Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Triumph road bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Triumph road bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 02:11 PM
AFIRONMAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Triumph road bike

Hey guys, I've been lurking around Bike Forums for quite a while, but this is my first post. I just dug this winter project out of the garage at my parents' house, it is my dad's old Triumph road bike. My brother intended to turn this into a fixed gear project a while ago, but I still have all of the components.

Basically, I am trying to find out the quality of what I have here (I assume nothing special). The bike has cottered cranks, Huret (Allvit?) FD/downtube shifters, Shimano Lark II RD and Weinman brakes.

I haven't had much experience with older bikes, so I was hoping that you guys might be able to give me some more insight (any idea when it was made or the quality of it?). Thanks.

Old 12-07-08, 02:58 PM
jjvw
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you have is the same as a 60's/70's Hercules. It was originally intended to be a 3-speed and was made by Raleigh after they bought up their competition in the late 50's/early 60's. It fell beneath the Sports in their model lineup.

It's heavy and nearly indestrucable. I still ride my '65 Hercules and love it.

I doubt that the extra parts are original to the frame, especially the Shimano derailer.

Last edited by jjvw; 12-07-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 07:09 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Technology-wise, it's nothing special. However, it's a rather uncommon bike. No, neither rare, nor valuable, but definitely uncommon.

When I worked for the Erie, PA Raleigh dealer in the early 70's we got something like fifteen of them in over the five year period I was employed there. It was an odd bike, not even listed in the Raleigh American catalogs. Normally came equipped with Huret Allvit derailleurs (which is why you've got a Shimano rear, the Allvit is my nomination for the worst derailleur made) and brakes off the Raleigh Sports three speeds . . . . . . . . although I kinda remember an occasional one coming through with Weinmann centerpulls.

This gave me the feeling that they were built up with whatever Raleigh had on the shelf at the time.

Keep the original components, and don't repaint the frame. Someday you'll want to sell it, and it'll be a lot more desirable as an original Triumph than as a homebuilt fixie. To a collector, anyway.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-07-08, 08:31 PM
AFIRONMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I hope to start rebuilding it soon, but I won't be painting the frame. I'll likely use as many of the original parts as I can, with the exception of tires, brake pads and cables.
Old 12-07-08, 08:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Hercules? Looks like a Raleigh-badged Triumph to me...?

-Kurt

Old 12-07-08, 08:43 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by AFIRONMAN
Thanks for the help guys. I hope to start rebuilding it soon, but I won't be painting the frame. I'll likely use as many of the original parts as I can, with the exception of tires, brake pads and cables.
Like you, I just got one of those, $20 off of a CL ad that said it was a Raleigh. Mine has the Huret/Allvit FD/RD combo, but it's got Sturmey-Archer hubs and rims. The brakes have an "R" on the levers, and the calipers have no markings whatsoever.I'm very tempted to single speed it, as every time I build one, I like it, and then someone makes a good offer. I'd like to ride it geared first, as I've got a spare Allvit RD and a couple others I can put on it. I think it will be a nice, smooth, solid old-school road bike.

Old 12-07-08, 08:59 PM
AFIRONMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Robbie, mine has Sturmey-Archer hubs and rims too. I started pulling the wheels apart today and I took a picture of the front hub. As I said before, I don't have much experience with C&V bikes, but here is a picture:

Old 12-08-08, 07:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Yep, same as mine. The bike is simple, but well-made. I've been told the Allvit RD is crap, but I'm taking mine apart, cleaning, lubing, and plan on using it. If it doesn't work, I'm sure there are plenty of others that will for next to nothing. If all else fails, it gets stripped to a single speed (not fixed) and becomes my knockaround bike. I dig the headbadge, and I'll get it cleaned up and useful.
Old 12-08-08, 12:18 PM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I've got one in my shop right now. It is all original except it has flat bars for commuting.
Old 12-08-08, 12:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I had a Dunelt version of the same thing from USAzorro. Other then a Shimano RD in place of the Alivit, the saddle, silly rat-trap pedals, and some cotton bar tape, I would assume this is exactly how they came stock. Essentially a 10-speed, drop-bar version of the Raleigh Sports with 27" wheels (or if you prefer, "a drop-bar version of the Raleigh Sprite 27"):

I MIGHT have put Shimano 500 centerpull brakes in place of the original Weinmann centerpulls, but I don't remember for sure.

-Kurt

Old 12-08-08, 10:51 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have the same basic machine as a BSA in blue, but with the stamped sidepulls off the sports.
Old 12-08-08, 10:52 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by redneckwes
I have the same basic machine as a BSA in blue, but with the stamped sidepulls off the sports.
Drop bars?

-Kurt

Old 12-08-08, 11:08 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, and Allviet Der's
Old 12-09-08, 01:12 AM
jungwiar

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is mine that I got at a garage sale this summer for $5. Mine came with the Huret drivetrain, stamped sidepull brakes, steel SA wheels and (the reason I bought it) a leather Wrights saddle. Here it is in its present condition...