Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ENVE releases their own tire

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-06-20, 08:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

https://www.enve.com/en/lp/ses-road-...i%2C%20Product
Old 08-06-20, 08:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Nothing wrong with that - I'd try 'em... if I found them at a reasonable price. Which probably isn't too likely any time soon.

So, if I'm seeing this right, it's just one model of tire, available in 4 widths and in either all black or with tan sidewalls?
Old 08-06-20, 09:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Maybe they are getting tired of people complaining about other tires coming off their hookless rims, so they took matters into their own hands.

$75 starting price -- so a little cheaper than Compass/Rene Herse, whose design seems to have inspired at least a subset of these.
Old 08-06-20, 09:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Mavic did it, why not ENVE? Though for $2,500+ wheelsets, they should throw the first pair of tires in free.
Old 08-06-20, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I hope this doesn't turn out like printers and printer ink. Are we soon going to have to buy only tires that the rim maker sells because of some non standard way they make their rims?
Old 08-06-20, 09:27 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Iride01
I hope this doesn't turn out like printers and printer ink. Are we soon going to have to buy only tires that the rim maker sells because of some non standard way they make their rims?
There's no reason to come to this conclusion. First, Enve is constantly adding to a long list of compatible tires. Second, we're seeing hookless adoption from other manufacturers, on both the wheel and the tire sides: recently released Zipps - both hookless, recently released Pirelli tires - both specifically mention hookless compatibility.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-20, 09:27 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I look at this the same way I look at automotive tires. If you drive a Porsche 911 GT3RS, you have about 10 options for a rear tire, and the cheap one is ~$300. If you drive a Toyota Corolla, you have about 130 options, and they start at $39. In this analogy, the ENVE 3-point-whatevers are the Porsche.

Folks running the Mavic system seem to be pleased overall, despite being "limited" to a certain selection of tires.
Old 08-06-20, 09:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
We had hookless clincher tires back in the 70's. I'm not sure why we want to bring them back and have another issue that will confuse many. It will also make what has been a great selection of tires I can put on my rim a narrower selection.

Mfr's of tires won't make both hookless and hooked versions of every tire model. And that will probably be in both the low cost tires and the high dollar tires we see models that are only one or the other. Middle ground probably will see both versions, because there is more sales revenue to divide up.

If we are going to all go hookless, I have no issue with that.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-06-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-06-20, 09:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'll try them.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I don't know that this is any different than any other tire designed and branded by one company but made by another. Zipp did it a long time ago and launched a gravel tire this summer. I'm Mr Freakout, but this is a non-story on par with "Giant updates its line of OEM saddles".
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Iride01
Mfr's of tires won't make both hookless and hooked versions of every tire model.
They're not. Being hookless compatible doesn't make them hooked incompatible. Vittoria TLR, Schwalble TLE, Pirelli TLR, etc, etc are all fine on hooked or hookless rims.
Old 08-06-20, 09:50 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
They're not. Being hookless compatible doesn't make them hooked incompatible. Vittoria TLR, Schwalble TLE, Pirelli TLR, etc, etc are all fine on hooked or hookless rims.
And there's anything but a shortage of tire models. Is anyone really having trouble finding the one they want?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-06-20, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And there's anything but a shortage of tire models. Is anyone really having trouble finding the one they want?
Yeah, there's a huge selection and hookless isn't limiting it in the least.

No, my tire problems right now are the same as everything else bike-related in these covid times - stock.

I've probably got 1000 miles left on my current rear tire and I've got a replacement waiting. That should get me through the rest of the year, but a bad cut on the road could change that, so I'd like to have more on hand. Looking around, I can't find my Pro One Addix TLEs in stock south of $60+ each, so I might have to try some Vittoria Corsa /Control TLRs, which currently in the $45-50 range. I'd love to find some of the new Pirelli, but they're so new that I doubt they'll be discounted for a while.

Last edited by WhyFi; 08-06-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-06-20, 12:24 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Smart marketing. It will appeal to roadies with OCD (ie, Every Single One) who want to make sure the tire they get is optimized for aero with the Enve wheels. I have to admit, a similar reasoning was the tie-breaker decision in me choosing to get the CLX64 for my Venge - figured with all else being equal, i might as well get the combo which Spesh most likely used to optimize their bike.

