Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Here we go again, black or silver chainrings on the Krapf bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 10:39 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,001 Times in 1,781 Posts

Just seeking opinions again.....

Going with pretty much all silver Superbe parts on the Krapf. Yet the Superbe Crank I have has black chainrings on it. To me they just don't look right on this.

For comparison here's an all silver Dura Ace placed on there.

So what do you think, silver or black?

As luck would have it I have no extra silver 130bcd chainrings on hand. I have a set of grey ones but not silver. But I do have two Dura Ace 7402 cranksets so I could just steal the best sets of rings off of them. I want to stick with the Superbe Cranks and do have a Campagnolo BB in the proper 109mm spindle length. It's just the one with adjusting cups on both ends instead of one being fixed. It should work OK though.

Or I could spend close to $200 on NOS Superbe silver chainrings, or just leave the black, or....
Old 02-26-23, 11:09 AM
notenoughdaylig 

Bikes: atala cromor salsa las cruces slingshot boomtube merckx mxm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I like the black. It picks up the accents in the seat and post. Black tape and/or hoods?

Maybe it's the white background but I think the silver gets lost.
Likes For notenoughdaylig:
Old 02-26-23, 11:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by notenoughdaylig
I like the black. It picks up the accents in the seat and post. Black tape and/or hoods?

Maybe it's the white background but I think the silver gets lost.
I agree with this. It also depends on what the bar tape will be and the rest of the components. I happen to have a set of white Superbe chainrings, but they're in average condition. A nice set of those could be the answer, or not.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-26-23, 11:36 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
If I was going to obsess over this, I think in terms of 3s in a triangular arrangement for multi-colors. Black at the bottom = 2 other things black up high, 1 at the front and one at the rear. For example, bar wrap and seatpost to go with the chainring.

My 2 farthings…
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 02-26-23, 11:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here you go just for reference. I take/have taken pics of my bikes with lots of different tire/rim combos. I've got black/black, black/gummy, chrome/black/gummy, etc. If you want to know how a certain combo will look with the red/white, let me know.

Old 02-26-23, 11:39 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
I prefer silver and with the DuraAce crankset because the seat stays are partially chromed.
Old 02-26-23, 11:55 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
I am prone to Silver. But the black does not look bad. If you were to stay with the black it would help to add other accents or black components to the mix.

I come from the days of Polished Aluminum and Chrome indicating better quality in manufacture and care. I see very nice components anodized or coated black but then again most often I see a heavy powder coat covering up a poor finish.

Putting together economical bikes out of parts bins has been my bailiwick. So over the years I have had to accommodate those Black Heavy Powder Coated components to save money. I did a search and found a chart of best colors for black components. The chart does not include the new subdued colors that are becoming popular in the mountain bikes. It still applies though as you just consider the hue of the color. For what its worth here it is...

P.S. - NICE BIKE!!!!
Old 02-26-23, 12:53 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I probably need to mock it up fully to decide. i just put a highly polished stem on it after these shots and the handlebars I use on it will be also. I'll probably stick with that saddle not the seatpost. Here again I'm planning something polished to a mirror shine.

I'm also thinking red bar tape, brake levers are silver with black hoods. Toss up right now between yellow or red cable housing.

Mocked up with the parts this morning,

Thought I had another problem in that the FD at it's highest position in the braze on slot wasn't clearing the 52T chainring which seemed odd. But this Suntour FD-SB00-B appears to have some adjustments you can make to the body of it that seem like they will affect the angle and height. So I need to play with that and figure it out.
Old 02-26-23, 01:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I probably need to mock it up fully to decide. i just put a highly polished stem on it after these shots and the handlebars I use on it will be also. I'll probably stick with that saddle not the seatpost. Here again I'm planning something polished to a mirror shine.

I'm also thinking red bar tape, brake levers are silver with black hoods. Toss up right now between yellow or red cable housing.

Mocked up with the parts this morning,

Thought I had another problem in that the FD at it's highest position in the braze on slot wasn't clearing the 52T chainring which seemed odd. But this Suntour FD-SB00-B appears to have some adjustments you can make to the body of it that seem like they will affect the angle and height. So I need to play with that and figure it out.
I like the black picking up on the black seat post fluting....

