Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What tubular tires are you riding?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What tubular tires are you riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 11:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I just realized I was thinking of a completely different tire when I answered Diablo Scott's post. Clement's synthetic casing Paris-Roubaix in what I believe was a 27c width. No, I never rode the Paves, just a lot of the Open Pave clinchers. (So that's why no comments on my post. What the hay is Ben talking about?)
Old 12-19-19, 08:03 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Jeez, do you guys not have snow now? I can't dream of riding tubulars for a while.
Most of the storms which have pummeled the eastern half of the country have either just missed us in the Chicago area, or only brushed us lightly. We have no snow on the ground, and I think I've shoveled the walks once so far. Unfortunately, after the front passes we still get the dangerous dip in temps.

I have those Schwalbe tubulars on my Schwinn Super Sport (complete with fenders) waiting for a smidgen of warm enough weather. I'm getting tired of only walking (or a little bit of running).
Old 12-19-19, 08:21 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The Trek 760 wears Tufo S33 Pro’s and the Colnago has Panaracer Practice Dual 270’s. I like ‘em.
Old 12-19-19, 08:38 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
FMB Paris Roubaix, 25mm and 27mm. Best of the bunch
Veloflex Roubaix. Excellent
Veloflex Vlanderen. Excellent
Specialized Turbo Hell of the North, No chance yet to ride
Vittoria something or other. I find these disappointing but maybe I have not found the right pressure.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-19-19, 08:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
What does the OP want as the primary consideration in a tubular?
Durability? Plush ride? Cost?

Lots of excellent choices. The only tubulars I hear criticized are the cheap ones.

My primary requirement is removable valve cores. For a bit of liquid latex sealant.
Old 12-19-19, 09:25 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
My primary requirement is removable valve cores. For a bit of liquid latex sealant.
This is the downer for me for the Vittoria Rally. (I actually find them reasonable to mount, and find that they seem to roll pretty true, at least with recent production.) That's one reason I went with the Schwalbe Lugano T on the Super Sport. I have no tailoring ability, and can't convince my lovely wife to do the sewing... That means I rely on sealant.

Given the widespread use of sealant these days, I don't understand why any tubulars don't have removable cores. I understand that the Rally is the bottom of Vittoria's lineup, but what's the bump in cost going to be, a couple cents? They might even save money, as they must already be producing (or contracting for) removable valve cores for their higher priced tires.
Old 12-19-19, 10:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I have a lot of experience with Vitorria's Rally tire.
Yes - when you bought 3, 2 would be for riding, the third might sometimes have a lump issue - but it was the spare. Mounting without glue for the purposes of stretching, inspecting, etc = usually sorted out a lumpy one. And at 100+psi on typical roads most lumps were minimal, often got better with time, often not. But for a damped, cotton casing, training tire for cheap - Rally wasn't a bad choice. But I've moved on.

i probably have a Rally on a spare front wheel.
Otherwise I'm currently running:
VeloFlex in 25/28mm = Roubaix, Arenburg, Vlaanderen (2)
Specialized Turbo 24mm - 3-4 years old, but a great tire for fast
Conti Sprinters (not Gators) 22mm = 2 bikes liking that firm/fast feel
Conti Giros 23mm - came on a wheelset and OK for that firm/fast feel
Schwalbe 30mm - semi-off road with tough pebbled rubber
Schwalbe Racing Ralph CX 32mm knobbies - moderate gravel bike duties

let me check for others........
A Conti Combo Sprinter rear, Competition front.
But the spares are all old crap.

With as many bikes as I ride (all in the sig line) and only about 3K miles per year total, the only durability comment is that the Spesh tires seem to have more tiny cuts in the tread than others, but no flats.

aha.... good thread.... just found a new in-th-box Rally, for a spare.

re-edit: I wanna buy the Vitorria Corsa G+ - $50 at MerlinCycles.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-19-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-19-19, 11:18 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Coincidentally, I picked up this pair last night, for a song, only had to drive 20 miles to get them. Money really talks with holidays approaching and with wet weather.
Tires were the vaunted Competitions, but I still have to sew the rear tire back up as the tube suffered a tiny snake-bite pair of holes just an eighth of an inch apart.
The weight of these wheels/tires seems quite low, the tires themselves are about 250g each, and the wheelset is probably 1100g or so.

Last edited by dddd; 12-19-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-19-19, 03:43 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Which model of Kenda tubular tire is $7 each?
My bad. I'm old school here and to me there are only tube-type tires and tubeless tires. I did mention that this is all new to me, didn't I?
Old 12-19-19, 04:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
My bad. I'm old school here and to me there are only tube-type tires and tubeless tires. I did mention that this is all new to me, didn't I?
No worries!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-19-19, 04:39 PM
smontanaro 

Though, putting on my pedantic hat, tubular tires are pretty old school too.
Old 12-19-19, 05:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Jeez, do you guys not have snow now? I can't dream of riding tubulars for a while.
what is this snow thing? Oh the stuff you drive to to ski

Old 12-19-19, 05:36 PM
6Speed
Professional Wrestler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I loved those tires ~1995. Best non-silk tire I ever road, (And after exposure to water, the best!) Then they went to kevlar belts, the price skyrocketed and I flatted my first in an early ride with a construction nail ruining it.. That was the start of the end of tubulars for me. 8 years ago I had a clincher come off at 25 mph. There are now good choices in tubulars that weren't around 30 years ago. As I wear out rims, tubulars are taking their place. I never want to flat a clincher at high speed in what remains of this lifetime.

Ben
what happens if you flat a tubular at speed?

Is it at risk of rolling off the wheel if it happens in a curve?
Old 12-19-19, 06:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by 6Speed

Assuming it's glued on properly, it's at less risk of rolling off the rim than a clincher would be... which means it'll be less likely to lock up the wheel by getting wrapped around your brakes.
But if it's a front tire blowout in a curve at speed - you're still going to be in trouble.
Old 12-19-19, 08:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

Well, since I've encountered that on both clinchers and tubulars....I can only share.

The clinchers tend to go quicker.
With a flat clincher on the front, at speed, you try to corner, and the bike goes straight.
It only comes off the rim when/if you hit the brakes.
It will roll off at the ground contact point, and then the wheel will skid out from under the bike.
This is the point at which you go down.

With a flat tubular on the front, glued on, you try to corner, and the bike reluctantly turns.
It generally stays on the rim, and provides a very small bugger between the rim and road.
You may lose some control, but the tire generally stays on the rim, and no skidding.
You may still go down. but's less likely.

With a tubular, you can get as far back on the saddle as possible, keep weight off the front, and ride pretty much straight.
Which is what I did in Madison County, IL two weeks ago.
With a clincher, you can't. Pure and simple. Been there, and it did not work.
Which is what I've tried several times. Never worked.
Old 12-19-19, 09:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Interesting comments. I am sort of shopping for new tires for my Masi, so I can get it back on the road, at least every now and again. Things have changed a lot since I last bought tubular tires. The Masi is semi retired now, and it probably won't be ridden often. Makes me reticent about using latex tubes and cotton casings. Both are vulnerable to southern California weather. Veloflex look good to me but how does that poly cotton blend casing hold up? I always liked Continentals for general use because they were so durable. I've been using them since they came out, in 1982 IIRC. It looks like the trademark rootbeer brown color has been discontinued on all tires except the gatorskin sprinters. I suppose those might be a good choice for an only occasionally ridden bike. Any other synthetic casing tires to look at?

It is safer than a clincher if that happens. Plus you can often ride home on even a totally flat tire if you're careful, though this isn't recommended.
Old 12-19-19, 11:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

I'll second DiabloScott. I've blown tubulars at 40+ mph. Yes, my HR spiked. But stopping was no big deal. You can brake gently with the flatted wheel as well as the good one. (A good glue job is assumed here.) Now trying to corner anything but gently on a flatted tire just doesn't work, I don't care what the tires are. I watched a fellow racer blow a rear tire and crash on a criterium corner from a front row seat. (I was on his wheel.)

I've seen tires roll off on curves. Don't know if they flatted before or after they rolled. If they flatted after - poor glue job or overheated rim and melted glue. If they flatted before, that rider was probably going down anyway. (Again, glued well?) Tubulars have their limits. But staying within those limits, they rarely are the cause of crashes. And one of those limits is up to the user - again, the glue.

Ben
Old 12-19-19, 11:20 PM
79pmooney

In the good old days, I swapped my training tires for cyclocross tubulars. As good as you could get without studs. Drop the pressure to good and squishy. Last year's training rims (cheap 400 grammers) would be fully square by March, but well glued tubulars don't care. Mushy Mafac brakes aren't much fussier. In April and better roads, re-build with a new rim, spokes and tires. (No way were last year's nipples turning, what with all that salt.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-20-19, 09:44 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
This is the downer for me for the Vittoria Rally. (I actually find them reasonable to mount, and find that they seem to roll pretty true, at least with recent production.) That's one reason I went with the Schwalbe Lugano T on the Super Sport. I have no tailoring ability, and can't convince my lovely wife to do the sewing... That means I rely on sealant.
I just checked my Rallys and they have removable cores. But most of the adds say they don't**********
Old 12-20-19, 09:55 AM
6Speed
Professional Wrestler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
What does the OP want as the primary consideration in a tubular?
Durability? Plush ride? Cost?

Lots of excellent choices. The only tubulars I hear criticized are the cheap ones.

I'm mainly interested in cost and durability. This will be going on a bike that I just tool around small town to grab lunch or run an errand. No long rides or racing on this one.
Old 12-20-19, 10:10 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro

Given the widespread use of sealant these days, I don't understand why any tubulars don't have removable cores. I understand that the Rally is the bottom of Vittoria's lineup, but what's the bump in cost going to be, a couple cents? They might even save money, as they must already be producing (or contracting for) removable valve cores for their higher priced tires.
How widespread is the use of sealant in tubular tires? I have not tried it before. I have read here (in other tubular tire threads) that putting sealant in a tubular tire has several down sides. It might be OK if all I rode were the same set of tubular wheels all the time, it my tubular tire bikes are more of Sunday riders. I would be concerned about congealed sealant creating an imbalance. Also, as the latex tube naturally deflates, re-jflating with sticky latex sealant on the inside sounds like a recipe for prematurely ruining the tire.
Old 12-20-19, 11:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Tubular tires are pretty old school. Vis...Fausto Coppi (note tubular

tire draped across shoulder).
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-20-19, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Tubular tires are pretty old school. Vis...Fausto Coppi (note tubular

tire draped across shoulder).
Actually, they didn't drape the tires over their shoulders, They wore them almost like a bra put on backwards. (With an "X" in back. pre-dating the "Cross Your Heart" bras by a few decades.)
Old 12-20-19, 01:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Great picture. I like the whistle in the front motorcycle driver's mouth.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-20-19, 03:08 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Well, since I've encountered that on both clinchers and tubulars....I can only share.

The clinchers tend to go quicker.
With a flat clincher on the front, at speed, you try to corner, and the bike goes straight.
It only comes off the rim when/if you hit the brakes.
It will roll off at the ground contact point, and then the wheel will skid out from under the bike.
This is the point at which you go down.

With a flat tubular on the front, glued on, you try to corner, and the bike reluctantly turns.
It generally stays on the rim, and provides a very small bugger between the rim and road.
You may lose some control, but the tire generally stays on the rim, and no skidding.
You may still go down. but's less likely.

With a tubular, you can get as far back on the saddle as possible, keep weight off the front, and ride pretty much straight.
Which is what I did in Madison County, IL two weeks ago.
With a clincher, you can't. Pure and simple. Been there, and it did not work.
Which is what I've tried several times. Never worked.
True about clinchers usually going 100 psi to zero instantly and sometimes just losing all support and control from the wheel, instantly too, while most flats on a tub goes down more slowly.....with a "pop......hiss hiss hiss hiss hiss". As you slowly come to a more controllable stop.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.