Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mitts = wind breakers for fingers/hands?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 10:27 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I have done a couple rides this spring that I have been wishing I had some different gloves/mitts.

What I have now are some thinner cloth gloves that are actually pretty nice. They don't do a good job breaking wind, though. I have a pair of Hestra mitts (CZone's) that I like wearing when it is below freezing. They work great. However, they are overkill with warmer temps.

What I am after is a mitt that I can wear as a shell over top my cloth gloves or wear the mitt shell alone just as a wind breaker.

One of my riding buddies has a pair of gloves that have split off index fingers. That isn't what I'm looking for - I want all my fingers in the same pouch.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-15, 11:42 AM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Temps vary as to rider's circulation and tolerance for cold. For myself, in 25-55 F. temps I like the Gore Windstopper gloves. They do, well--stop the wind. I like them so much I have two weights, a lighter set for the top of this range and slightly heavier, more insulated set for the lower part of this range. But even the heavier set is not that well insulated and for colder temps I go with some lobster gloves (thumb and index fingers like a glove, rest light a mitten) and then to full mittens.

I ride mostly urban, so I don't really always get all my body heat going like a more performance-oriented rider without stop lights would, but when I do ride with more sustained effort, the Gore gloves don't seem to get a clammy as some others I've tried.

You can also go two layers. A wool or poly glove under a thicker "shell" glove.
Old 04-16-15, 12:33 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I use several types of different gloves in combination. As temperatures get cooler, I use light liner cloves. As weather gets cooler yet, I carry a pair of shell gloves that are windproof and are comfortable over the liners. The shells are from an old pair of ski gloves whose insulation packed out and were no longer warm while skiing. I cut the insulation out and the plain shells fit in a jersey pocket. I will usually carry them even if not used. As temperatures get near the freezing point, I use a pair of fleece gloves in combination with the shells. This system, as it has evolved, is very versatile over a wide range of temperature and is inexpensive.
Old 05-07-15, 01:40 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have used the shells from a waterproof/goretex pair of ski mitts with removable liners that work well. They are a nice lightweight thing to have in case the weather turns.
Old 05-11-15, 12:50 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Goretex glove shells work well. I also use wind proof fleece gloves. And some thin windproof xc ski gloves, All temp dependent.
Old 05-20-15, 10:31 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have some unlined lobster shells. I think they're Trek brand. Mittens are slightly warmer, but also a bit more hassle activating the brakes.
Old 05-22-15, 11:44 AM
davesupra

Bikes: '22 Trek Checkpoint SL5, '21 Salsa Spearfish/'13 9ZERO7 Fatty/'16 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
It gets really cold here, I prefer to use a pogie and then wear a light glove inside so you have good feel for the brake and shift levers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
509zero7.jpg (53.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-29-15, 01:22 PM
eusebio

Bikes: '85 Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For seven years I would switch between some basic black leather gloves and my holy grail depending on how wet they got: Military Sniper Gloves. I got them off the Army surplus store. They have two pieces.