Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help with Tire choice.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help with Tire choice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 09:27 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Help with Tire choice.

I am currently running Schwalbe Lugano, 700 x 32c, K-Guard, tires on my Quick and have had no problems with them over about 800 miles. I run them at 70 psi and I ride blacktop streets and in NC mostly summer weather no rain. The front tire has held it's tread well but the rear has certainly shown its wear. I am 180 lbs and the most of the time I ride when it is 85 -90 deg. My question is what tire can I move to that would be in the 28-32 range have the puncture resistance I have with these but possibly better wear? I am new to this situation as I would just replace the worn out tire with the same in the past but now I am learning I can have options. I realize there are dozens of other threads about tire suggestions but I am lost in the terminology due to the lack of my knowledge, otherwise known as stupidity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I want to get the bike set up for the new year.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 12-19-19, 09:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
don't think I can help w a tire suggestion, but you reminded me of another option, I've read here: rotate the rear with the front, then when the rear gets as worn as that front one, you replace them both. that's too much work for me, so I just replace a tire that's outlived it's usefulness (with the same)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-19-19, 10:03 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
800 miles is pretty quick for a tire to show appreciable wear like you describe. It appears that the "Lugano" is one of there more entry levels tires. So, you probably would see better mileage if you upgrade to a higher quality tire. Although, from all the info I can find about that tire, running them at 70psi is at the bottom end of the suggested pressure for that tire. You may find increasing the pressure to 85-100psi may put the tire in a more favorable profile on the road thus increasing it's lifespan.

I'll let the other chime in regarding what tires you might like. My only suggestion is to look for a name brand tire in the $30-$45 range in the size you want and start from there.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-19-19, 11:35 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
don't think I can help w a tire suggestion, but you reminded me of another option, I've read here: rotate the rear with the front, then when the rear gets as worn as that front one, you replace them both. that's too much work for me, so I just replace a tire that's outlived it's usefulness (with the same)
For bicycles, you want the front tire to be the best possible. If you run the same tires front and rear, you can move the front one to the rear, and put a new tire up front. Running a smooth tire up front due to different levels of wear will place the worst tire where you need it most, its better to leave it as is.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-19-19, 11:54 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
For bicycles, you want the front tire to be the best possible. If you run the same tires front and rear, you can move the front one to the rear, and put a new tire up front. Running a smooth tire up front due to different levels of wear will place the worst tire where you need it most, its better to leave it as is.
Honestly, this was kind of what I was thinking.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I run the tire pressure on the lower end of the spectrum in the hope that it will absorb some of the road vibration along with the carbon blades on the fork. With the pressure a consideration I am thinking that going to a narrower tire is moving in the wrong direction concerning my hope of running the pressure lower.
Thanks again, Frank.
Old 12-19-19, 12:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
whoops! my bad, I had it backwards! thanks!
Old 12-20-19, 03:19 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve had really good luck with Kenda Kwest 100 PSI tires. Make sure you get the 100 PSI model! They are cheap costing around $20 but work really great. They are not good for around freezing temperatures though.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 12-20-19, 05:47 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by tim24k
I’ve had really good luck with Kenda Kwest 100 PSI tires. Make sure you get the 100 PSI model! They are cheap costing around $20 but work really great. They are not good for around freezing temperatures though.
I had Kenda on a bike a couple of years ago and they were a decent tire. What size, width, are you running? Also, what is the issue with them when it goes down toward freezing? Does the sidewall become less flexible and the ride to harsh? Thanks for your response.
Frank.
Old 12-20-19, 06:41 AM
jtaylor2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My 2012 Trek 7.3 came with 32mm Bontrager Race All Weather Hard Case tires, I got around 8000 miles on a rear tire (replaced with the same) and over 22000 on the front tire. Those tires are no longer made and have been replaced by the Bontrager AW1 Hard Case. I am currently running the 32mm Bontrager AW1 Hard Case (the regular, not the lite) and have 7873 on the rear tire so it looks like they may wear about the same. In 23760 miles I have only had one flat tire. I weight 155 lbs. and don't pay a lot of attention to tire pressure. I pump them up to 90 lbs and in a few weeks when I go over the bike if they are down to 60 I pump them up again. I'm old and slow and ride for pleasure and exercise so care more about flat protection than weight and rolling resistance so don't know how they compare in that regard.

Jim
Likes For jtaylor2:
Old 12-20-19, 07:34 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I had Kenda on a bike a couple of years ago and they were a decent tire. What size, width, are you running? Also, what is the issue with them when it goes down toward freezing? Does the sidewall become less flexible and the ride to harsh? Thanks for your response.
Frank.
I have them on my recumbents and on one diamond frame bike. So 16”, 20”; 26”; and 700c. Most are 1.50”, I do have one bike with 1.25” but they are hard to find. Around freezing they don’t bit well and get a little slick.

I never worn out the tread or sidewall on one of these tires, in about seven to eight thousand miles the punch protection goes and I start getting a lot of flats, then is when I replace them.

Make sure you buy the 100 PSI model, for some reason they hold up much better in my experience and I do run 100 psi in them.
Old 12-22-19, 12:44 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
What about other tires from Schwalbe? Schwalbe specifies rolling/puncture resistance/other features on a relative scale for each tire. For example,
Lugano: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...g_tires/lugano rolling=3/6, protection=3/6, durability=3/6
Marathon GreenGuard: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/marathon_420 rolling=4/6, protection=5/6, durability=5.5/6 -- very good tire for what you want
Some tests: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...be-lugano-2015

If you are willing to risk some punctures, Panaracer Pasela and Vittoria Voyager Hyper (discontinued) are great tires. I switched to these tires from Marathons, and I really like the ride they give.
Old 12-22-19, 07:55 AM
Helderberg

Thank you all for the additional information. I need decent puncture resistance as there is constant building going on around here and with the nails and screws I have found I could build my own home. The Bontrager sound like a good start and I have been looking into the schwalbe but had not look in to the Marathon.
Thanks again for the help, Frank.
Old 12-22-19, 01:45 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have a Cannondale Quick CX3 that I put 32mm Continental GrandPrix Four Season tires on. It's my commuter; I put the miles on my road bike, and the utility on my Quick. But it still got about 1200 miles last year, and the tires are holding up just fine.

GP4Season tires have a slick road-oriented tread, but use a compound that is pretty grippy even in cold or wet weather. They're not snow tires, but fine in rain. However, they also perform great in the warm months. I use them year-round.
Likes For daoswald: