Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Considering buying my first cyclocross bike, have additional questions.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 11:57 AM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I was originally having difficulty figuring out if I wanted a hard tail 29er or a cyclocross style bike. I'm now leaning the cyclocross direction... Majority of the biking I plan on doing will be on dirt/gravel paths. I also wanted the option to do some group road riding with a simple wheel/tire change.

I have quite a bit of brand loyalty to Cannondale because I used to race them back in college and they treated me well. I've started to look into the CaadX 105 and even the SuperX 105. I'm curious what the community thinks of them, and maybe highlight anything I'm missing. I'm not dead set on Cannondale, but they are very strong considerations to me.
  • I'm currently 6'4" 310 pounds, will either bike have any trouble supporting me? I'm not a gentle rider.
  • I noticed a lot of people didn't like the breaks on the CaadX, the SuperX seems like it has several upgrades over the CaadX. Worth $390 price difference?
  • I'm going to want the beefiest tires possible for the gravel/dirt. Any recommendations of what to look for?
  • Competitor bikes to the CaadX/SuperX worth looking at? I surely will consider.

Thanks,
Ghostcode
Old 04-15-16, 03:35 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd get a gravel road/adventure bike.

A CX geometry just doesn't seem stable on gravel... my last CX bike slid hard on gravel leaving me with a nearly shattered tibia.

I will never go back to CX geometry again.
Old 04-15-16, 03:50 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh, I just checked out Cannondales gravel bike. The Slate... Looks amazing but now we're talking $2,980 starting price for a 105 bike?
Old 04-15-16, 04:59 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostcode
Ugh, I just checked out Cannondales gravel bike. The Slate... Looks amazing but now we're talking $2,980 starting price for a 105 bike?
Its top of the line... the similar BD Omni Strada Expert goes for a third of that at $999 is more reasonable.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/omnistrada-expert-discbrake-bike.htm

Old 04-15-16, 06:49 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Its top of the line... the similar BD Omni Strada Expert goes for a third of that at $999 is more reasonable.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/omnistrada-expert-gry-6.jpg[/IMG]]404 Page - Bikesdirect Incredible Bicycle Deals Sitewide
There is hardly anything similar about that bike or any other bike to the Slate. The Slat has a lefty suspension fork and 27.5 wheels and tires and I haven't seen any other gravel bikes with that set up. With that said, I paid about $1300 for my DB Haanjo with ultegra and hydraulic discs and I couldn't see any reason to spend 3x+ for a Slate
Old 04-15-16, 09:03 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm honestly not seeing much difference between all these CX, Adventure, Gravel etc bikes. All seems like marketing to me. I'm most interested in the SuperX 105 right now, wasn't sure if anyone had experience with one they could share.
Old 04-15-16, 10:06 PM
Gus90

Bikes: A few too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if you ran across this article but I found it relevant to your question OP. Hope it helps.

https://gearjunkie.com/gravel-advent...nce-road-bikes
Old 04-16-16, 12:03 AM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostcode
I'm honestly not seeing much difference between all these CX, Adventure, Gravel etc bikes. All seems like marketing to me. I'm most interested in the SuperX 105 right now, wasn't sure if anyone had experience with one they could share.

Its not marketing. The difference is CX bikes are racier and more nimble-handling like classic road bikes while gravel road/adventure bikes borrow from the endurance geometry of modern comfort road bikes. So there is a real difference in handling and ride feel. Its a matter of personal preference.
Old 04-16-16, 08:09 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
@Ghostcode

I'd snap the SuperX up in a heartbeat, assuming I liked the fit and ride. You're not going to find too many full carbon bikes with hydros for under 2k. I can't comment on how the bike would handle under a rider of your size. Given that it's a CX bike though, I'd say it could stand a fair amount of abuse.

And yes, the differences between all the CX/gravel/adventure/etc bikes can be a bit hazy at times. In my opinion, a CX bike would work just fine for all your stated needs.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-16, 03:35 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin1138
@Ghostcode

I'd snap the SuperX up in a heartbeat, assuming I liked the fit and ride. You're not going to find too many full carbon bikes with hydros for under 2k. I can't comment on how the bike would handle under a rider of your size. Given that it's a CX bike though, I'd say it could stand a fair amount of abuse.

And yes, the differences between all the CX/gravel/adventure/etc bikes can be a bit hazy at times. In my opinion, a CX bike would work just fine for all your stated needs.

Good luck.
Kinda my thoughts as well, I did check the manual. They said 300lbs rider and 30lbs gear - 330 lbs total is the weight limit. I'm also not planning on getting any heavier so I think I should be okay. Appreciate the insight.
Old 04-16-16, 04:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
RACE cyclocross is mostly a Sprint between tight corners , interrupted by Dismounts ..

Lower end are essentially Drop bar commuter bikes that take racks and Muguards..

lighter than touring , with a shorter wheelbase.

300 pound rider you may ask the dealer to work an exchange of stock for beefier wheels
more spokes rather than less..