Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Garmin?

Old 04-05-20, 01:15 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by robkyle
For years I’ve ridden with no cyclometer on my road bike. I ride mostly solo, and being in WV, I generally ride back roads. So I’m really liking Garmin’s rear looking radar, the Varia. Now I need to find a Garmin to go with it.

I’m looking at the Garmin Edge 830 and the Edge 1030. Because the 1030 is on sale, both are priced at $400. Normally I would go with the higher end unit considering they are the same price. But I see quite a bit more negative reviews on the 1030. Also, I know the 830 is a fairly recent product release, not sure how long the 1030 has been out there. I suspect it’s fairly dated, and that’s why it’s on sale. Any input that would help me make a decision would be most appreciated.
For what it is worth Garmin has a very long hardcore tradition of most units of all their new model computers have bugs or issues, (mostly OS or software), for at least one year.
Old 04-08-20, 10:40 AM
Cyclehog93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a garmin 530

I think the 830 would be fine.
Likes For Cyclehog93:
Old 04-08-20, 01:29 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Really liking my Garmin 530. Screen is easy to see, no matter how the lighting conditions, battery life is great, GPS functions quite well, and it's user friendly.
Old 04-11-20, 04:19 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I am currently using the 530 with no complaints. I had the Wahoo bolt and for me it just didn't cut it. Before the bolt I had the 520 for years, and never had a problem. I needed additional battery life, and better maps, so the 530 is perfect- take care.