Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 09:04 PM
neenach2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a 21 speed (ish) folding bike with electric assist that rolls easily when folded. I have quite a steep hill that I will be going up/down on a daily basis, but aside from that my ride is mostly flat. In addition, I'm 6'2. I tried to look at the threads linked in the FAQ, but none of them seem to be working. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited by neenach2002; 03-11-19 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added height
Old 03-12-19, 06:39 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Get off the computer and go to bike shops and test bikes. We all have bikes we like but that doesn't mean you will. Buy the one you can afford and are most comfortable on. Roger
Old 03-12-19, 09:21 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
First I thought you might want a 20" folding electric bike, but those are mostly 7 speeds. Are you interested in the 26" folding e-bikes mainly seen on Amaxon for around $600-700?

Nonetheless, there a quite a few 20" folding bikes with electric assist. I would say most are probably 45 pounds and up. I don't know that this is easy to roll, but probably a hefty load to carry. I think you can expect these bikes to have a range of 20-26 miles and a top speed around 18 mph whether you pedal them unassisted or use the motor.

I am an ebike hobbyist the past 4 summers, and discovered folders two years ago. We have a Downtube Nova and 8FS, where I added rear hub motor kits and a small battery. The conversions were $500-600. Half of that is battery,, The bikes were $300 and $400. I could have bought low cost electric folders for less, but I wanted to have starter bikes that were known for quality and this forum appears to think they do. They weigh 35 and 39 pounds. 18 mph and about 25 mile range. We use them for riding around on bike paths. Only folded if they go inside a minivan.

If you want a good fold and have the budget, you probably cannot go wrong with a Brompton. They offer a front drive kit and so does Grin technologies in Vancouver. Lots of money.
Old 03-12-19, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... And, ..

Bespoke ordered bike at about $3K+ from Bike Friday,* Hill Climbing? add a Mid drive motor ..

the 7 or 8 by 3, the S-A combination of Internal Gear hub, the 3, and a cassette for the 7 or 8
will make up for motor having just one chainring..

In general, Wheel Hub motors do not have hill climbing torque..

* most folding bikes make a single size product, regardless of the size of the rider .... you just adapt..
only Bike Friday builds to the customer's size..

My LBS here, has done conversions of mostly MTB, with mid drive motor kits, to existing bikes ...
the kit, installed , is $1600..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-12-19 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 11:14 AM
Doc_Wui

This is the only picture I have of the kinds of hills we encounter. Warning sign indicates 10 degrees. It crosses a 2 lane highway on the Legacy Trail from Sarasota, FL to Venice, FL, Some riders walk. Others cross the two laner. Most people ride. Our bikes have 12:1 gears inside the motors, so they climb better. It's a short hill. I can do it w/o the motor in the bigger rear gears. My wife doesn't know how to shift, so she rode up in top gear.
Old 03-12-19, 11:33 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by neenach2002
I'm trying to find a 21 speed (ish) folding bike with electric assist that rolls easily when folded. I have quite a steep hill that I will be going up/down on a daily basis, but aside from that my ride is mostly flat. In addition, I'm 6'2. I tried to look at the threads linked in the FAQ, but none of them seem to be working. Does anyone have any recommendations?
An e-assist should minimize the need for so many gear ratios. You can get a wide gear range without the complexity, weight, and redundancy that you get with with a multi-chainring setup. There are folding ebikes that will easily accommodate your height, I had a guy 6'5" fit comfortably on our Origami FireFly.
Old 03-12-19, 01:35 PM
neenach2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Get off the computer and go to bike shops and test bikes. We all have bikes we like but that doesn't mean you will. Buy the one you can afford and are most comfortable on. Roger
I will definitely do this, but I was hoping to at least get a good idea of where to start my search.

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
First I thought you might want a 20" folding electric bike, but those are mostly 7 speeds. Are you interested in the 26" folding e-bikes mainly seen on Amaxon for around $600-700?

Nonetheless, there a quite a few 20" folding bikes with electric assist. I would say most are probably 45 pounds and up. I don't know that this is easy to roll, but probably a hefty load to carry. I think you can expect these bikes to have a range of 20-26 miles and a top speed around 18 mph whether you pedal them unassisted or use the motor.

I am an ebike hobbyist the past 4 summers, and discovered folders two years ago. We have a Downtube Nova and 8FS, where I added rear hub motor kits and a small battery. The conversions were $500-600. Half of that is battery,, The bikes were $300 and $400. I could have bought low cost electric folders for less, but I wanted to have starter bikes that were known for quality and this forum appears to think they do. They weigh 35 and 39 pounds. 18 mph and about 25 mile range. We use them for riding around on bike paths. Only folded if they go inside a minivan.

If you want a good fold and have the budget, you probably cannot go wrong with a Brompton. They offer a front drive kit and so does Grin technologies in Vancouver. Lots of money.
Potentially interested in the ones on Amazon. I don't have the budget for a Brompton. 45 pounds will be too much, as I'll need to go up/down stairs as well.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Bespoke ordered bike at about $3K+ from Bike Friday,* Hill Climbing? add a Mid drive motor ..

the 7 or 8 by 3, the S-A combination of Internal Gear hub, the 3, and a cassette for the 7 or 8
will make up for motor having just one chainring..

In general, Wheel Hub motors do not have hill climbing torque..

* most folding bikes make a single size product, regardless of the size of the rider .... you just adapt..
only Bike Friday builds to the customer's size..

My LBS here, has done conversions of mostly MTB, with mid drive motor kits, to existing bikes ...
the kit, installed , is $1600..
I'm not sure what "S-A" means, but they seem to have bikes within my price range. I selected "Electric Assist Available" but I didn't see the option to add that, so not sure how much that costs.
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
This is the only picture I have of the kinds of hills we encounter. Warning sign indicates 10 degrees. It crosses a 2 lane highway on the Legacy Trail from Sarasota, FL to Venice, FL, Some riders walk. Others cross the two laner. Most people ride. Our bikes have 12:1 gears inside the motors, so they climb better. It's a short hill. I can do it w/o the motor in the bigger rear gears. My wife doesn't know how to shift, so she rode up in top gear.
My hill is at a higher grade for sure. It is very steep.

Originally Posted by Pinigis
An e-assist should minimize the need for so many gear ratios. You can get a wide gear range without the complexity, weight, and redundancy that you get with with a multi-chainring setup. There are folding ebikes that will easily accommodate your height, I had a guy 6'5" fit comfortably on our Origami FireFly.
I agree, but one thing that concerns me here is that I may have to stop on the hill as there is a gate.
Old 03-12-19, 02:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

S-A Sturmey Archer Sturmey-Archer | CS-RF3 Silver

Old 03-12-19, 02:54 PM
Pinigis 

I will definitely do this, but I was hoping to at least get a good idea of where to start my search.

Potentially interested in the ones on Amazon. I don't have the budget for a Brompton. 45 pounds will be too much, as I'll need to go up/down stairs as well.

I'm not sure what "S-A" means, but they seem to have bikes within my price range. I selected "Electric Assist Available" but I didn't see the option to add that, so not sure how much that costs.

My hill is at a higher grade for sure. It is very steep.

I agree, but one thing that concerns me here is that I may have to stop on the hill as there is a gate.
Stopping on the hill is a non issue. Simply downshift and be on your way.
Old 03-12-19, 03:01 PM
neenach2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stopping on the hill is a non issue. Simply downshift and be on your way.
Are you saying I would be okay with an 8-speed, and that downshifting will allow the electric motor to get me going up the hill if I'm at a dead stop?
Old 03-12-19, 03:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

NB: with a derailleur, gear down before you stop, with an IGH you can downshift while you are stopped ...
Old 03-12-19, 07:10 PM
Pinigis 

Are you saying I would be okay with an 8-speed, and that downshifting will allow the electric motor to get me going up the hill if I'm at a dead stop?
with a hub motor, probably not. But, with a mid-drive motor, yes. The mid-drive drives the crank wheel so you can much more efficiently use the power by choosing a lower gear. Hub motors just turn the wheel directly, so the power usage cannot be tailored to hill climbing or speed.
Old 03-13-19, 01:20 PM
neenach2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
NB: with a derailleur, gear down before you stop, with an IGH you can downshift while you are stopped ...
Yep, I'm aware. I downshift before I hit the hill anyways as it's steep enough that I'd quickly lose speed even if I was going as fast as I can. Plus, it's actually right after a left turn which I can't take at full speed anyways.

with a hub motor, probably not. But, with a mid-drive motor, yes. The mid-drive drives the crank wheel so you can much more efficiently use the power by choosing a lower gear. Hub motors just turn the wheel directly, so the power usage cannot be tailored to hill climbing or speed.
Good to know. I have a much better idea what I'm looking for now. I'm fine mostly using a motor to get me up the hill; it beats walking up the hill (which is in and of itself quite an exercise, even without a bike). It's about a 100 foot incline, from start to finish. It's likely between 30º and 45º.

I assume that it won't be easy to add a mid-drive motor to any folding bike, and that there's certain models I'll need to look at that either come with that, or support adding one.
Old 03-13-19, 01:32 PM
Pinigis 

Yep, I'm aware. I downshift before I hit the hill anyways as it's steep enough that I'd quickly lose speed even if I was going as fast as I can. Plus, it's actually right after a left turn which I can't take at full speed anyways.

Good to know. I have a much better idea what I'm looking for now. I'm fine mostly using a motor to get me up the hill; it beats walking up the hill (which is in and of itself quite an exercise, even without a bike). It's about a 100 foot incline, from start to finish. It's likely between 30º and 45º.

I assume that it won't be easy to add a mid-drive motor to any folding bike, and that there's certain models I'll need to look at that either come with that, or support adding one.
No, adding a mid-drive would be difficult since we have to build the frame to accommodate the motor. I have seen a couple of add-on mid-drives, but I cannot attest to their efficiency or noise level.
Old 03-13-19, 03:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

My friends @ LBS, here, do mostly Mid Drive conversions to MTB for hunters .. 68~73 or 100 for fat bikes take 2 different kits

Bike Friday is getting in on the Ebike option , most with Hub motors, only Mid Drive on the Haul-a-Day..

Old 03-13-19, 07:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts

Get a Bafang Mid Drive kit,... All you need is to swap out the bottom bracket, then attach the rest to your bike. With a 20" folder I'd recommend not getting anything over 250 watts.

Bafang Mid Drive Kit
Old 03-13-19, 07:29 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Old 03-13-19, 07:33 PM
Doc_Wui

Wheelie city with the Bafang, but nothing wrong with that. With a higher voltage battery, I get wheelies if I start off on throttle with the rear hub motor on my Nova.

I recall the bracket should be about 68mm wide for the Bafang.

A mid drive is, in my opinion, a lot faster to connect and wire up than a hub motor. Just costs about 200 dollars more.
Old 03-13-19, 08:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The mid drive is so much more efficient,...I may get 1 by the summer.