(I wrote that while the announcement page was loading on another window and yup. "Designed to deliver maximum rolling efficiency while eliminating tradeoffs". If you are buying $2500 wheels, why not pay a little extra and get tires that are likely best suited to your tires? Lot of people will buy them for that reason. Hell, if i ever get Enves, i will probably give them a go as well)
Old 08-06-20, 12:35 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've probably got 1000 miles left on my current rear tire and I've got a replacement waiting. That should get me through the rest of the year, but a bad cut on the road could change that, so I'd like to have more on hand. Looking around, I can't find my Pro One Addix TLEs in stock south of $60+ each, so I might have to try some Vittoria Corsa /Control TLRs, which currently in the $45-50 range. I'd love to find some of the new Pirelli, but they're so new that I doubt they'll be discounted for a while.
Give the new Veloflex Corsa TLRs a go... I really loved the ride feel of the older ones but they didnt score that great on RR tests. The new ones, as per some French mag review, are right up there with the GP5k and Turbo Cottons, and it still retains the classic supple ride feel..

I have a pair of Wolfpack tires next in line - after that, i plan to give these a go.
Old 08-06-20, 12:43 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Give the new Veloflex Corsa TLRs a go... I really loved the ride feel of the older ones but they didnt score that great on RR tests. The new ones, as per some French mag review, are right up there with the GP5k and Turbo Cottons, and it still retains the classic supple ride feel.
Not compatible with hookless rims, it seems.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-20, 01:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Smart marketing. It will appeal to roadies with OCD (ie, Every Single One) who want to make sure the tire they get is optimized for aero with the Enve wheels. I have to admit, a similar reasoning was the tie-breaker decision in me choosing to get the CLX64 for my Venge - figured with all else being equal, i might as well get the combo which Spesh most likely used to optimize their bike.

(I wrote that while the announcement page was loading on another window and yup. "Designed to deliver maximum rolling efficiency while eliminating tradeoffs". If you are buying $2500 wheels, why not pay a little extra and get tires that are likely best suited to your tires? Lot of people will buy them for that reason. Hell, if i ever get Enves, i will probably give them a go as well)
Sounds like a tri geek to me.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-06-20, 01:30 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I love this mainly because of the 27mm size. It measures about 30mm on a 25i rim, which is just about the perfect size for the ARs.

Does it bother anyone else that there is almost ZERO mention of anything related to grip in this gigantic press release, though? For all we know, it could have the grip of a soap bar in a shower.
Old 08-06-20, 01:33 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by smashndash
I love this mainly because of the 27mm size. It measures about 30mm on a 25i rim, which is just about the perfect size for the ARs.

Does it bother anyone else that there is almost ZERO mention of anything related to grip in this gigantic press release, though? For all we know, it could have the grip of a soap bar in a shower.
The hot metrics for tires right now are aero and RR. There's no bicycletiregrip.com.
Old 08-06-20, 02:04 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Hahaha, I have the ENVE 45 Foundations with Vittoria Corsa 28mm blacks on my Bianchi, and the rear is wearing pretty quickly from all the road/gravel riding I’ve been doing. I’ll be lucky to get 2,000 miles with them. No complaints, I’m a larger rider and ride hard. The Vittoria’s are about $45, so I’ll stick with them for a while.
Old 08-06-20, 02:13 PM
WhyFi

It will appeal to roadies with OCD...
Is it sad that one of the reasons that I'm not more interested in the Zipp tires is the fact that the tires have the old Zipp logos and my wheels have the new Zipp logo?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-20, 02:40 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
The hot metrics for tires right now are aero and RR. There's no bicycletiregrip.com.
i run Challenge Strada and/or Criterium open tubular clinchers with latex tubes at slightly reduced pressures for chipseal and I love their grip. These tires only rate middle of the road for rolling resistance but I think they are a great bargain.

In tubeless road, no one is talking much about Panaracer EVO3’s. The grip on these once I get all my leaks sealed seems great!
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-06-20, 02:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
That CRR isn't that impressive...
Old 08-06-20, 05:00 PM
TheMalahat

Bikes: Trek Madone, Giant Defy, Scott Addict RC, Opus Citato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I definitely did, and have my fourth choice on my most recent bike as a result - but that's a very whatever problem I had created no doubt by supply chain issues from covid.

I'm running Enve 45's with Vittoria Corsas just like another poster. Realistically I'll ask Santa for these with the brown sidewall and give them a try next season.
Old 08-06-20, 06:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by TheMalahat
I definitely did, and have my fourth choice on my most recent bike as a result - but that's a very whatever problem I had created no doubt by supply chain issues from covid.

I'm running Enve 45's with Vittoria Corsas just like another poster. Realistically I'll ask Santa for these with the brown sidewall and give them a try next season.
Supply chain and stock issues aren't what I'm talking about - there's a model out there that you like, right? It sounds like there are at least four. Enve making (branding) their own wheels isn't hurting you. If stores can't keep their shelves stocked... well, at least the grocery stores have mostly recovered.
Likes For Bah Humbug:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.