Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your French bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your French bikes!

Old 01-18-14, 08:16 AM
Daveyates

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is quite a unique bike.

It is 700c wheel size and uses Jeay brakes, this is the only bike I have seen using Jeay brakes with this wheel size.

Also it has a Huret rear derailleur which is designed for vertical dropouts.
Again this is the first time I have seen a Huret like this.
The built in hanger and vertical dropout are designed specially to fit together.

It has the complete Huret gear group including the twin levers on one side.

It has the correct braze ons to correctly cable the twin levers.

it's fitted with a period Brooks saddle.
Lam alloy brake levers.

A very rare Specialites TA headset.

Exceltoo Super Competition hubs.
More modern Mavic rims.

Philippe stem and bars.

Stronglight Competition steel cranks.
Hollow bottom bracket axle.

Lyotard pedals.

The frame has been tastefully repainted at some point.

Last edited by Daveyates; 01-18-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-18-14, 08:42 AM
papik

Bikes: MBK mirage,PEUGEOT PSN10,PEUGEOT competition 7000,LA PERLE course, PEUGEOT pulse,L.AIMAR course

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A little help for your project, from a 1954 STELLA catalog

Old 01-18-14, 08:52 AM
papik

Bikes: MBK mirage,PEUGEOT PSN10,PEUGEOT competition 7000,LA PERLE course, PEUGEOT pulse,L.AIMAR course

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Daveyates
I think i may of been mistaken with this bike!

After researching online i came up with the decade 1950s for it as i saw a 1953 one which looked the same especially with the decals.
It is made with Durifort tubing and i also thought that narrowed down the era.
But the thing that has bugged me is the rear derailleur cable stop because it looks like a 1970s one.
After looking carefully again at the 1953 one it appears to not of that cable stop.

As i said i built this up from a bare frame and so don't let the older pieces cloud your judgement.
Would you guys say that this is a 50s bike or a later one?
Did Durifort tubing carry on into the 1970s?

Even after 1970...for exemple, my 1986 MERCIER "criterium"

Old 01-18-14, 09:12 AM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by papik
A little help for your project, from a 1954 STELLA catalog

Wow it came with Mephisto A bloc rims and the frame was Vitus, Nice bike!
Those rims are so rare.
Also it states that the front lugs are chromed.
Old 01-18-14, 09:13 AM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by papik
Even after 1970...for exemple, my 1986 MERCIER "criterium"

Cheers for posting this.
I wonder when Durifort changed to 888?
Old 01-19-14, 04:30 AM
papik

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
RUBIS TUBES, DURIFORT 888 , VITUS was made by the same factory : ATTELIERS DE LA RIVE

Old 01-19-14, 12:22 PM
counterfit_hero

Bikes: Eddy Merckx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Gitane Mexico Piste

image url
Old 01-23-14, 02:42 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
Just finished fixing up this '84 PGN-10.

Old 01-24-14, 03:52 AM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1950s Peugeot porteur.

At the moment i have this bike for sale locally but i thought i would show you guys before it goes.
I haven't advertised it for sale on this forum as the shipping for these old heavy bikes can be very expensive!
The last one went to New York and i charged 200 euros shipping. But it was too heavy for one box and with the extra box the shipping went up to 250 euros!

Old 01-24-14, 07:57 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Wow - three cool ones in a row...

c'hero - your Gitane Pista is something not commonly seen on these shores - and I'll even bet you have the only one on your block over there. Incredible backdrop by the way. Such a beautiful country.

gaucho - your 84 PGN-10 looks really sweet - but unfortunately it reminds me of an 84 PSV10 I regret selling for the price of the hubs on eBay, so perhaps it looks really bitter-sweet?
BE WARY though of that seat post binder bolt!

Daveyates -
The last one went to New York? AND you gave that city-slicker a hefty discount on shipping, but don't want to offer it for sale to your buds here? And what's a city-slicker going to do with a cool bike like that, anyway?

-Just pulling your chain Dave. That's a lovely old Pug with great patina, and I am sure that whomever buys it there will greatly appreciate it. Do you know what year it is?
Old 01-24-14, 08:08 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 176 Posts
i love the fenders on that Peugeot porteur. i've always wanted a set like that, with the extended sides, but they rarely pop up for sale.
Old 01-24-14, 08:24 AM
osteoclast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1950s Peugeot porteur.

