Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with Bike Identification Please?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 05:08 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts

A friend of a friend's died a while back, and I understand he was a meticulous machinist/aircraft mechanic type. My friend helped clean his house out, and was given all sorts of cool stuff. Among these items were a couple bicycles, one frame, and one complete which were given to me. The complete one is the one in question today, and if you guys can help, I would really appreciate it. The bike is filthy from sitting all those years, but it seems to have an aero style frame?
I'll start with the head badge.

Next, the whole bike.

The group set is Shimano 600.

and,

The brakes appear to be very nice too.

And as a bonus, the cycle computer seems to have solar built in at the top? Not sure about that.
Edit, just read the bottom that says Cateye Solar.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 09-01-19, 05:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-aero-way.html

The ClaremontCyclist: Vintage and Classic: SR Bicycle with Shimano 600ax...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...1980-s-sr.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=bike+forums+sr+bicycle+site:www.bikeforums.net&rlz=1CAKVPC_enUS837&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo2_vW5b DkAhUvmeAKHefbD5wQrQIoBDAAegQICRAN&biw=1366&bih=609

Last edited by dedhed; 09-01-19 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-01-19, 05:51 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Looks like a complete AX groupset from '82 - Shimano's first attempt at 'aero' components. If the bars are AX, you're sitting on a small fortune.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/index.html

Last edited by P!N20; 09-01-19 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 05:56 PM
Ballenxj

Thanks! It seems to be an 81 or 82 model then? Wow, a real vintage classic! Only 38 or 39 years old though.
Old 10-20-19, 09:55 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by P!N20
Looks like a complete AX groupset from '82 - Shimano's first attempt at 'aero' components. If the bars are AX, you're sitting on a small fortune.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/index.html
Just now saw this. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check the handlebars. I take it they will be marked AX?
Old 10-20-19, 10:38 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I'm very sorry about the loss of your father. He must have been a beautiful tall fellow to ride that big bike. It's a valuable item. I would consider cleaning it up & restoring it. Keep it as long as you can. If you have to let it go, make sure it goes to someone that loves it as much as you do.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 10-21-19, 02:13 AM
P!N20

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
I take it they will be marked AX?
Yep, on the NDS shoulder. Like these:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adam_b83/16244827465
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-21-19, 05:37 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
On the CatEye, if you want to go full resto, I have a new- or barely-used model in the box I'm happy to send your way to clear space on my shelf. You pay the ride.
Likes For francophile:
Old 10-21-19, 11:01 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by ramzilla
I'm very sorry about the loss of your father. He must have been a beautiful tall fellow to ride that big bike. It's a valuable item. I would consider cleaning it up & restoring it. Keep it as long as you can. If you have to let it go, make sure it goes to someone that loves it as much as you do.
I appreciate the condolences, however it was not my fathers bike. It belonged to a fellow named John, whom I never met, and died somewhere in the neighborhood of six years prior to today. I met his friend through a friend, and we helped clean and clear out a bunch of stuff for his daughter that lives in a different state.

Thanks, I will try to look later.

Originally Posted by francophile
On the CatEye, if you want to go full resto, I have a new- or barely-used model in the box I'm happy to send your way to clear space on my shelf. You pay the ride.

That is a very generous offer, but I'm not sure if I will restore it or sell it. It's a wee bit too big for me.
Old 10-21-19, 03:41 PM
Ballenxj

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adam_b83/16244827465
OK, Here's what I got. I can see the headset is Shimano 600, but I'm hoping you can tell me about the bars.
Old 10-21-19, 05:28 PM
P!N20

OK, Here's what I got. I can see the headset is Shimano 600, but I'm hoping you can tell me about the bars.
Alps Road Champion. Nice bars, but not AX.
Old 10-21-19, 09:08 PM
Ballenxj

Alps Road Champion. Nice bars, but not AX.
Dang, Thanks!
Old 10-21-19, 10:25 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
The stem is a really nice piece.
Old 10-22-19, 07:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
These SR Aero frames are really interesting in that they take a different approach to aero tubing. There are two standard approaches, which I call full aero and quasi aero. Full aero uses a down tube and seat tube that are areo profile along their entire length. This provides a high degree of areodynamic efficency at the expense of frame rigidity and cost. Quasi-aero utilizes down tubes and seat tubes that are aero only in their mid-section, with round ends. This compromises the aerodynamics but is stiffer than full aero, while allowing the use of standard lugs, bottom bracket shells and clamp style front derailleurs to save cost.

The subject frame actually has down tubes and seat tubes that are oval at one end and in the middle, only being round at the bottom bracket end. This is an interesting trade-off between aerodynamic efficiency, frame stiffness and cost. Aerodynamics are better than a quasi-areo frame and the bottom bracket stiffness will be better than a full aero frame, while still gaining some cost saving from a standard bottom bracket shell and the ability to spec a clamp style front derailleur.

