Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycles saved from the Dump (rubbish tip).

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bicycles saved from the Dump (rubbish tip).

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 12:19 AM
soccersonoma10
I likeuh to bikeuh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordy87
Hey guy’s,

First time post!

I read on here alot about bikes being rescued from skips/ dumps/ tips but I’d just like to reiterate the question asked by BoiseShwin: how do you go about taking things from the dump?

I’ve been to the dump a few times recently but couldn’t see anything. I live in Scotland (U.K.) so if anyone can recommend any dumps that might have older bikes then I’m all ears.

Thanks very much.

G.
Some dumps have recycle centers, I have gotten two completely rideable bicycles from these. In Scotland, I'm sure you could find something trolling about Glasgow, plenty of people bike there.
Old 07-15-08, 09:22 AM
BJK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My jalopy...

Hey, what's the story on your bike? Very unusual frame. Most of us geeks want details: can you give us the scoop on what you know? (year, make, etc). Thanks!
Old 07-19-08, 05:08 PM
spiker

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey - Shogun 400 - '75 Raleigh Tourist - Raleigh Grand Prix - Gitane Tour de France- Schwinn Le Tour - Univega Maxima Sport (winter bike) Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
At the swap shop to day there were 2 Univaga 3-speeds, one with dropbars, a woman's Sears 3-speed (the best looking of the bunch) & one in the worst state had a headbadge that said Sport 70, had just a Sport decal on the seat tube along with a made in west germany sticker. Also a 3-speed but brakes & all levers gone & rattle canned top tube & parts of other tubes. What wasn't sprayed was rust. The chrome fenders & chainguard were in good shape. mens frame
I recently picked up a woman's Raleigh Sports dated 5 69 so no interest in the Sears, nice as it was. Would like to get a Men's 3-speed. Can anyone shed light on the Sport70. Given its condition It'll still bethere tomorrow.
& before someone asks, a digital camera will be acquired assoon as the car goes thru inspection so I insert photos.
Old 07-19-08, 05:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by BJK
Hey, what's the story on your bike? Very unusual frame. Most of us geeks want details: can you give us the scoop on what you know? (year, make, etc). Thanks!
It really is a jalopy...albeit a really fun one to ride. And I wanted to build a retro path racer.

Going by the date code the frame is a 1940 CCM which is what I started with... I suspect the second top bar was added due to the appearance of the welds. It probably was originally fitted with Westwood wheels and 28 inch tyres, would have had fenders and a chain guard, and been a pretty upright riding bike like my 1933 CCM Rambler.

I stripped and painted the frame (rattle canned) and it will eventually be going for a nicer powder coat.

From there I have fitted new wheels (I was running some '64 steel wheels and then some 27 inch alloy ones)... the front Shimano /Araya was salvaged from our co-op and I just built up the rear 27 inch wheel with a Perry coaster hub and 40 spoke Araya with some lovely Berg double butted spokes to replace the '64 CCM hub and wheel I built.

The fork came off a Norco road bike, the stem is an SR, the bars are flipped North Roads with cloth and shellac, the saddle is a reconditioned AGDA (but I have a nice Wrights for it).

The crank came from a 1964 CCM ladies bike as these have 46 teeth and not the 52 the men's bikes came with and it is what I happened to scrounge up.

The front brake is a salvaged Dia Comple with a used Universal side pull as the Perry hub is really a speed attenuator.

The new hub...

More pics...

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...postcount=2155
Old 07-21-08, 01:55 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my dream last night, I went past a dump, and saw some rusty bikes sitting there. Unfortunatly the dump was closed and I could not get in.
Old 07-21-08, 08:46 AM
freecycle
freed psycho. RUN.

Bikes: Ironhorse Maverick 2004, 1970's handbuilt Raleigh fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parts rescue! Alexrims AT400 with a sweet Shimano rear hub.

Missing skewer, but perfectly true, and spins fo'eva! It was placed in my hands as a gift as I was leaving the bike shop down my street, apparently they were going to throw it out!

I can assure you my jaw dropped and I literally pounced on the guy when those words came out of his mouth.
Old 07-22-08, 07:45 AM
TrekLemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saved this one from a house that caught on fire and they were clearing everything out after wards and the owner did not want it.
Its a Lemond
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lemond.jpg (11.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-22-08, 10:01 AM
FlatTop
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It really is a jalopy...albeit a really fun one to ride. And I wanted to build a retro path racer.
You are rapidly becoming the poster boy for the specialization and esoteric classification of bicycles

I'm enjoying the latest version of this particular bike.
Old 07-22-08, 10:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by FlatTop
You are rapidly becoming the poster boy for the specialization and esoteric classification of bicycles

I'm enjoying the latest version of this particular bike.
When I found this frame I knew I had to build a path bike and that it had to be red... it has turned out far nicer than I expected and as always... I get to learn many things through the building up process.

I think there are far better candidates to become poster boys... what I know about bikes is merely a few drops in a much larger bucket of knowledge.
Old 07-22-08, 03:56 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yay for pathracers one of my favourite species of bicycle
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 07-28-08, 02:21 AM
Kid_Carbine

Location: The beautiful Southern Highlands of N.S.W. Australia

Bikes: Carbine [5 of them, 1936 to '49] SJH track bikes [2 of them late 50's & early 60's] Morgan Custom tourer [1985] Olympic Road racer [c 1951] Malvern Star 5 Star, [1939 & '51] Unknown [c1910 to c1920] plus about 12 others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is an SJH & was a 'made to customers order' bike back in about 1951 as best we can tell.
SJH was a single bike shop in the City of Parramatta, which is adjacent to the City of Sydney in NSW Australia.

It had been in the SJH shop at the time of the death of the last owner of the shop in the mid 80's. He was in his 90's & still running the business on his own. He was also the man who custom made this frame & built up the bike.
The entire assets of the bike shop were willed to a close friend who also owned a bike shop in the same city, so it went into storage there untill only a few weeks ago & it was being readied for disposal when I discovered it.

It uses a Hobbs Lytaloy headset, Gnutti crankset, Reynolds handlebar, VEW Spearpoint stem [Velox Engineering Works], GB Hiduminium brakes, 'stainless steel' pedals, [no other markings] Brooks B17 saddle, a No.5 seatpin [this would be 27mm dia indicating a very high quality tubeset] & a Simplex suicide front derailleur
The DuraAce rear derailleur that had been fitted to the rear has now been replaced with the correct Italian made Simplex Tour de France, 'Tipe Competition' unit.

The mismatched 27" wheels are being replaced, even as I type, with correct wheels made up of Airlite Continental hubs & Fiamme 'singles' rims [Known to Americans as either Sew-ups or Tubulars]
I also have a correct Simplex 5 speed block [cluster/freewheel] to go on it as soon as the glue is dry on the tyres.
It has now been fully serviced & little else remains to be done except to replace the brake cables with the correct silver coloured outer [which I have] & to replace the late model toeclips with something much more suitable. That ghastly orange bar tape has been replaced with black cloth tape.
The bell is all alloy & works a treat while the tail light, which is correct for the period, has been removed for now.
This one is to become my regular ride & the photo shows it as it was when first found.

P.S. The letters SJH stood for Sydney John Hisden & the shop was first opened in 1929. I now own four of the seven currently known to have survived, but there must be more.

Last edited by Kid_Carbine; 07-28-08 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Additional information added.
Old 07-28-08, 04:24 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Oh, Very nice. Can you please post some more pictures now that you have cleaned it up.
Old 07-28-08, 05:32 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
Oh, Very nice. Can you please post some more pictures now that you have cleaned it up.
+1
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 07-28-08, 07:42 AM
Kid_Carbine

