Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Two Pumps

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Tale of Two Pumps

Old 06-22-19, 12:27 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
A Tale of Two Pumps

I've been using the Topeak Road Morph G for many years, I actually have 3 of them. I've never had an issue with the pump, but based on the size and weight I thought I would try something different for my road bike. So I went with the Lezyne Sport Drive HP. Much smaller and lighter.
Then I got to thinking. Smaller and lighter is generally a good thing, but I wonder how the Lezyne would do with my 40mm gravel tires. Note: I am still rocking tubes.

The Road Morph G weighs 7.7 ounces (with a couple of wraps of duct tape around the barrel).
The Lezyne Sport Drive HP weighs 2.7 ounces.

So I did a little test and it took the Lezyne 2 minutes 15 seconds to get my gravel tire up to 40 PSI.
The Road Morph took 2 minutes flat.
The Lezyne got a little warm, but never changed in pumping effort.
The Road Morph didn't change temperature but got harder to pump from 30 to 40 PSI.

So, for being a third of a pound lighter and much smaller, I'm going to order a Lezyne for my gravel bike. I realize that both of these pumps are designed around higher pressure, lower volume road tires, but I still feel it was apples to apples. I'll be ordering the same high pressure pump rather than the high volume pump for my gravel bike because sometimes I ride this bike with skinny tires on the road, and the HP pump works fine for low pressure tires but the HV pump does not do as well with high pressure tires.

Two things to note, the Road Morph uses a chuck, where as the Lezyne screws onto the stem. So you have to be careful not to unscrew the stem when you unscrew the hose (I did that twice before I dug up a valve wrench).

Also, the Road Morph has a gauge in the hose. However, even wearing readers in a well lit room, I have never been able to read the numbers on the gauge, so this isn't a factor for me. I think Lezyne makes pumps with the gauge on the hose, but again, I don't care. It appears that the HV and HP pumps weigh the same, but I think the HV pump is a little fatter.

Oh, and the Lezyne comes with a side mount that fits under a water bottle cage. Don't know if the new Road Morphs come with a bracket, but they didn't when I bought them. They are not interchangeable, the Lezyne pump does not fit in the after market Road Morph brackets (too skinny).
Likes For scotton:
Old 06-22-19, 05:41 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I’ve been using the Lezyne pumps for many years now. I’ve even replaced all the o rings on my oldest with a rebuild kit. I have 4 and have no need to get something different.
Old 06-23-19, 02:59 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
With 40mm tires I would think that the Topeak Mountain Morph would perform better. Road Morph is high pressure while Mountain Morph is high volume. I have both Topeaks and a Lezene. One other consideration...When it's 90-95° I'd rather stand and push down like a floor pump (Topeka) than sit and pump with two hands (Lezene).
Old 06-23-19, 03:47 PM
theyseemerollin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love how my city has bike stations all over the place with tools, pumps, etc.....
Old 06-23-19, 04:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Try a Silca Tattico. It’ll make your Lezyne seem like a toy.
Old 06-23-19, 07:20 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Originally Posted by MAK
With 40mm tires I would think that the Topeak Mountain Morph would perform better. Road Morph is high pressure while Mountain Morph is high volume. I have both Topeaks and a Lezene. One other consideration...When it's 90-95° I'd rather stand and push down like a floor pump (Topeka) than sit and pump with two hands (Lezene).
I've tried the floor pump trick with the Morph, but the little tab isn't long enough to fit under my road cleat. Plus, I'm 6'4", so bending over that far is more painful than mildly crouching and using two hands. And while I'm sure that the Mountain Morph would inflate a larger tire faster, it's even heavier than the Road Morph and I wonder how it would do with high pressure road tires. The specs say it will inflate to 160 PSI, but the Road Morph struggles to get to 90 even though it also says it will inflate to 160 PSI.
Old 06-23-19, 07:28 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Originally Posted by Koyote
That looks like one of those windshield breaker/self defense things, which would be welcome on some rides. However, at twice the weight and almost three times the cost, I'll stick with the toy pump. Or if I'm really in the toy market, I could get the $120 Tattico Bluetooth pump.
Old 06-23-19, 08:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I've owned many pumps over the years. One of the best I ever had was the old Silca Impero frame pump with Campy head. It got lost in a move. I then bought a Zefal HP when they first came out. Equally good pump for a lot less money but alas it also got lost in a move.

I made a huge mistake and went to a high-end bike shop in Scottsdale when I used to live there. I picked up a Silca Pocket Impero. Uh oh....

The sales guy said, "Yeah, that was what I thought to. And, yeah it works as well as it looks and feels". "Does it pump to 100 lbs?", I asked. "Yep" was the reply, and he added, faster than you think too.

This is by far the best portable pump I have ever owned, period. It fits in a jersey pocket but I got a cheap flashlight holster at Home Depot to carry it in and I clip it to my baggy bike shorts.

Yes, it's expensive, but it works, really, really well and will last for years...and you can get spare parts for it just like the other Silca pumps. It will get a mountain bike to good pressure more quickly also, compared to other portable pumps I own.

It can also be used as a Billy Club.....

The way I look at it is this: I can buy cheaper pumps every 2 or 3 years and after a few years I will have spent more than if I got a really good pump to begin with...that will probably last 20 years or more. My Silca floor pump is going on 25 years old and isn't slowing down at all.

Last edited by drlogik; 06-23-19 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 02:11 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I keep a pump in my bike bag. Every few months it will get nicked. So i buy cheap ones that do the job. I rarely use them anyway.
Old 06-24-19, 06:01 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by scotton
That looks like one of those windshield breaker/self defense things, which would be welcome on some rides. However, at twice the weight and almost three times the cost, I'll stick with the toy pump. Or if I'm really in the toy market, I could get the $120 Tattico Bluetooth pump.
True, it's heavy and looks like a weapon. But it is also very well-made and has a clamp-on head -- so, no risk of unscrewing valve cores. I used to carry a Lezyne as a backup to the co2 system....But with the Tattico, I leave the co2 at home -- so the weight is a wash.
Old 06-28-19, 09:11 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Originally Posted by drlogik
My Silca floor pump is going on 25 years old and isn't slowing down at all.
Until the next time you move.
Old 06-28-19, 10:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’ve been using the Lezyne pumps for many years now. I’ve even replaced all the o rings on my oldest...
Dito - I'm a Lezyne fan. For some reason I don't lose all the air from the Lezyne at disconnect.

But what is really the best pump you can get...

Well its the Vintage SILCA frame pump of course.
Old 06-29-19, 12:07 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I had a Silca Tattico. The locking chuck broke as it was on the stem. That locking "finger" broke right off and I was stranded. That metal is very thin and weak. I replaced it with The Bike Tool pump. Best hand pump I've ever had.
Old 06-29-19, 05:48 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I had a Silca Tattico. The locking chuck broke as it was on the stem. That locking "finger" broke right off and I was stranded. That metal is very thin and weak. I replaced it with The Bike Tool pump. Best hand pump I've ever had.
Oh, yikes! I will be careful with that bit.
Old 06-29-19, 09:06 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Just for the record.... Here's the Tattico that left me stranded....
Old 07-01-19, 07:02 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Just for the record.... Here's the Tattico that left me stranded....
Yep, that will end your ride. Did you send it back to Silca? Though if that happened to me, I would not want it replaced; would just want my money back.

How many times had you used it when this happened? Coincidentally, I had to use mine this past weekend in the middle of a race, and was rather careful with that lever. Seems weird that they would under-build that lever when the rest of the pump is rather stout.
Old 07-01-19, 07:45 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Yep, that will end your ride. Did you send it back to Silca? Though if that happened to me, I would not want it replaced; would just want my money back.

How many times had you used it when this happened? Coincidentally, I had to use mine this past weekend in the middle of a race, and was rather careful with that lever. Seems weird that they would under-build that lever when the rest of the pump is rather stout.
I used that pump less than 6 times, I'm guessing. Only to top off air pressure and I think I blew up one new tube at home. When I flatted out on the road it was the first time I needed the pump. And it failed.

The pump is stout. I really liked the quality of the pump until this happened. And no, I didn't return it to BikeTiresDirect. I'm just that way on things that cost <50 dollars.