Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

When to Ditch the Studded Snow Tires

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

When to Ditch the Studded Snow Tires

Old 03-31-19, 06:41 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Also ride/commute in Ottawa (and Gatineau). Last year I didn't have studded tires so waited until April 8th to start my riding. This year, got fed up with traffic and bought studded tires last week. Morning rides were (and ill be) often on slick black ice patches so as long as there are water patches on the roads/paths and it drops below zero, the studs will stay on. Hopefully only a week or two left...
I've been looking at the long term forecast, I was hoping that Wednesday night I might be able to take them off..... looks like next weekend at the earliest now, though.

The construction starting on the bridge yesterday may get the bike paths more crowded.
Old 03-31-19, 06:41 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
That's what I remember about Ottawa when I lived there in university--that natives refer to Toronto as the centre of the universe. Well, I'm just slightly off centre in the suburbs.
It's actually the entire rest of the country mocking Toronto.
Old 03-31-19, 10:32 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
It's actually the entire rest of the country mocking Toronto.
It's hard to feel you're not the centre of the universe when you largest city in the nation by far, and the 4th largest in North America, behind Mexico City, New York and L.A. We can't help it if the rest of the country feels like the ugly step sister. Mock away.
Old 03-31-19, 02:37 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
It's hard to feel you're not the centre of the universe when you largest city in the nation by far, and the 4th largest in North America, behind Mexico City, New York and L.A. We can't help it if the rest of the country feels like the ugly step sister. Mock away.
It's easy to mock when you guys have to call the army when you get 40 cm of snow

Originally Posted by Viich
I've been looking at the long term forecast, I was hoping that Wednesday night I might be able to take them off..... looks like next weekend at the earliest now, though.

The construction starting on the bridge yesterday may get the bike paths more crowded.
I take Macdonald-Cartier bridge so I probably won't be affected, unlike when I was using my car and stuck on King Edward because of the Macdonald-Cartier and Maisoneuve lanes merging on the Highway 50. That's suppose to be like that until July! Of course, this is peanuts compared to the daily nightmare traffics commuting in Toronto...
Old 03-31-19, 03:04 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
It's easy to mock when you guys have to call the army when you get 40 cm of snow

I take Macdonald-Cartier bridge so I probably won't be affected, unlike when I was using my car and stuck on King Edward because of the Macdonald-Cartier and Maisoneuve lanes merging on the Highway 50. That's suppose to be like that until July! Of course, this is peanuts compared to the daily nightmare traffics commuting in Toronto...
Oh yeah, we got that too. Number 1 in North America, Baby! Fortunately I don't have to put up with any of that crap. I live in the burbs and work in the near burbs.
Old 01-23-20, 08:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
the deed is done. after a "season" the studs don't look bad at all. gave the sidewalls a wipedown w protectant & will probably bag them until next winter. made sure to get the rotation correct on their replacements, 29x2.25 Riddlers. funny tho cuz their tread doesn't look obviously directional
meanwhile, 10 months later, they went back on. glad I cleaned & treated them. they were a pleasure to mount back on
Old 03-21-20, 05:53 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
I'll be ditching any day now and go with some old knobbys. I might take the partial studded (where the studs are placed near the edge of the tire) from the rear and put it on the front. Can't wait to lose the studs for this winter, and also to ride another bike for a change.
Old 03-22-20, 08:57 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I'll be ditching any day now and go with some old knobbys. I might take the partial studded (where the studs are placed near the edge of the tire) from the rear and put it on the front. Can't wait to lose the studs for this winter, and also to ride another bike for a change.
Good luck. The rule I follow is at least two consecutive weeks, maybe three, of the daily low temperature above 32F - 0C - so that the risk of black ice is diminished, if not extinguished for the season.

I might be wrong, but we're just now at Day 1 of that cycle here in Boston. I don't know what it's like in Manitoba, CA.
Old 03-22-20, 09:29 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Good luck. The rule I follow is at least two consecutive weeks, maybe three, of the daily low temperature above 32F - 0C - so that the risk of black ice is diminished, if not extinguished for the season.

I might be wrong, but we're just now at Day 1 of that cycle here in Boston. I don't know what it's like in Manitoba, CA.
Also, beware any precipitation, because it could always freeze over night or at least make the road slick. Example: We're getting 2-5 inches here in Massachusetts Monday night into Tuesday, that can create the conditions for some black ice
Old 03-22-20, 02:22 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Took mine off today. Working from home all the time, so can limit my riding to good weather, now
Old 03-24-20, 09:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
OK, not yet, I guess ...

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-29-20, 07:56 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Ok, they are swapped out as of yesterday. It's an iffy time that's for sure so thanks for the well wishing on caution. The saving grace is I'm not doing any night riding ATM. We'll see how she rolls and the next post might just come from the traction ward.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 03-29-20, 01:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I don't change tires. I change bikes. Now, as for the car, in Toronto, we've been known to get snow in April. But come May, it gets really hot really fast.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 04-02-20, 03:59 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Ditch the snow tires when the low temperature stays above 40 F over a week, the snow has melted, and no ice on your commute route. Most of the time you only need snow tires for ice. If your temperature cycles between above and below freezing after snow you need snow tires due to freezing snow and ice. If its always below freezing you don't need snow tires if they're just packed snow.
Likes For alloo: