, and an Ergon ST Gel m/L.

I rode them for a few weeks. I ended up liking the Ergon the best. I wanted to like the Brooks but it just felt too hard to me after 3-4 miles.