This frame design appears to quite rare. To date, I've only seen it on Miki manufactured frames. I'd appreciate the serial number, which would confirm the origin and year. TIA. I'd also appreciate a photo of what appears to be a tubing decal at the top of the seat tube. TIA. While it is Tange Aero tubing, the decal may provide a clue as to whether this is a standard tubeset or something custom. Hopefully, it's not a Shimano AX decal.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-22-19 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-22-19, 02:05 PM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
These SR Aero frames are really interesting in that they take a different approach to aero tubing. There are two standard approaches, which I call full aero and quasi aero. Full aero uses a down tube and seat tube that are areo profile along their entire length. This provides a high degree of areodynamic efficency at the expense of frame rigidity and cost. Quasi-aero utilizes down tubes and seat tubes that are aero only in their mid-section, with round ends. This compromises the aerodynamics but is stiffer than full aero, while allowing the use of standard lugs, bottom bracket shells and clamp style front derailleurs to save cost.

The subject frame actually has down tubes and seat tubes that are oval at one end and in the middle, only being round at the bottom bracket end. This is an interesting trade-off between aerodynamic efficiency, frame stiffness and cost. Aerodynamics are better than a quasi-areo frame and the bottom bracket stiffness will be better than a full aero frame, while still gaining some cost saving from a standard bottom bracket shell and the ability to spec a clamp style front derailleur.

This frame design appears to quite rare. To date, I've only seen it on Miki manufactured frames. I'd appreciate the serial number, which would confirm the origin and year. TIA. I'd also appreciate a photo of what appears to be a tubing decal at the top of the seat tube. TIA. While it is Tange Aero tubing, the decal may provide a clue as to whether this is a standard tubeset or something custom. Hopefully, it's not a Shimano AX decal.
Years ago I came across a frame that is very similar to this. In a rather poor condition. At that time I was trying to identify and couldn't find exactly the right one. It's a pretty heavy frame, and I think it's not very high quality. Shimano dropouts, aero shifter boss on DT's top. Only DT flattened, but drastically and only in the middle section of the tube. The seatpost lug is a different type than this SR, if I remember correctly. But the brake cable runs at the bottom of the tube, which I have only seen on SR bikes from this semi-aero type. As I write from Europe, I think the Dutch line cannot be ruled out as the Japanese influence was particularly strong at that time. I have to look up from the bottom of the chamber, but once I find it, I'll put a picture of it.
Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 10-22-19, 02:31 PM
Tiny1990

Bikes: 1990 Diamondback Interval, 08 Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That bike is killer! That stem is awesome too. Cool bike, Cool parts. Looks like it would clean up nice
Likes For Tiny1990:
Old 10-22-19, 03:08 PM
Ballenxj

I'd appreciate the serial number, which would confirm the origin and year. TIA. I'd also appreciate a photo of what appears to be a tubing decal at the top of the seat tube. TIA. While it is Tange Aero tubing, the decal may provide a clue as to whether this is a standard tubeset or something custom. Hopefully, it's not a Shimano AX decal.
The Decal;

The serial number.
Old 10-22-19, 04:41 PM
T-Mar

Thxs. As I suspected, the frame was manufactured by Miki of Japan, a known SR contractor. This one was built in early 1982, so it would be a 1982 model. Based on the the tubing decal the frame is plain/straight gauge CrMo. There was also a butted and double plain gauge Tange Aero set.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-22-19, 09:14 PM
Ballenxj

Thxs. As I suspected, the frame was manufactured by Miki of Japan, a known SR contractor. This one was built in early 1982, so it would be a 1982 model. Based on the the tubing decal the frame is plain/straight gauge CrMo. There was also a butted and double plain gauge Tange Aero set.
This is certainly more than I knew about this Bike yesterday. Thank You.
Old 10-26-19, 06:25 PM
Ballenxj

Just wnt to give a hearty shout out to all that helped me pin this down, and Thank You all!
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 09-06-20, 07:34 PM
flhxdave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank You!

Just wnt to give a hearty shout out to all that helped me pin this down, and Thank You all!
I too was able to benefit from this thread. I am trying to identify an SR bike I've had for a long time, in preparation of selling. It is a beautiful example with several upgrades. Not sure if its a Semi-Pro, Gran Sport, or ? I do know my Serial Number is; M3M73744. Sounds like a 'Miki' manufactured frame? Maybe; 83? Any tips on identifying the model? TIA
Likes For flhxdave:
Old 09-07-20, 06:51 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by flhxdave
I too was able to benefit from this thread. I am trying to identify an SR bike I've had for a long time, in preparation of selling. It is a beautiful example with several upgrades. Not sure if its a Semi-Pro, Gran Sport, or ? I do know my Serial Number is; M3M73744. Sounds like a 'Miki' manufactured frame? Maybe; 83? Any tips on identifying the model? TIA
Welcome to the forums. Yes, it was manufactured by Miki during 1983 but it's late enough in the calendar year that it's almost certainly a 1984 model. Also, Miki was typically not used to manufacture anything lower than mid-range. Beyond that, a list of the known OEM components and photos of the bicycle may help to identify the model.
Likes For T-Mar: