Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Are you fat? Or were you?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Are you fat? Or were you?

Old 09-26-13, 07:42 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasted? IDK, I like to swim and do pullups.
Old 09-26-13, 10:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by plustax
Wasted? IDK, I like to swim and do pullups.
Exactly--I was just making a little joke about bicycle racers, who try to limit the size of their upper bodies.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-26-13, 07:34 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Exactly--I was just making a little joke about bicycle racers, who try to limit the size of their upper bodies.
Careful... you realize roadies outnumber Freds on BF....
Old 09-27-13, 11:42 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I bet you're a great climber on the bike! Even at my leanest, I will be a starter and a sprinter... Good legs but just too much weight wasted on my upper body muscles.
Wasted, ha! You wouldn't think so if you came and helped me drag trees out of the woods. Yeah it doesn't sound like we're racers. I do run foot races but I don't win. That's where I get my best cycling t shirts.
Old 09-27-13, 12:07 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A guy told me once that he used to have to carry around over 200 pounds of ugly fat, he lost it all in less than a month . . . he got a divorce
Old 09-27-13, 12:15 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm right at 6'. In 2004 I weighed 240'ish.
It was slow progression from being thin to that max weight. It began after marriage and kids.

Today, I'm 175-180. I got as low as 161 and had a lot of friends asking if there was a serious illness.
170-175 would be about perfect for me. Eat right, exercise, nothing else works for me.
Old 09-27-13, 01:35 PM
Short Circuit

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 3, Older Norco 10 speed road bike, Giant ATX 840 Mountain Bike, West Coast Chopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in March of 2013. I an 5' 10" tall and weighed 256 1/2 lbs.
I started to eat healthy and exercise on a treadmill and then onto road bikes and this morning ( Sept 27, 2013) I weighed 191 1/2 lbs on my way down to185 lbs.

Mark
Old 09-27-13, 01:36 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Sometimes I can gain muscle mass.. but fat it just melts right off.
Old 09-27-13, 05:38 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Careful... you realize roadies outnumber Freds on BF....
I thought that was only in "41" this is LCF where Phred's Rule...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-29-13, 08:32 PM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was a bit chubby when I was 10 or 11, but grew out of that. Then some weird genetics took over and my build froze as a short, skinny 15 year old and I've never busted 110 lbs. I've always had lots of endurance, but not much strength as a result.
Old 09-30-13, 09:24 AM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I used to be fat.

I still am, but I used to be too.

M.

Less fat since starting riding my bike again (mid-March). I've only lost 15 pounds, but my clothes tell a different story. I guess I lost a lot more fat and gained muscle mass as my jeans attest to: the are loose around the waist but now tight around my quads.

My wife is jealous of my shorts/pants falling right off if I'm not wearing a belt... I'm too cheap to buy new clothes.

I'd definitely side on the "fat-but-fit" idea. I know a few "skinny" people who are way out of shape but have a small waist. That always annoyed me during Physical Fitness Tests in the AF, I'd max out the score on running, sit ups, pushups, but end up near the failing point because of waist measurement. Me and a friend were always taking the body fat alternate test in ROTC (to show that BMI didn't correlate to us being actually fat). For him it was even more ridiculous, he was a body builder with arms the size of my legs, but unacceptably "fat" by AF standards. Skinny just means you look good in uniform; fit means you may get to live another day.
Old 09-30-13, 09:25 AM
Blue_Bulldog

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
A guy told me once that he used to have to carry around over 200 pounds of ugly fat, he lost it all in less than a month . . . he got a divorce
You have no idea how true that is.

Divorce, then dating a complete sociopath for a year.... I lost 400 lbs, and THEN decided to get onto my bike full time!!

They say there's no winners in a divorce, however the folks at my LBS would disagree. They benefited tenfold from my divorce and disasters. And now I'm lean, mean, machine.... the bike shop is happy, I look/feel better than both exes, and all is right in the world!!!!!
Old 09-30-13, 01:06 PM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was 6'1" and 175 when I turned 13. I was 6'3" and 210 when I turned 30. Then I slowly worked my way up to the 270 range. I got down to ~215 lbs from my first official "you need to loose weight weigh-in" of 262 lbs by running every day. But running was too hard on the joints so I started biking and lifting weights. I'm up to 225-230 and would like that more in the 215-220 range. With weightlifting it would be hard to get too much below that weight range. I'd need to be 195 lbs to be on the upper end of the BMI normal range versus where I'm at now with a BMI in the upper end of the overweight range. I don't ever see that happening unless I starve myself and don't workout.

When I was running everyday, my resting heart rate was below 50 bpm and it made a nurse at our company wellness screening take my pulse 3 times to make sure she was doing it right.
Old 09-30-13, 09:15 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
I don't ever see that happening unless I starve myself and don't workout.
For the last couple of years, I've been on a diet where I eat no food with sugar or high fructose in it. I'm amazed at how much food at the grocery store contains high fructose corn syrup. But you can find some and it does help -- with a little cycling -- to keep the waistline somewhat reasonable. I haven't lost much weight, but my belt size has dropped quite a bit.
Old 09-30-13, 11:04 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm around 240lbs and have held that for years. Thanks to riding I suffer far fewer health problems and have lowered my blood pressure to a healthy level (though none of that was ever a goal, or even wanted/expected, I ride 100% for utilitarian reasons, not health ). I rely don't see the need to reduce my weight as I feel good and every other health aspect is fine.
Old 10-01-13, 07:23 AM
InOmaha

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For the last couple of years, I've been on a diet where I eat no food with sugar or high fructose in it. I'm amazed at how much food at the grocery store contains high fructose corn syrup. But you can find some and it does help -- with a little cycling -- to keep the waistline somewhat reasonable. I haven't lost much weight, but my belt size has dropped quite a bit.
I lost 4.5 inches off the waistline. My diet has slipped and even though I work out I can really tell that what I've been eating is dragging me down. I'm noticably slower on the days after I eat junk. And the junk doesn't have to be fast food, just the wrong foods. There is a reason most atheletes take diet as a serious part of their training routine.

I'm in a little detox mode now, cleaning up my diet again and drinking more water.
Old 10-01-13, 08:06 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unlike so many of these skinny folks (or so they claim) I let my weight slip up from the low 190's in 1992 to around 220# when I retired. The turning point was having to buy 40" waist jeans two years ago. I got to 207" last year but stalled. This past spring I got serious and stalled again at 194#...then after 43 years off one I bought a bike. I just broke 180" this morning. I ride only for fitness and enjoyment; I have no desire to race anybody and being skinny is not in my plans either. I've read that is as risky as being overweight. For some reason I held onto my 36" waist trousers since the 1990s and can finally fit into them. Woo hoo! I plan on stabilizing between 175# and 180#. You get used to lugging around the extra weight. The other day I was moving some dumbells and hefting the two 15# weights it finally dawned on me what it was like on my body carrying them up and down the stairs each time. I'm much happier at this weight.

Sorry, I don't notice any difference afterwards when I eat the wrong foods. I'm an engineer by education and don't buy water detoxing; to me it's too non-specific and generalized pseudo science. I buy nutritional supplements (a limited few which my doctor confirms have efficacy) off the internet and then Google spams me with these ads for miracle stuff which 'improves liver function' whatever that is, and the like. Of course eating too much of the wrong stiuff put me where I was, but as far as feeling different after I eat a burger fries and a coke? Sorry.

