Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Buying old bikes during a pandemic

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Are you buying or selling old bikes locally
Yes
74.63%
No way
25.37%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 03:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

So it's easy enough to buy new old bikes on eBay and not worry about social distancing. I'm curious about how many of you are buying new old bikes locally on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc. If you do, do you worry about social distancing? It's kind of hard to avoid doing this face to face.

My New Year's resolution was not to buy any more new old bikes and I only fell off that wagon twice before the pandemic hit hard. So I'm kind of sheltering in place when it comes to more bikes but I might get tempted to fall of that wagon again.
Old 04-20-20, 03:20 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
We're takein this seriously enough that I'm not making any excuses. We're sort of isolated, and folks are acting like it's not that big deal. Local cases bumped from 18 to 28 over the weekend. Hell I even walked away from a free bike last week...
​​​​​​
​​
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 04-20-20, 03:34 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I didn’t vote, as I am happy with the few bikes I have. But I will say that if something extraordinary crossed my path, I would be comfortable with a transaction, with both parties masked and either an electronic exchange, or cash passing between gloved hands.
Then I would thoroughly wipe down the bike with disinfectant, and let it sit a few days before handling it again.
Again, this is all hypothetical, I swear.
Old 04-20-20, 03:37 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by due ruote
. . . But I will say that if something extraordinary crossed my path, I would be comfortable with a transaction, with both parties masked and either an electronic exchange, or cash passing between gloved hands.
Then I would thoroughly wipe down the bike with disinfectant, and let it sit a few days before handling it again.
Again, this is all hypothetical, I swear.

Right,
Old 04-20-20, 03:39 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by hazetguy
yup, and if the timing is right, i'd have no problem jumping on a super fantastic deal.
still looking on CL in my town and others nearby.
bought a vintage mtb last week for dirt cheap.
plenty of ways to make 'in person' transactions safe for both parties involved.
Masks are easy enough. Payment? Most local sellers want cash.
Old 04-20-20, 03:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I haven't bought much bike stuff lately, but I'm not beyond purchasing stuff from Craigslist.
Old 04-20-20, 03:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I already have too many bikes. My time and energy during the stay at home has been devoted to painting and/or overhauling and improving what I have. Which is a lot. nttawwt
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-20-20, 03:59 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I already have too many bikes. My time and energy during the stay at home has been devoted to painting and/or overhauling and improving what I have. Which is a lot. nttawwt
I'm pretty sure that saying you have too many old bikes will get the mods to come down hard on you in C&V . . .
Old 04-20-20, 04:00 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I voted No; but to be clear, if anyone wants to give me a 63cm Schwinn Tempo frameset or complete bike, I would make an exception.
Likes For tyler_fred:
Old 04-20-20, 04:04 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Nope. Not until this clears up. Not taking any risks. Wish everyone in this country would take it seriously too.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-20-20, 04:22 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
If you do, do you worry about social distancing? It's kind of hard to avoid doing this face to face.
Based on recent experience, it is not hard to social distance in the situation at all. Only a few days ago, after two or three days of computer hunting, I bought a mid-sixties Torpado Professional...

I put an add on Kijiji, no mention of the word bicycle or a well know brand name and not in the bicycle section. Just something like Torpado road bike wanted. Got one response. A couple of emails, then a phone call, then plastic gloves on, pick-up cash at a cash machine, go to the seller's house, meet him outside, both of us wearing masks and then we did the deal.

At no time were we within ten feet of each other. I put the $200.00 on the front steps and, after waiting until I moved back, he picked it up.

We thanked each other, from a distance, and that was that and this is this...

The Torpado cleaned up nicely, but greasing revealed a pitted cone on the front hub. No big deal, as I will be replacing hubs later. Anyway, went for a second ride, this morning, and froze my Canadian butt off...
Old 04-20-20, 04:33 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I've been organizing purchases online, then leaving the part outside in a coffee tin and then I go sit by the window. The buyer grabs the item and drops the previously agreed money into the tin and that's that.
Old 04-20-20, 04:40 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
Not worth it.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-20-20, 05:43 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I voted no for bike transactions, and I'm purposely not looking at the local ads to avoid tempting myself. I have, however, ordered from retailers when I see a good deal. I think it's a bit different helping to keep some retailers going with a little business vs. private local sellers.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 04-20-20, 05:58 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I voted no for bike transactions, and I'm purposely not looking at the local ads to avoid tempting myself. I have, however, ordered from retailers when I see a good deal. I think it's a bit different helping to keep some retailers going with a little business vs. private local sellers.
Oh yeah. I buy a fair bit from Modern Bike. It's a mail order place located in Des Moines, not too far from my house. It's a good company. I put an order in last week and they placed it in my trunk once I drove up.
Old 04-20-20, 06:23 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Been buying stuff from Italy. But since covid has what, a 24-hour life on paper, I'm not worried about that.