Old 02-26-23, 02:03 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
A vote for silver for me, as georges1 says i think its will look nicer with the chrome socks on forks and stays and the chrome on the fork crown, especially if you're going the shiny silver look on seatpost and stem.

......the red on the saddle being a slightly different red to that on the frame has me a bit .
Old 02-26-23, 02:06 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
Looks better without the red tyres too imo.
Old 02-26-23, 02:13 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
Black rings and bar tape, red cabling for the win (for me)...or red tape I guess. And red tires.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-26-23, 05:09 PM
jamesdak 

Well crap. Either I'm an idiot (possible) or something is wrong. I just tried 6 different FD on this bike and none seem to be able to adjust high enough to clear the large chainring. Off by several mms it seems. Don't get it. Neither 53 or 52 work and come on, no one was building a race bike for a smaller chainring back then. I also can't believe that the braze on could have been put on so far off. Also realizing it may be a bit tricky to get the FD cable to clear that rear tire....

Thought is was something to do with the Superbe FD since it's supposed to have some kind of adjustment to it. The enclosed directions don't address that and so far I haven't found anything googling. But then I tried with a whole bunch of others and all are showing the same problem. The stepped insert is removable but I can't see how there is any adjustability? Maybe different inserts?

Freak....now I can't upload pics. I just quit for the day.

I did decide on silver chainrings, I just don't want a lot of black on this one. Of course I sliced my finger open somehow doing the chainrings so they were pretty much matching red when I got done.

I'm probably just having one of my scrambled brains moments but for now no more work on this thing.

Last edited by jamesdak; 02-26-23 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Trying to upload pics. Can't do anything right I guess....
Old 02-26-23, 07:40 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Silver gets my vote for your chainrings.

As for your FD clearance issue, I'm now using a 50 tooth big ring on several of my bikes with 130mm BCD cranks. True, the 50 is not "racy", but the 39 to 50 upshift is super smooth/easy and I rarely spin out the 50. 'Course I'm knocking on 72 years old. Ugh!

Dean
Old 02-26-23, 09:03 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 55 Posts
I think it looks wonderful with the silver chainrings. More vintage to me.
Likes For Steel1:
Old 02-27-23, 04:31 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I'd mock it up using a black outer and silver inner. The black outer ring mirroring the black tire, and the silver inner ring mirroring the silver of the rim.

I mention this because with both rings the same color, neither really works for me. The double black is too much black, the double silver too much silver. With the black accents of the seatpost, tires and hoods, silver inside black rings ...."mmmmmm ..... just right" !
Old 02-27-23, 06:05 AM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
While I´m not usually fond of black parts on bikes, I think I actually prefer the black chainrings on this one. I think it would look great, if you use it together with some black or very dark grey rims, think old Mavic for instance. I would prefer it with black skinwall tires. With this combo I would even consider a black stem. With these colors I would also use black bar tape. The red tires should in my opinion ONLY be used if you plan to ride dressed like Ronald McDonald!. I think they are absolutely hideous.
Old 03-03-23, 09:27 AM
jamesdak 

Time to get back at this one over the weekend. The plan right now is just to sort out the crank/FD issues. First I'm going to properly install the BB which may be a bit tricky on this one. It's a used BB with adjusting cups on both sides. So I'll probably have to mess around with adjustments a bit to get the chainline right and the cups torqued. Then I'll torque on the crank and see if there really is a FD fit problem. If so I'm going to order a 50T chain ring and run with things. I do need to make sure the extraction threads on the crank are good in case I wind up pulling it back off. I've had a whole week of the bike sitting in the living room to look at. I am sticking with the silver chain rings, they just look proper. Handlebars are due in today so that puts me another step closer to the build.

Then I want to properly clean out the seat tube as a 27.2 is fitting only with a struggle. Once it's clean and smooth I'll see if I have a nice shiny seatpost in the stash for it or if I need to source one. I'd love to put on an old "aero" style with a mirror finish but don't know off the top of my head what I have in my stash of seatposts right now.

The yellow strips on this lean towards orange or gold a bit. So I may try and find some brake housing that's more gold than yellow. I have an old gold Sedis (I think) chain in my parts stash that may then look good on this too. Probably just stick to silver though, have a nice Sram already set aside for it.

More to follow as I play with it over the next couple of days.