Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Had A Good Ride Today

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Had A Good Ride Today

Old 03-25-20, 07:34 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Had A Good Ride Today

Had a good ride today,the regular morning Rec Ride at Sunrise on the Lake. The air was clean and crisp with just enough breeze to keep you cool without having to fight it. Cloud cover blocked out the sun since I got a late start.Importantly, for the first time, I was able to claim my share of the bike path for myself just for the shear enjoyment of it. I don't own the bike path but I was able to claim my fair share for myself.

I think in these times the best thing you can do for yourself is get outside in some fresh air, get in a ride and take some deep breaths. Mine is on the lake at sunrise when I can get there early enough.

So, how did your regular ride go today? Not the planned trip, your regular ride. And do you plan to make a special effort to get out into some fresh air and if so, where?

Last edited by mjac; 03-28-20 at 04:27 AM.
Likes For mjac:
Old 03-25-20, 09:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I would ride .... but I am inside agonizing what pedals to attach to my bike.

I haven't tried the local MUP ... sort of afraid that it will be worse than usual. The roads are a lot emptier though. My regular routes are even more pleasant with fewer cars.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-25-20, 09:51 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Rode my grocery grabber to Walmart, Publix and CVS this morning. Roads had much less traffic but County Park path I took was much more crowded with walkers w/wo dogs and bikers compared to BC-19 days. Another Midnight Madness ride planned for tonight similar to Monday's overnight 101 miler. Hopefully no flat or rain to end the ride prematurely lowering the mileage.
Old 03-25-20, 09:51 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I was out Monday on ride about 60% roads and 40% trails and during the trail section I was about to leave and group of about 6 I think high school age kids were
walking towards me. As I got closer some girl in the group started this hacking cough as they started laughing. Held my breath until I pass by.
I am starting to think maybe trails are not the best choice for awhile.
Old 03-25-20, 10:22 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I’ve been doing a big country loop solo on my days off. Trying to get base miles and evaluate my comfort on the bike and how happy my drivetrain is (or isn’t) with the 2 chain waxing system I am using on both my road bikes. The repetition of eating an apple, a banana and a cliff bar while out on my ride gives some structure and sustenance to my 2.5-3.5 hour loop.

Temps are mostly in the 40’s lately but gradually moving into the 50’s now. I’m wearing my Fizik Arctic winter cycling boots with Merino wool socks which really helps me stay out there longer.
Old 03-25-20, 11:35 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
We're having some lovely weather at the moment so I went out for a longer ride than usual today into the Surrey Hills - an area of outstanding natural beauty. I can't go too far as I still have to fit in a full day's work, albeit in my own hours. Traffic much quieter than usual, of course. It was a real pleasure to be out.
Old 03-25-20, 12:17 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I would ride .... but I am inside agonizing what pedals to attach to my bike.
I hate it when that happens.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-25-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 12:31 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I did 11 miles of easy trails on the man bike after work yesterday. I ride there regularly, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many people out on a Tuesday afternoon.

I saw a report on the local news this morning about a big uptick in cycling for the time of the year, with one local shop reporting a 4x increase in bike sales last week over the week before.
Old 03-25-20, 03:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
High 50s around here today, and sunny. I went out for my first ride of 2020 on my newly powder-coated frame. Only half of the bars is taped. I carried my water bottle and tools in a backpack because I preferred riding to wrenching. I didn't have to think about pedals, luckily. My Five Tens don't fit into toeclips.
Old 03-25-20, 05:54 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Beautiful
Old 03-27-20, 03:17 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I had a great 15 mile solo ride today up in the hills above Porter Ranch, CA, just north of L.A. If anybody remembers the big gas leak of a few years ago, this is right at the gate of the gas company property. The wild mustard is growing crazy, and when it dies off, will be wild fire fuel, unfortunately the other thing Porter Ranch is known for besides gas leaks. It sure was beautiful today though. Mid 60s, breezy, good to be out of the house.

Gas Co. guard shack, far left.

Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-27-20, 10:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
27 miles outside, looks like it'll be indoors for the weekend. Colder weather with snow/rain.
Old 03-28-20, 07:08 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
13.7 mile ride yesterday,very little traffic out but lots of walkers and runners out
Old 03-29-20, 05:08 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I had a great 15 mile solo ride today up in the hills above Porter Ranch, CA, just north of L.A. If anybody remembers the big gas leak of a few years ago, this is right at the gate of the gas company property. The wild mustard is growing crazy, and when it dies off, will be wild fire fuel, unfortunately the other thing Porter Ranch is known for besides gas leaks. It sure was beautiful today though. Mid 60s, breezy, good to be out of the house.

Gas Co. guard shack, far left.

Sounds like a great ride. I hope it can repeat itself.
Old 03-29-20, 09:41 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Trying to ride to stay healthy, we did a 4 rider social distance ride yesterday. 26 miles, from Moorpark, CA, over the hill to Simi Valley and back. It was a great day to ride, and we all needed to get out a little, especially one of our riders, a Kaiser doctor. We all kept our distance, no Starbucks stop, good times, in the midst of bad times everywhere. The bike paths and most trails, parks and beaches are closed in LA County, but in neighboring Ventura County, at least the bike paths were open. Stay home, stay healthy, ride if you can.

Empty bowling alley parking lot.

Bad selfie, but socially distant.

Reagan Library, Simi Valley, top of the hill.

Social distance ride break.

Uncrowded bike path is still open.

Last year's fire damage, new growth this year.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-29-20, 07:07 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Rode Flagstaff Mtn from home Saturday, bought a coupla GP 4 season tires at my favorite bike shop on the way. Didn't really need them yet, but wanted to do a little economic stimulus. Really beautiful, fresh snow all around so turned back at turnoff to the Amphitheater. First ride in the mtns this year. Joyful.
Old 03-29-20, 07:29 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Had a great 32 mile ride yesterday, doing that particular route for the first time since getting back on the road from being out of the country for a year.

There were tons of cyclists. There were quite a few whole families out on bikes where I was riding, especially the mile or two that were on a MUP, but even in the neighborhoods it seems a lot of folks were out riding. It was a fantastic cycling day, in the low 70s and clear.

I had to ride this particular route one last time out of nostalgia, because it was my go-to route for regular mid-distance mileage in recent years, and I'd ridden it many dozens of times. While I was gone they extended a particular major road out by where I live so I'm going to modify the route, cutting about a mile off the distance but eliminating two left turns across highly trafficked roads. It'll be inconsequentially shorter and slightly safer from now on. I'll ride the modified route this coming week, make a Strava segment out of it, and hopefully rack up dozens of rides on it in the coming months.
Old 03-30-20, 05:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I would ride .... but I am inside agonizing what pedals to attach to my bike. .
shudda changed my pedals yesterday cuz I don't have shoe covers for cleated shoes/pedals. yesterday was a good day for my winter foot wear, but only my road bike doesn't have studs
Old 03-30-20, 05:58 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Very windy yesterday here in SE Michigan. 40mph+ gusts were creating a lot of havoc for us cyclists. some even almost blown off their bikes. I got a 57 mile ride in, 20 miles of it into the strong headwinds. And rain started to fall towards the last few miles of my ride. Not one the best rides, but it was still good to be out.
Since this whole virus thing started, I still have not backed off my riding. If anything, I'd rode more due to the lighter traffic on the roads.
Old 03-30-20, 07:35 AM
mjac

Trying to ride to stay healthy, we did a 4 rider social distance ride yesterday. 26 miles, from Moorpark, CA, over the hill to Simi Valley and back. It was a great day to ride, and we all needed to get out a little, especially one of our riders, a Kaiser doctor. We all kept our distance, no Starbucks stop, good times, in the midst of bad times everywhere. The bike paths and most trails, parks and beaches are closed in LA County, but in neighboring Ventura County, at least the bike paths were open. Stay home, stay healthy, ride if you can.

Empty bowling alley parking lot.

Bad selfie, but socially distant.

