Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade components for Topstone 105?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-01-20, 07:14 PM
callmeAL

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to decide b/w upgrading the crankset to Shimano GRX 810 (48x31) or wheelset to Mavic Allroad. Not sure how much of an upgrade the wheelset is but would change out tires to Gravelking SK's. also if i change the crankset does that require the GRX FD? Thoughts?
Old 04-01-20, 08:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 194 Posts
What are you trying to gain with a crank swap ?. Gearing is nearly the same. A different crank might save a tad bit of weight, but ainít cheap.

I could see extra wheels, I did this right away so as to run 28mm road tires with a road oriented cassette. Makes the bike into a decent road bike with a quick wheel swap,
Old 04-02-20, 08:33 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts
I have a Topstone alloy 105 also and I have considered the same changes. I agree with SteveB. that the crank is a a very marginal gain unless you make a drastic change to the gear range. Wheels are something I am looking into for my bike as I would like to have the added benefit of a different set of tires that can be easily swapped out. I do not have any hands on with the GRX though it does look interesting. I will be interested in seeing what you ultimately do and how it changes the bike for you. Personally I am so happy with what the bike is as stock I am reluctant to make any big changes other than the stem and seat.
Frank.
Old 04-03-20, 09:07 AM
callmeAL

Bikes: CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am happy with the bike but have some credit to use so I was thinking one of these two. Wheelset would probably be more useful to make it dual purpose or have a wheelset with a Gravelking SK or something more non mud friendly.
Old 04-03-20, 12:07 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Orbea Terra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 45 Posts
You would a new FD if you went with the GRX crank, due to the increase in chainline. The GRX stuff is very nice, but unless you need the lower gearing, it wouldn't be the wisest place to put your money.

Wheels are always the best bank for you buck, and having two sets for a gravel bike is handy, but the Mavic Allroads and extremely heavy, with less-than-stellar hubs. I'd look at something else.
Old 04-03-20, 01:19 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 101 Posts
WHEELS. The Topstone wheels are astonishingly heavy.
Old 04-11-20, 07:12 PM
GoodNewsEvery1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would change the wheels first. I have a topstone and will be doing that. The stock wheels are very heavy.

I will probably change the crank at some point this year. It will save a little weight and I donít like the look of the FSA crank, but it wonít add all that much performance (not like the wheels). Options include GRX (which will require FD), Easton EA90, and Praxis Zayante Carbon. But wheels first, then crank.
Old 04-11-20, 07:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodNewsEvery1 View Post
I would change the wheels first. I have a topstone and will be doing that. The stock wheels are very heavy.

I will probably change the crank at some point this year. It will save a little weight and I donít like the look of the FSA crank, but it wonít add all that much performance (not like the wheels). Options include GRX (which will require FD), Easton EA90, and Praxis Zayante Carbon. But wheels first, then crank.
The crank weight savings is 2 oz. FSA Omega ME is 871 grams according to their website. The 2x11 GRX 46/31 is 817 grams.

GRX is a very nice group, has some nice benefits like greater cassette range options, clutched rear derailer, supposed to have a very nice feel to the shifters, but itís also a very expensive group to buy. Iíll wait till they introduce a 105
level.