Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

fit wedges

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

fit wedges

Old 10-12-09, 07:16 AM
one_for_one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fit wedges

i have a subtle pronation in my feet and someone suggested i use fit wedges with my spd pedals. has anyone tried it or something similar?
Old 10-12-09, 07:25 AM
JoeB14
Huffin' N Puffin

Bikes: Anderson Custom Steel, Trek Madone 5.5, Lightspeed Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Lemond wedges with my SPD-SL pedals (cleats, actually). Seem to work well for me. Depending on the thickness of wedges you actually install...you may need to get longer cleat screws.
Old 10-12-09, 07:43 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
my fitter installed some for me. much better pedal stroke now.

Glenn
Old 10-12-09, 12:49 PM
swindog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Specialized s-works shoes and I went to a Specialized Body Fit expert who was able to use the right shims and arches to make a dramatic difference in my alignment and stroke. It was worth every penny. The Specialized body fit folks are really well trained and I really recommend them.
Old 10-12-09, 02:11 PM
Ware

Bikes: 2009 Felt F75, 2007 Trek 7.2FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a some kind of shim put inside the toe box of my right shoe (contrasted with a true cleat wedge) by the guy who did my fit. It was at least partly responsibly for eliminating some knee pain I was having. I say partially only because we made some other adjustments, and it wouldn't be entirely honest to state surely that it was the wedge that fixed my problem, though I believe it was.

Go for it, but I would suggest talking with someone who has experience with fitting them. I had a completely incorrect notion about how to use them, prior to my fit, and I'm very glad that I had someone do it for me.
Old 10-12-09, 03:04 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
My fitter (Nate Loyal) installed them on both sets of my shoes. Between the shims and my resizing, I was able to dodge the knife (surgery) and am now riding more than 500 miles per month with zero knee pain whatsoever.
Good luck!
Old 10-12-09, 03:36 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Wedges are a good idea for a great many riders. Most people have forefoot varus, where the foot tilts down on the outside. I've got the opposite problem forefoot valgus on the left foot and no apparent problem on the right. I only need one wedge with the thick side on the outside of the left cleat to fix my problem.

I see a lot of riders with major alignment problems. It hurts just to watch them pedal, with the knees swinging wide on every upstroke. Ideally, the knee will go straight up and down.

For those with knee problems, the wedges are no guaranteed cure. There are lots of different knee problems and some need surgery to fix.
Old 10-12-09, 11:57 PM
challaday

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until recently, I thought all this stuff was bogus. However, after working for a couple of months trying to dial in my cleats with no luck, I purchased (and installed) some wedges, and voila, knee pain gone.

I think as I've gotten older they're more valuable. When I was 20, my body didn't really care what angle my knee, ankle, or any other body part was at.
Old 10-13-09, 12:14 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Are these wedges only useful for pronation? My feet tend to splay out a little - when I turn them in (ie, straight ahead), I have more weight on the outside than the inside. I havent had a lot of pain yet, but then, I dont have the bazillion miles that most of you guys do.

Worth getting wedges for prevention?

V.
Old 10-13-09, 08:07 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had pain in one knee and lots of side to side movement in that knee at the top of the stroke. I put two shims in, and it is much better. No pain, way less movement.

I did it all by myself just by experimenting and listening to my body.
Old 10-13-09, 08:11 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
Are these wedges only useful for pronation? My feet tend to splay out a little - when I turn them in (ie, straight ahead)

V.
Do not worry about trying to force your feet to point straight. Your feet on the pedals should mimic your natural stance. You should never try to force yourself into a unnatural position.
Old 10-13-09, 08:14 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
Are these wedges only useful for pronation? My feet tend to splay out a little - when I turn them in (ie, straight ahead), I have more weight on the outside than the inside. I havent had a lot of pain yet, but then, I dont have the bazillion miles that most of you guys do.

Worth getting wedges for prevention?

V.
The wedges can be used for either setup. They are very thing pieces of yellow plastic (LeMond Wedges). I've been using them for a few years and they have been a big help. Have them under both cleats. The company that sells them will help you on the phone to get them dialed in properly.
Old 10-13-09, 08:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by spdrcr5
The wedges can be used for either setup. They are very thing pieces of yellow plastic (LeMond Wedges). I've been using them for a few years and they have been a big help. Have them under both cleats. The company that sells them will help you on the phone to get them dialed in properly.
The wedges don't help with horizontal foot position, only vertical, but vertical aligment problems can go either direction, with inside or outside of the foot tilted down.

As others noted, it's usually not wise to attempt to correct foot angle. The most common problem is the heel is too close to the chainstays. I see that a lot. Some riders increase the tread width of the pedals with extensions to help. I've seen some very powerful riders with long pedal spindle extensions of different lengths on each side. Apparently real goofy footed people.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 10-13-09 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 12:00 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Well, it isnt so much straightening my feet completely - I am quite comfy with my feet turned in somewhat, but in such a case, my knees bend in a bit and I put more weight on the outside and less on the inside. If I spread my weight evenly on my feet, they tend to splay outwards.

"Feet turned in somewhat" (not all the way, though) is how I cycle actually, and havent had any pain so far for the past 3-4 months of road riding, and MTBing prior to that.

That's why I am trying to figure out if this is a case when it is better to act first before trouble starts, or if it falls in the "aint broke, leave well alone" category.

V.

Last edited by guadzilla; 10-13-09 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 01:36 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you don't have pain, I wouldn't mess with it.

My pain came as soon as I went clipless, it didn't "develop" over time. It went away as quick at it came once I put the shims in.