So far since wfh, I have tuned up 5 co-worker bikes with another 3 to go. It arrives, I carry it down to the shop, wash hands with 70% isopropyl. First step is clean with 70% isopropyl. After the tune up, it sits in the garage for 3 days, they pickup. And bob's yer uncle.

The only added steps are teh hand washing and garage quarantine. Simple.
Old 04-20-20, 06:29 PM
Alsobay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
I picked up a Rolls saddle for my project a couple of weeks ago. We agreed to keep distance. Wore gloves and mask. All went well. Dropped saddle in plastic bag and sprayed with lysol twice and just for good measure, let sit in the sun for 3 days. All good and both seller and I are 😊. Just practice distance and hygiene.
Old 04-20-20, 07:00 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Would I buy a bike during this "thing"?

Hell ya!

How can I vote?

I just bought some used tires on Saturday. The fellow I met wasn't wearing a mask, gloves or hazmat suit nor was I. Put a few filthy, disease infested shekels into his hand and came away with some Schwalbe Marathons. We had a good conversation. Interesting fellow and it seems he'll be a good contact to have. He is a big bike fellow. Works on airplanes and helicopters for a local aeronautics outfit.

I really, truly and sincerely hope there will be a significant number of people in the future (more than there are now, which is considerable anyways) who say to themselves "I can't believe I behaved the way I did then".
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 04-20-20, 07:06 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
I cant seem to stop buying bikes, I feel a lot better about these transactions than the parking lots at Home Depot/Lowes/Wal-Mart etc. I won't go there. this was my find this weekend - could not pass it up for $100!

Likes For justcynn:
Old 04-20-20, 07:11 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
I have passed on a number of my wants over the last several weeks....in my mind a bike is not a necessity....food is and I will go out for that.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-20-20, 07:25 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I purchased a bike within the first week it started. He put the bike up against a building, I checked it out for any major damage (didn't test ride) and I gave him cash. After I loaded it in the car, I wash my hands with antibacterial soap, drove home and left the bike in the car in direct sun for awhile. When I took it out, I hosed it down, then didn't touch it for a few days. If another bike appeared, I'd buy it as well.

I've sold a couple as well, but I set everything up the night before and spray down the grips hours before they showed up. When they do, I just point to the bike, they test ride, hand me cash which I put in the house to not touch for a few days and wash my hands.
Old 04-20-20, 08:02 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
I came across one of my "holy grail" bikes in my size that I've been searching for for about 10 years. The story gets crazy stupid, but I just had to buy it. The "boss" also made me sell a few. Followed proper guidelines in each case (mask, gloves, distancing and disinfectant wipe downs). Now she is pushing for more of them to be sold.
Old 04-20-20, 08:09 PM
Tautatis

Bikes: Miyata 912|Raleigh Super Course & MK II|Trek 830(Original Owner)/610/520/510/420/310|Jamis Coda 2011|Fuji Monterrey & Tourer|Shogun CroMo 500 & 600|1987 Bianchi Sport SX & Ltd|Mossberg VM-1, 1980 Mercian Olympic| Takara Olympic| Bridgestone RB-2|

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I would say exercise caution when buying or selling - it is your responsibility to protect others. Having said this, if not careful, you are more likely to get infected at the grocery store than going to buy a bike from a similarly concerned seller. It's not like you are there to your lick your fingers to make sure no extra $ goes to the seller, hug or give the seller a kiss for a great deal, and or shake hands for closing a sweet deal. Paypal is there for convenience, particularly most sellers and buyers would happily accept $$ in this kind of situation when practical as well as necessary.

As many have described here, transactions are done at a reasonable distance and with considerable care. I did exactly like others have done about 3 weeks ago to buy this 2010 Jamis Aurora that I am rebuilding.

Stay safe,

Likes For Tautatis:
Old 04-20-20, 08:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Masks are easy enough. Payment? Most local sellers want cash.

I just keep my distance, drop the money in a container or whatever. My county, which in area is much larger than NYC, has two cases right now, peaked at three. The pandemic has allowed me to stay home and work on my house remodel, so its been OK so far.

I'm not buying much. Sold a couple of bike work stands. Selling on eBay of course. The biggest challenge I am having is making a donation to the co op. I have a truckload of bike stuff right now to donate as I am moving my workshop.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-20-20 at 08:55 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 04-20-20, 08:42 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I was getting ready to sell a whole mess of kids' stuff that mine had outgrown right before this went down. It's sitting in the basement with pictures ready to post. I'm waiting a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.