Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Down East Sunrise Trail

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Down East Sunrise Trail

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 12:40 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Down East Sunrise Trail

Is this trail good for cyclists? We're planning to visit somewhere in between and do the south to Ellsworth leg one day, and maybe the route to Pembroke the next day.

I've read it can sometimes be dusty, rutted, with large loose gravel, and has significant ATV riders, some of whom care for the trail and are courteous to all, and some who may be less so.

Most of the photos I've seen seem to show reasonable terrain for an older classic mountain bike. I'm planning to ride an old Peugeot Orient Express and my girlfriend plans to ride her Bridgestone XO-3. Our tires aren't particularly aggressively treaded, but aren't slicks either (me Specialized Nimbus 26x1.75, her Michelin Protek or Schwalbe CX 26x1.4/26x1.35).

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has cycled this trail who can share their experience.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-20, 12:48 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I haven't been on the trail myself bUT it travels through some amazing country. There's lake side camping off of the tunk road. I thinks it's Donnel pond? West on tunk Rd, top of the hill take the left.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 06-05-20, 05:35 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
We rode 11 miles (22 round trip) of the trail this afternoon north from Machias, me on a vintage Peugeot Orient Express mountain bike with 26 x 1.75" tires and my partner on a Bridgestone XO-3 with 26 x 1.4" tires. We were the only cyclists. Most traffic was ATV with a few walkers and joggers and one motorbike. We saw approximately 12 ATVs in 22 miles. No close calls, each pass was safe and friendly. Some parts of the trail, approximately 2-3 miles, were very bumpy with golf ball sized gravel everywhere that left us a bit rattled, we're each 50 (or close). The trail can be quite dusty when ATVs pass. Beautiful views in the 11 miles we traversed leave us curious for more but somewhat hesitant. We may explore it from further north tomorrow.

Lupine

Last edited by specialmonkey; 06-05-20 at 05:44 PM.