Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Birth of a Bike Shop

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Birth of a Bike Shop

Old 01-07-20, 07:42 AM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Birth of a Bike Shop

I’ve been wanting to share a pic

I’m mostly just doing small flips for fun.

What is you opinion: is it worth it to have a brick and mortar store front at all?
Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 01-07-20, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
A storefront is only good if you can get the space for basically free and/or if you have a ton of money you want to lose to fund your hobby.
The costs of insurance, retail space, utilities, etc would far exceed the value of a retail shop for most situations like this. If you are overflowing with cash and looking for a way to have fun and show a loss come tax time- get a storefront.

We had a version of that pink and purple/blue trike in your picture. Our oldest had that 11 or 12 years ago and it came with a pole you could attach to help push and/or steer. Ha, I had forgotten about that little trike. Good stuff.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-07-20, 09:11 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
My future scheme for going "Pro" is to get a table at the Saturday farmers market. Show off the fancy builds that no one in there right mind would pay for as examples of quality work with fenders, racks, baskets and lights and have folks drop off bikes for service, to pick up the next week. All your customer service/being nice time is bottlenecked to those 4 hours. Still need insurance and a eye toward minimizing liability as well as a dedicated multible bike hauling rig.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-07-20, 09:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
a way to have fun and show a loss come tax time- get a storefront.

W.

That would be fun !
Old 01-07-20, 09:55 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCwanabe

What is you opinion: is it worth it to have a brick and mortar store front at all?
It depends for starters on your location. Do you currently have an area you can use for a store front? A willingness to advertise on social media, along with word of mouth wil help.
If all those things align for you, I say go for it, and good luck!
Old 01-07-20, 05:17 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Most of those bikes in the pic appear to be in what I guess is "your" size. You'll need to diversify your stock for the populace.
Old 01-07-20, 05:44 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,132 Posts
A store front will drive you into personal bankruptcy in my city. Monthly prices per square foot is over $5 and the added expenses will drive a store to thousands of dollars per month. Continue to operate out of your home... But get a business licence, register as a retail merchant with your locality, and get a separate insurance policy for your business. The insurance policy must include liability insurance! One bad test ride by a customer and you could be facing years of damage payments.
Visit with your insurance agent and get a dose of reality. Then contact Robbie Tunes and ask him. Opening a bizniz is more than just a place to sell your wares. HTH, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 01-08-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 08:37 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
A store front will dive you into personal bankruptcy in my city. Monthly prices per square foot is over $5 and the added expenses will drive a store to thousands of dollars per month. Continue to operate out of your home... But get a business licence, register as a retail merchant with your locality, and get a separate insurance policy for your business. The insurance policy must include liability insurance! One bad test ride by a customer and you could be facing years of damage payments.
Visit with your insurance agent and get a dose of reality. Then contact Robbie Tunes and ask him. Opening a bizniz is more than just a place to sell your wares. HTH, MH
This sounds like good advice. If you can license a business at your home, that would probably be the thing to do.
Old 01-07-20, 08:50 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

Prepare to loose a lot of money.
Old 01-08-20, 01:45 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

Is that your storage area or your proposed showroom? It appears to be much cleaner than a normal workspace (or at least my workspace). I would like to hear more details and your plan.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 01-08-20, 03:57 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Most of those bikes in the pic appear to be in what I guess is "your" size. You'll need to diversify your stock for the populace.
Haha, I've always wanted to open a store called 58 cm Cyles.
Old 01-08-20, 07:20 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by imakecircles
Haha, I've always wanted to open a store called 58 cm Cyles.
😂 thanks for the good advise all.
Old 01-08-20, 07:46 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Couple of thoughts based on my home-based bike shop (2010-14), and my home-based reenactment sutlery (1989-99):

Definitely can the idea of a storefront, unless you're building it on your property and you own the building.

Buy yourself a cheap flip phone and cheapest possible data plan. That's your shop phone. Under no conditions do your customers ever find out your personal home and cell numbers. The day they do that, you'll never find peace.

If you're the kind of guy who likes to work on a set schedule, put a clock in the shop. Then set it five minutes ahead of real time. Plans of "four hours every Saturday" as your direct contact time is a great idea but sooner or later your customers are going to find the address where you actually do the work. At which point you post your hours, and come and go religiously to those hours (including turning off the shop phone) . . . . . . based on what the official shop clock says, not real time. You'll be amazed how many customer either like to call or stop by two minutes from closing. And they're certainly planning on talking more than two minutes. If five minutes isn't giving you enough closing space, go to ten. And once you're closed for the day, you're closed.

Yeah, that sounds awful hard ass. Being able to draw the line between your time and shop time is critical to this venture being enjoyable.

Saturday in/next Saturday out sounds like a wonderful idea as long as your customers are that organized. Maybe one or two of them will be. The day they figure out where the work is being done, that's when you see the Thursday afternoon drop-off because the customer has a group ride on Saturday. And those are the considerate ones.

Definitely sounds like a neat idea. Go for it. I was planning on doing the same thing again, then the fire hit.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 01-08-20, 07:55 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
How to make a small fortune with a bike shop:

Start with a large fortune.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-08-20, 08:09 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Trust Syke on this one.

Your current model has ZERO overhead, maybe no taxes or insurance either. Brick and mortar means all of those, plus rent plus employees. Next step is consign with a local shop, let them carry the overhead, give them a portion of the profit.