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 10-01-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 08:26 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I agree, we try to eat as close to natural as we can. The less processing the better in my opinion. They are just now scratching the surface on the HFCS and the issues it causes. My question (still to be answered satisfactorily) is has anybody really tested ALL of the chemical interactions? I think not, there are too many of them, they go on the basis that if each of them tests non toxic (debatable) to humans then mixing them together shouldn't make any difference.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-01-13, 08:42 AM
InOmaha

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
Unlike so many of these skinny folks (or so they claim) I let my weight slip up from the low 190's in 1992 to around 220# when I retired. The turning point was having to buy 40" waist jeans two years ago. I got to 207" last year but stalled. This past spring I got serious and stalled again at 194#...then after 43 years off one I bought a bike. I just broke 180" this morning. I ride only for fitness and enjoyment; I have no desire to race anybody and being skinny is not in my plans either. I've read that is as risky as being overweight. For some reason I held onto my 36" waist trousers since the 1990s and can finally fit into them. Woo hoo! I plan on stabilizing between 175# and 180#. You get used to lugging around the extra weight. The other day I was moving some dumbells and hefting the two 15# weights it finally dawned on me what it was like on my body carrying them up and down the stairs each time. I'm much happier at this weight.

Sorry, I don't notice any difference afterwards when I eat the wrong foods. I'm an engineer by education and don't buy water detoxing; to me it's too non-specific and generalized pseudo science. I buy nutritional supplements (a limited few which my doctor confirms have efficacy) off the internet and then Google spams me with these ads for miracle stuff which 'improves liver function' whatever that is, and the like. Of course eating too much of the wrong stiuff put me where I was, but as far as feeling different after I eat a burger fries and a coke? Sorry.
Well my version of detox is slightly smaller portions, less coffee, drinking less bourbon, and adding the recommended amount of water back into my day. So it's not like I'm suffering. I pay the piper for what I eat with my morning workouts.

I think I have a food allergy though that causes me to have more problems with certain things I eat and I need to track it down. It's easiest to do when I limit what I eat to healthier foods and work others back in so I'll have to start a bland diet again or go get tested. I noticed a problem this last couple of weeks when I gained 5 lbs in a day and 10 in a week then lost 4 in a day and back down. That's a little too much fluid retention. I also felt sluggish and hungover riding; even though I wasn't. I skipped some workouts and slept in for the first time in 2 years. So that was odd for me.
Old 10-01-13, 09:43 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah well, THAT makes a lot of sense! Don't mean to sound overly concerned but drastic fluid retention can be a sign of a potential problem. I'm no doctor but my wife was advised to let her doctor know if she gained more than a couple of pounds in a day for a few days. She's over seventy so it likely doesn't apply but I thought I'd comment. Good luck with finding your allergy, or whatever it is.
Rich
Old 10-01-13, 10:09 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
No ice cream or pie?!!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-01-13, 10:45 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
I lost 4.5 inches off the waistline. My diet has slipped and even though I work out I can really tell that what I've been eating is dragging me down. I'm noticably slower on the days after I eat junk. And the junk doesn't have to be fast food, just the wrong foods. There is a reason most atheletes take diet as a serious part of their training routine.

I'm in a little detox mode now, cleaning up my diet again and drinking more water.
Great that you can get back on the wagon after a little time off.

Depending on what food I backslide on, the effect can be immediate. Like if I eat ice cream or a cupcake, the sugar effect is so immediate, it feels unpleasant...

Other slips are more subtle.. and only show up later when you look in the mirror
Old 10-03-13, 11:46 AM
charbucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not fat, but I'm not in great shape. I can either go for a long time, or go fast, but not both. I'm pretty small all around (5'3", 110 lbs ish) and I find I often struggle to keep up with other people, particularly when hauling a load. I use the excuse that it's a greater percentage of my body weight, but I doubt that gaining 20 lbs of fat would really improve things.

So far, I seem to be one of those people who can more or less eat whatever and not get fat. Then again, I'm not even 30 yet, so who knows...
Old 10-03-13, 12:29 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not fat, I'm just full grown.

Being open minded I have plenty of fat friends and try to include them whenever I have a BBQ. They're just like normal people really.

Last edited by kingsqueak; 10-03-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-03-13, 01:02 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 850 Posts
I pretty well gave up sugar, too. It helps me stay within a calorie budget, as I don't get hungry again as quickly.

I was up to 330 about 6 or 7 years ago. With a good diet and lots of cycling, I got down under 220 and stayed there (at 6'4", my ideal weight is probably a bit lower, but not too far off). I got off my blood pressure meds, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.