Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you hand wash your bike shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you hand wash your bike shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 03:50 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
What? is that how it's done? man, for years I just ran around naked as I washed my clothes and wait for them to dry.
Skip the middle step. Ride naked.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-16-19, 03:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I wash bike clothes on gentle cycle then hang them to dry.
Old 05-17-19, 06:33 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Only if I shart. Otherwise, in the washer she goes! Thankfully I've only sharted once in my life.
Old 05-19-19, 09:08 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Go to any manufacturer's website and they can tell you the longevity, durability, wearability, care. etc. of their product. Three guesses on how they know that?
I just couldn't care less about longevity, durability, wearability. When my biking clothes wear out, I throw them away and buy a replacement. As a percentage of the total that I spend on my bicycling hobby, the amount that I spend biking shorts is miniscule. Certainly not enough to make it worthwhile for me to undergo the hassle of hand-washing that clothing.
Old 05-22-19, 01:10 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
I just couldn't care less about longevity, durability, wearability.
Really? So you'd be OK with shorts that were uncomfortable and wore out after during the first wearing?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-22-19, 02:42 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Dishwasher, top rack, China cycle.
Old 05-22-19, 07:30 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Dishwasher, top rack, China cycle.
Ok, so what soap do you put in the dishwasher to wash your kit with?
Old 05-22-19, 08:19 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Really? So you'd be OK with shorts that were uncomfortable and wore out after during the first wearing?
I couldn't care less about the hassle of hand washing them to try to extend their comfort, durability, or wearability. If I pull biking clothing out of my dresser drawer and find the item to be worn out or uncomfortable, I throw it out. I don't actually know how long that stuff lasts and don't actually care...seems to be doing OK. I can assure you however, if my wife told me that my biking clothing was wearing out too fast, my solution would NOT be to have her start hand washing it.
Old 05-23-19, 06:07 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Machine wash with all my other clothes, hang to dry. I retired a pair of Izumi bibs last summer, I think I got them in 2004.

Ive got a pair of wind front tights that are still fine and even older.

However long they last, I don’t think most of us would notice or care if we magically got another year out of them.
Old 05-23-19, 06:36 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Machine wash with all my other clothes, hang to dry. I retired a pair of Izumi bibs last summer, I think I got them in 2004.
That's fine if we're talking about paint. But that doesn't tell much of anything with a garment since we don't know how often you wash/wore them.

Ive got a pair of wind front tights that are still fine and even older.

However long they last, I don’t think most of us would notice or care if we magically got another year out of them.
Bike short provide more than just cushion, they also provide compression/supports. That most certainly deteriorate with wear and washing. High heat being the greatest of these.
Old 05-23-19, 07:12 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
That's fine if we're talking about paint. But that doesn't tell much of anything with a garment since we don't know how often you wash/wore them.

Bike short provide more than just cushion, they also provide compression/supports. That most certainly deteriorate with wear and washing. High heat being the greatest of these.
So durability claims are a legitimacy test of riders? I got them as wreck replacement when racing cat3. I raced/rode for a couple years and they were part of the rotation. I rode pedicabs full time after that for 3 years after. And I’ve done plenty of other riding since. Does that help?

Compression only matters if my balls are dangling or bouncing. Squeezing the quads is nice but not important to me.
Old 05-23-19, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
And whatever you do, don't get DEET on them.
Old 05-23-19, 10:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Yes, laundering clothes contributes to wear but only slightly compared to use. I’ve posted about this before. Each time you pedal, you rub your clothes against the saddle. You do this thousands of times per hour. That causes more wear in a single hour of riding than a decades of machine washing in old agitator machines. Modern front loaders are much more gentle to fabrics.

I’ve also addressed the heat of a dryer (multiple times in multiple threads). Lycra is fabric that has its stretch set by heating the fabric to about 200°C (which is almost 400°F). A home dryer won’t reach that temperature unless you risked setting it on fire. Lyra can actually benefit from heat in that it resets the stretch. Further, the origins of the fiber are from the modification of Dacron which made a fiber that could stretch and withstand high heat.

From my own personal experience, I’ve been machine washing and drying my bicycle clothes for more than 20 years...probably far longer. I’ve got a tone of bicycle clothes that are close to 20 years old that is still going strong. They have all been washed and dried in home driers and in commercial driers (while touring) hundreds of times. They aren’t going to explode tomorrow and I expect to get at least another decade out of most of them. The fabric doesn’t need to be treated with kid gloves.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-24-19, 10:13 AM
mac_flyer9

Bikes: 2002 Airborne Manhattan Project / 2019 Trek Domane SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Hand wash, no… Delicate wash cycle yes and then hang dry.
Old 05-24-19, 02:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve also addressed the heat of a dryer (multiple times in multiple threads). Lycra is fabric that has its stretch set by heating the fabric to about 200°C (which is almost 400°F). A home dryer won’t reach that temperature unless you risked setting it on fire. Lyra can actually benefit from heat in that it resets the stretch. Further, the origins of the fiber are from the modification of Dacron which made a fiber that could stretch and withstand high heat.
FWIW, additionally Castelli recommends (if memory is correct) to put their softshell water-repellent clothing in the dryer (after it has hung dried) for about 20 minutes to reset the water repellency (low heat).
Old 05-25-19, 05:50 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
New kit arrived today, see care instructions... Does not say "hand wash"
Old 05-26-19, 07:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Clothing makers always play it super safe. Heck, I have standard cotton logo/design tshirts and they all generally indicate to wash cold, tumble dry low. I've never done either of these things -- typically warm water and medium to high heat dryers.
Old 05-26-19, 10:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Clothing makers always play it super safe. Heck, I have standard cotton logo/design tshirts and they all generally indicate to wash cold, tumble dry low. I've never done either of these things -- typically warm water and medium to high heat dryers.
The point is to extend the life of the garment for as long as possible. After all wouldn't you want to get your monies worth? I can make a pair of socks last 6 months or 3 years from washing alone.

Bleach is a great method for making cloths white and bright, but it also significantly reduces the longevity of the fabric. For many synthetics, the high heat from dryers tends to be second.

Personally, I have instantly and completely destroyed more garments in the drying process than all other cleaning methods combined.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-26-19 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-26-19, 08:11 PM
LaurenPrior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES! washer destroys mine
Old 05-27-19, 05:27 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by LaurenPrior
YES! washer destroys mine
Get a new washer, I've owned Maytags, and now Samjunk (which by the way stay far far away from Samsung appliances, they're JUNK even the high end crap we have!) Anyway, none of those two brands, not even Samjunk destroys clothing of any sort.

The reason cold water is being recommended more often now is because modern detergents actually work best in cold water, this is an attempt to save energy of course, but also cold water won't fade colors as fast. Unless your washer has sanitizing mode the hottest water from a water heater WILL NOT kill any bacteria, another reason why cold water is being more and more recommended. The dryer on the other hand can kill bacteria but to much heat will destroy stretch bands in clothing over time, shrink some fabrics, lock in stains so they can never be removed, ruin chamois, ruin polyester fabrics, anyway a lot of stuff can get destroyed with too hot of a dryer. Best heat for modern clothing is low and let it run longer to dry. Better yet, follow the garment instructions.
Old 05-27-19, 08:56 AM
Spinay70

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Often, while I am wearing them.

Spinay70
Old 05-27-19, 09:47 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport