Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire clearance on 1985 Trek 770

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 09:48 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts

I’m experimenting with what tire size will fit on my Trek 770. I think it was probably sold with 23c tires. I just installed a Bontrager AW2 700 x 28c tire on the rear. I couldn’t fit the wheel by the chainstay bridge with the tire inflated. Once in place with the tire reinflated the clearance looks okay.

Is it common practice to have to install a wheel with the tire deflated? Am I pushing the limits by the clearance I have with the new tire? The tightest clearance is where the tire fits between the chainstay tubes. With the wheel perfectly centered there is about 3/16” clearance on each side.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-19, 10:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
As long as you don't pick up any road grit (pebbles, chip seal or glass as examples) larger then the clearances you have AND you don't allow the rim to get out of true too much there is no problem. Don't be surprised if you see scratches in the paint about the close clearance points in a while though.

As far as fitting the wheel with a soft tire- that's no issue unless you can't inflate a tire while it's mounted in the bike

A common dimension of clearances is with fenders at least 10mm between the tire and the fender. My newest bike has about 5-6mm of sideways clearances in the rear. But the top of the tire is only 2-3mm from the caliper's undersides. I hear/feel road bits running into the caliper often. I should have brazed the bridge a couple mm higher... Andy
Old 07-18-19, 10:30 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks. I mentioned in an earlier post that the little dropout axle insertion limiting screws were screwed way in. I think I can pull the wheel to the rear 3/8” if I back out those screws. I may play with that.
Likes For Sjtaylor:
Old 07-19-19, 06:56 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have to deflate to install 25mm tires on my two early Treks. I don't think I'd bother with trying 28 mm on either of them. 80 414 and 79 930.