At the moment i have this bike for sale locally but i thought i would show you guys before it goes.
I haven't advertised it for sale on this forum as the shipping for these old heavy bikes can be very expensive!
The last one went to New York and i charged 200 euros shipping. But it was too heavy for one box and with the extra box the shipping went up to 250 euros!

Wow!!!!
Old 01-24-14, 08:36 AM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Wow - three cool ones in a row...

c'hero - your Gitane Pista is something not commonly seen on these shores - and I'll even bet you have the only one on your block over there. Incredible backdrop by the way. Such a beautiful country.

gaucho - your 84 PGN-10 looks really sweet - but unfortunately it reminds me of an 84 PSV10 I regret selling for the price of the hubs on eBay, so perhaps it looks really bitter-sweet?
BE WARY though of that seat post binder bolt!

Daveyates -
The last one went to New York? AND you gave that city-slicker a hefty discount on shipping, but don't want to offer it for sale to your buds here? And what's a city-slicker going to do with a cool bike like that, anyway?

-Just pulling your chain Dave. That's a lovely old Pug with great patina, and I am sure that whomever buys it there will greatly appreciate it. Do you know what year it is?
I thought the high shipping costs would put people off and so that's why i thought not to try and sell it here.
But if someone doesn't mind the shipping cost and want to offer a reasonable price for the bike then i'm happy to sell it here.
Old 02-03-14, 02:26 PM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The GANOLO with different bars and stem and cables.

The STELLA with some 1960s pieces added and with cables. The bike is now rideable!

And lastly a DANIEL SALMON 700c randonneur i've just built up.

Old 02-03-14, 04:44 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 176 Posts
wow Davey, all of those look fantastic! there's a beautiful Salmon rando frame with matching fenders for sale locally in NYC that belonged to a late friend of mine. really beautiful work on those.
Old 02-03-14, 06:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I've never seen anything like that Ganolo!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-04-14, 01:21 AM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
wow Davey, all of those look fantastic! there's a beautiful Salmon rando frame with matching fenders for sale locally in NYC that belonged to a late friend of mine. really beautiful work on those.
Thanks Catnap, Yes the Daniel Salmons seem to be very nice bikes. He is still in business https://www.cyclesdsalmon.com/
Old 02-04-14, 01:23 AM
Daveyates

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've never seen anything like that Ganolo!
It is crazy isn't it! The seatpost is plastic and made by Atax. It bends when you ride it!
Old 02-04-14, 03:14 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts

I build this nice looking Lejeune from '77 or '78 I guess, but it has some issues. As you see in the pic, the frame sloops forward by about 9 mm. PO owner cut the steerer short (flush with a Campy Gran Sport headset) and it turns out that a great part of the stack height difference with a regular NR headset (33mm vs 41mm) is in the crown race/lower cup combination. There's worse (and I only realised that after the build): both fork drop-outs have been ground, making them deeper, the right one considerably more than the left. Seems like somebody took a short cut to mending a distorted fork. (BTW I remember something similar came up in another thread, but I can't find it. Anybody knows?). The good thing is that the bike handles very well and doesn't feel like it's been tinkered with. I only took it out once, but it actually feels like the "shortened front" compensates for the relatively shallow frame angles and makes the bike feel just a little more nervous than it should (or maybe that's just me focussing on the silver lining ). I do need to replace the (normal reach) front brake with a short reach version though, because the pads don't fully engage on the rim now. Of course the fork should be straightened and the right drop-out filled or repaired, but if the decent ride quality is confirmed over the next few weeks, that will be a very long term project. Since the paint is still very nice, I planned to put a new set of decals on the frame - half of them is missing - but I guess that doesn't makes much sense now.
Old 02-04-14, 07:16 AM
auchencrow

It is crazy isn't it! The seatpost is plastic and made by Atax. It bends when you ride it!
Bendy plastic made by Atax you say?

Old 02-10-14, 05:00 AM
papik

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My last project, this 1977 GITANE "Tour de France" in all original condition...it sleeps in a garage during 37 years !
It is a 3 REYNOLDS tubes with a SUGINO "maxy" crankset , NORMANDY hubs .

Old 02-10-14, 05:28 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
[QUOTE=Oldpeddaller;16247190]OK, here are mine............