Reagan Library, Simi Valley, top of the hill.

Social distance ride break.

Uncrowded bike path is still open.

Last year's fire damage, new growth this year.
Originally Posted by randallr
Rode Flagstaff Mtn from home Saturday, bought a coupla GP 4 season tires at my favorite bike shop on the way. Didn't really need them yet, but wanted to do a little economic stimulus. Really beautiful, fresh snow all around so turned back at turnoff to the Amphitheater. First ride in the mtns this year. Joyful.
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Had a great 32 mile ride yesterday, doing that particular route for the first time since getting back on the road from being out of the country for a year.

There were tons of cyclists. There were quite a few whole families out on bikes where I was riding, especially the mile or two that were on a MUP, but even in the neighborhoods it seems a lot of folks were out riding. It was a fantastic cycling day, in the low 70s and clear.

I had to ride this particular route one last time out of nostalgia, because it was my go-to route for regular mid-distance mileage in recent years, and I'd ridden it many dozens of times. While I was gone they extended a particular major road out by where I live so I'm going to modify the route, cutting about a mile off the distance but eliminating two left turns across highly trafficked roads. It'll be inconsequentially shorter and slightly safer from now on. I'll ride the modified route this coming week, make a Strava segment out of it, and hopefully rack up dozens of rides on it in the coming months.
Originally Posted by friday1970
Very windy yesterday here in SE Michigan. 40mph+ gusts were creating a lot of havoc for us cyclists. some even almost blown off their bikes. I got a 57 mile ride in, 20 miles of it into the strong headwinds. And rain started to fall towards the last few miles of my ride. Not one the best rides, but it was still good to be out.
Since this whole virus thing started, I still have not backed off my riding. If anything, I'd rode more due to the lighter traffic on the roads.
r

A nice ride is good for what ails you.
Old 03-31-20, 09:06 PM
Slightspeed

Nice little 16 mile ride to the post office this morning on the '73 Super Course. I took a couple mile gravel detour around Chatsworth Park. Mid to high '70s temps, wild flowers are amazing, and the painted lady butterflies are flying all around. Great day on the bike, solo, socially distant. There were only a couple of walkers on the dirt trail, and few cars on the roads. Even had 2 Strava bests on the old SC. I'd call that a good ride.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-31-20 at 09:09 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 04-01-20, 05:17 AM
mjac

Nice little 16 mile ride to the post office this morning on the '73 Super Course. I took a couple mile gravel detour around Chatsworth Park. Mid to high '70s temps, wild flowers are amazing, and the painted lady butterflies are flying all around. Great day on the bike, solo, socially distant. There were only a couple of walkers on the dirt trail, and few cars on the roads. Even had 2 Strava bests on the old SC. I'd call that a good ride.

Isn't it true, sometimes a ride just comes together and reminds you why you ride. Nice pictures,nice bike. I have to get me some leather wraps, I do not know if they work, but they sure look good.
Old 04-01-20, 10:12 AM
Slightspeed

Originally Posted by mjac
Isn't it true, sometimes a ride just comes together and reminds you why you ride. Nice pictures,nice bike. I have to get me some leather wraps, I do not know if they work, but they sure look good.
I'm pretty happy with the Brooks leather wraps (above), a little pricy, but they are in their 4th year, over 3500 bike miles. I also have some Chinese faux leather, found on Ebay, that I actually like the feel of better. These have been re-wraped a couple of times, don't seem to discolor, and have held up well for over a year so far. Thanks for the nice words.
Old 04-01-20, 01:28 PM
mjac

I'm pretty happy with the Brooks leather wraps (above), a little pricy, but they are in their 4th year, over 3500 bike miles. I also have some Chinese faux leather, found on Ebay, that I actually like the feel of better. These have been re-wraped a couple of times, don't seem to discolor, and have held up well for over a year so far. Thanks for the nice words.
a

Pretty classy looking.
Old 04-02-20, 08:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Wet & cool (40*F) weather has kept me inside a couple of days but still getting out to ride much quieter roads.

Walls along the way

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.