Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Plz recommend me a 650C rim

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-05-20, 01:48 PM
NattyBumpo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a hardtail set up for tooling around town and lite-duty off-roading that I need a new rim for. They're 650Cs and that particular rim has a 539 erd, a front rim with 32 spokes and rim brakes (non-disk). I've got a butt-load of pre-cut spokes that I never used so there's a financial incentive in staying with the 539 erd.

Owing to having lost touch with the market over the years, the fact that MTB wheel sizes have got more diverse, and that rim brakes have largely been discarded, I'm at a loss to find one. The old rim is a Bontrager but they no longer make that model and I don't find anything in their current line that fits (not sure they even make 650Cs any more).

As long as it's a decent rim and not exorbitantly expensive, I'd be happy.

Anybody know who has one (or is likely to)?
Old 08-05-20, 02:05 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I haven't seen a 650c rim for sale for a while. I think it may be a fool's errand to plan to buy a rim based on spoke length - very likely you won't have much choice if you find a supplier of 650c rims. I hope for the sake of your project that I am wrong.
Old 08-05-20, 08:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
NB, I went through this a while ago and as you are finding out 26 inch wheels are hard to come by. I am including a diagram with rim dia. for you to use in your quest for a wheel.
Are you certain that you need a 650c and not a 650b?
I am not familiar with hardtails but if it is a MTB, maybe you need a different size wheel.
Good Luck, Ben