Firstly my 'newest' - a 1966 Camille Dardenne Vitus butted steel frame built up with French parts. Most of the parts were in hand before the frame, which gave me the idea of creating this French - flavoured pastiche. Took a while to 95% identify the frame, which I posted as a 'mystery' about a year ago! The Nervar Star chainset and the Mafac Racer brakes it now wears were generously donated by C&V Forum buddy 'Elcraft' - Thanks again Eben! Elcraft also persuaded me that the white '70's saddle, though of French origin, was awful - and steered me towards this venerable Ideale Mod 80. The brake levers are CLB, but the rubber hoods I have to admit are Dia-Compe, nice enough but not French. However, the toeclips and straps, tyres and tubes, cables and even the cable clips are of French origin - and it's a really brilliant ride!

Stuart ,
Fabulous resto! While I sent some parts to a better home, They would have been lost on another Bike that hadn't been restored by someone with as an experienxced and passionate eye. I don't recall describing the white saddle as "awful", merely out of place. But Thank you for the "Props"! Now, if we coulld get you to do a similar photo essay on your fleet of classic English cycles, then the C&V Forum would really have something to drool over............

The paint was the closest I could match to the existing finish - an earlier repaint that had spider's webs under it. The decals for the down tube I copied from the only photo I could find of another Dardenne, a 50's model and the head and seat tube crests were an invention of my own - the Fleur de Lys motif and blue background depicting the symbols of La Republique Francais!
Old 02-10-14, 10:14 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
[IMG]

I build this nice looking Lejeune from '77 or '78 I guess, but it has some issues. As you see in the pic, the frame sloops forward by about 9 mm. PO owner cut the steerer short (flush with a Campy Gran Sport headset) and it turns out that a great part of the stack height difference with a regular NR headset (33mm vs 41mm) is in the crown race/lower cup combination. There's worse (and I only realised that after the build): both fork drop-outs have been ground, making them deeper, the right one considerably more than the left. Seems like somebody took a short cut to mending a distorted fork. (BTW I remember something similar came up in another thread, but I can't find it. Anybody knows?). The good thing is that the bike handles very well and doesn't feel like it's been tinkered with. I only took it out once, but it actually feels like the "shortened front" compensates for the relatively shallow frame angles and makes the bike feel just a little more nervous than it should (or maybe that's just me focussing on the silver lining ). I do need to replace the (normal reach) front brake with a short reach version though, because the pads don't fully engage on the rim now. Of course the fork should be straightened and the right drop-out filled or repaired, but if the decent ride quality is confirmed over the next few weeks, that will be a very long term project. Since the paint is still very nice, I planned to put a new set of decals on the frame - half of them is missing - but I guess that doesn't makes much sense now.
Nice ride. I would not have noticed the slope if you had not pointed it out. Just tell everyone it is a prototype funny bike. It is very possible that the decals on it are the only ones that came on the bike. Lejeune could be odd that way. Fork is a bummer, but French 531 forks do appear on the bay from time to time. There is one now, but has a different crown and takes recessed brakes. (Latter is easily resolved.) Different fork rake could be an issue with it also. You could also take it to a frame builder and have him replace the steerer tube.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-18-14, 09:32 PM
LarryBSky

Bikes: Specilized Roubaix, 71 Raleigh Professional, 74 Raliegh Intl, 74 Peugot PX-10, 82 Puegoet PSN, Olmo Competition , Schwinn High Sierra & Others

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 22 Posts
Haven't seen any greenish PX-10's yet. This one is new to me.
https:// DSC01124 by ldborowsky, on Flickr

I'm not sure whats up with the guard on the chainwheel.
DSC01130 by ldborowsky, on Flickr

Last edited by LarryBSky; 02-18-14 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-19-14, 06:00 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by LarryBSky
Haven't seen any greenish PX-10's yet. This one is new to me.
Yours Larry?
That is mighty cool. I don't see the 531 label but that's not surprising. The lettering looks '73-ish (not all had fancy lugs). Anyway, the Inoxydable label, Simplex DOs and chrome stays tell the tale for me.
The Stem, FD and swaged CS unfortunately are unoriginal - I would just HAVE to find a Stronglight crank for it at least, and those are $$$ but that bike is worth it!
I only see two pictures - are there more?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.