Location: The beautiful Southern Highlands of N.S.W. Australia

Bikes: Carbine [5 of them, 1936 to '49] SJH track bikes [2 of them late 50's & early 60's] Morgan Custom tourer [1985] Olympic Road racer [c 1951] Malvern Star 5 Star, [1939 & '51] Unknown [c1910 to c1920] plus about 12 others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grrrrr. Damned wheels.
While preparing to install some lovely classic wheels I discover that some fool has spread the rear of the frame to 130mm [it should be 120] so I will need to use the services of my friend the framebuilder to fix it properly.
The rear wheel is straight & true, but the spokes are not crossed [interwoven] & are in a 4X pattern which is not common for a high flange hub like this & finally, the rim has cracks at four spoke holes. I haven't looked at the front wheel yet.
Never mind, I have plenty of rims but had planned on riding it a bit before rebuilding wheels.
Old 07-29-08, 06:57 AM
TrekLemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found a 95 Novara Aspen MTB fully complete just needs a new chain. ill have to post some pics soon. Frame is a little small for me so its going to go on CL but hey its like finding money in the dumpster.
Old 07-29-08, 08:39 AM
cdyer77
Slow by default

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Again, not quite the pieces of work that this thread is known for but this is the after shot. I have the convertible bar on order which will add a nice touch. My son loves this thing for the neighborhood.

That is quite impressive before & after photos!
Old 07-29-08, 01:36 PM
Sunset_Va

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Bantam

I have the same bike in my garage, someday I am going to restore it. It was my sisters bike back in the 60's? and heavens knows how many miles I rode it...I didnt care if it was a girls bike or 20" , it sure was fun and such a nimble little bike.....

That is an excellent restoration....wish mine could turn out that well!
Old 07-29-08, 04:06 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
The coolest thing about this bike is that the only things new on it are the tires,tubes and chain. The rest was just hiding under a bunch of dust and dirt. I can't believe someone was throwing it out. I have to post a new picture of it. I installed the convertible bar on it and it has Stingray handlebars. It's cool to ride. It's funny this thing is about 10 lbs. heavier than my LeTour.
Old 08-01-08, 08:58 AM
jcsulser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was driving from the library the other day when i saw three mountain bikes in someones trash. i looked them over and decided against taking them but then my GF who was with me said "did you see the road bike a couple of houses back?" so i hurried back and found a 1982 centurion lemans 12 sitting in someones garbage. i picked it up removed the front wheel (QR!) and put it in the back of my car. when i got home i inspected it and i found out that the seat was broken and it had two flat tires. after replacing these parts i took it out for a ride and WOW it ran perfectly and both wheels are 95% true. i think someone must have had it tuned up and then never rode it until they threw it away. my first garbage find and its better than my regular bike (nishiki sebring).
Old 08-01-08, 09:27 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

One of our regulars came in the other day with a ladies Raleigh Superbe that had been left for the garbage man... it was in splendid condition.

Old 08-03-08, 04:35 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I have a '76 Motobecane here that is in need of some companionship, so if anyone finds a Motobecane mixte in need of a good home I'd be more than happy to volunteer my place.
Old 08-03-08, 08:49 PM
jungwiar

Bikes: Yes

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if this should be in the catch of the day or saved from the dump, but shown below are the two that I saved tonight. One is a 1957 (according to the S-A AW hub) ladies Philips and the other is a "matching" 1972 gents Triumph. Both are in excellent original condition outside of the cobwebs, dust and a little bit of rust...
Old 08-03-08, 09:37 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My daughter's newly rebuilt 1972 Raleigh Fireball... it was saved from the crusher on the same day I found my beloved 1962 Peugeot (3 years ago) and i just had to wait for her to grow into it.

Old 08-04-08, 09:15 AM
BJK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'72 Raleigh 'FIREBALL'!

What a great name for a kid's bike!
Wanted also to add how great it is that you folks with kids are resurrecting these unique rides that were destined for the trash.
Kudos to all of you for your 'labor of love' in giving these bikes a second life, giving your kids the joy of bicycling (not to mention a 'one-of-a-kind' machine that no other kid on the block has)!
Great work.
Old 08-04-08, 11:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

BJK - It certainly is a one if a kind and is the prettiest little bike... it suits the pretty little girl who now calls it her own and she too is a bit of a fireball.

This bike woujld have been originally equipped with a banana seat and been much like my CCM Mustang 3 speed I had when I was her age... she thought it was pretty cool her dad had the same kind of bike when he was a kid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.