Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Corsa G vs G+ ...?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-19-19, 11:32 AM
Stracknasty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I ordered what I thought were Vittoria Corsa G+ tires from Probikekit, when they arrived the logo on the actual tire wasn't the same. Just a "G." I can't find any info as to whether there is a Corsa G, or if it's the same tire as the G+. The first ride (about 60km) they felt pretty draggy and sluggish; the second ride (70km next day), with lower PSI (25 front @ 95PSI, 28 rear @85PSI vs both at 100PSI the day before) they felt much better. Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited by Stracknasty; 08-19-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-19-19, 12:53 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Here is a review of the G+. They added Graphene to the mix with some other things.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/review...a-g-plus-tyres
Old 08-19-19, 01:25 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, I know -- I ordered what I thought were the Corsa G+ tires. But the logo on the tires that arrived doesn't have the same as every other image I can find of them online, and I'm just wondering if I was sent the wrong tire (ie, a "Vittoria Corsa G 4C"). I'm just not sure if that's even a thing. Thanks, though.
Old 08-19-19, 01:25 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd upload a pic but I don't have enough forum posts to do so...yet.
Old 08-19-19, 01:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
So your tires don't have the small red "+" beside the G?
Old 08-19-19, 01:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This is interesting because figuring out what tires are what in Vittoria's lineup is sometimes a challenge.

My understanding is that there is the Corsa, Corsa G+ and the Corsa G+ 2.0. Both the G+ and G+ 2.0 are graphen tires.

The G+ should be logo'd as such...

The 2.0 version should say "Graphene 2.0" right on it....

I've never heard of just the G. Maybe Vittoria changed logo's in the middle of production or maybe the new Graphene 2.0 tires just have a G. I'm not sure.

-Tim-
Old 08-19-19, 01:43 PM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I appreciate the sleuthing. No, they don't. Once I get to 10 posts I'll upload a pic, haha. Cheers.
Old 08-20-19, 10:00 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I have both in Tubulars. Singles, Hill bike, Tandem. Yet to have a flat.
The 23's are G+, the 25 and 28 are G. They are heavier - obviously, but seem to be regardless.
Tires good for 145 PSI, rims good for 115 (I have blown sidewalls off).
I still don't get clinchers/tubeless (I listed a high end set for sale in the sales section if you get them).
Old 08-21-19, 07:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is interesting because figuring out what tires are what in Vittoria's lineup is sometimes a challenge.

My understanding is that there is the Corsa, Corsa G+ and the Corsa G+ 2.0. Both the G+ and G+ 2.0 are graphen tires.

The G+ should be logo'd as such...

The 2.0 version should say "Graphene 2.0" right on it....

I've never heard of just the G. Maybe Vittoria changed logo's in the middle of production or maybe the new Graphene 2.0 tires just have a G. I'm not sure.

-Tim-
Then again.. per product photo at PBK, they may have already changed the "GRAPHENE" lettering vs your photo

Old 08-21-19, 07:52 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I got the exact same tyres from Probikekit, the receipt I have says "G+", but the tyres only say "G" (with a little "TM" where the "+" appears in other images) on the sidewalls.

Now you've got me wondering if there's a difference! I don't care that much, I find they feel really fast, at least compared to the Michelin Lithion 2s I had on before, so anything would've been a huge improvement.
Old 08-21-19, 07:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Stracknasty
Hey, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I ordered what I thought were Vittoria Corsa G+ tires from Probikekit, when they arrived the logo on the actual tire wasn't the same. Just a "G." I can't find any info as to whether there is a Corsa G, or if it's the same tire as the G+. The first ride (about 60km) they felt pretty draggy and sluggish; the second ride (70km next day), with lower PSI (25 front @ 95PSI, 28 rear @85PSI vs both at 100PSI the day before) they felt much better. Just curious. Thanks.
Hmm.. you made me look. 2 months or so back I ordered a 2-pack, but from Merlin.

Didn't notice before.. but here's actual photo of what I got... Indeed, no + sign. Very odd, wonder if it's worth shooting this off to Vittoria themselves for comment?

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-21-19, 08:15 AM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the validation! Yes, those logos with the TM beside the G are on mine as well. I did email Vittoria a few days ago; yet to hear a reply. My tires from PBK didn’t come in a box, just wrapped in cellophane. But my digital receipt says G+.

I’ve put about 250km on them since last week and so far I’m pretty happy. They’re as fast as my GP4000s for sure.
Likes For Stracknasty:
Old 08-21-19, 08:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Thought maybe it was a thing with just the tan sidewall version.. but nope, came across the below photo at PBK. Also curious if anyone knows about the texture of the tan sidewalls showing in the photos I posted? No such thing appears in my Anthracite (gray) sidewall editions of the same tire, and I can't make out such in the below photo? Are the tan ('para') sidewall versions made with different material than the black/gray? If so.. which color does BRR test for sidewall puncture protection?

Old 08-21-19, 09:34 AM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mine are the black version, not tan. I think BRR tested the tan sidewalls?
Old 08-21-19, 09:39 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I bought Corsa G+ tires from Merlin a few months ago and they also don't have the +.
Old 08-21-19, 09:40 AM
Stracknasty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is a pic of my tire.
Likes For Stracknasty:
Old 10-10-19, 09:09 AM
Tigur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I found the answer

I also ordered from PBK size 28mm and got the G , after looking at the Vittoria Catalog online ( sorry I am new so they did not allow me to put a url)
but when you go on the site go under explore at the top and catalog, I checked all catalogs from the UK from 2017-2020
the G+ Is only on 2017-2018 on the 2019 it is just G and 2020 is the 2.0 , so looks like we got the 2019 version which is great!]
I am also not allowed to add an image sorry.
Likes For Tigur:
Old 10-10-19, 05:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Tigur
I also ordered from PBK size 28mm and got the G , after looking at the Vittoria Catalog online ( sorry I am new so they did not allow me to put a url)
but when you go on the site go under explore at the top and catalog, I checked all catalogs from the UK from 2017-2020
the G+ Is only on 2017-2018 on the 2019 it is just G and 2020 is the 2.0 , so looks like we got the 2019 version which is great!]
I am also not allowed to add an image sorry.
I never circled back on this, but Merlin basically said the same thing.. "newer versions" of the Corsa dropped the + sign. Maybe it means we unwittingly received as beta-testers, the 2.0 tires but they didn't tell us ;-)
Old 10-10-19, 06:31 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Old 10-10-19, 07:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Huh. I always assumed these were gravel tires.
Old 10-10-19, 08:04 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Huh. I always assumed these were gravel tires.
Corsa Control are the heavier version "winter" tire which is considered a more suitable gravel tire. I have the Control version that also has the G without the plus and noticed they were more sluggish on road compared to the race version.
Old 10-11-19, 06:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Corsa Control are the heavier version "winter" tire which is considered a more suitable gravel tire. I have the Control version that also has the G without the plus and noticed they were more sluggish on road compared to the race version.
It's interesting to note however, per BRR's website, for the 2.0 versions, the Control was weighed at 262 grams, the regular Corsa at 260 grams. At 80psi, the rolling resistance loss going to the Control was only 1.5 watts, and the puncture resistance scores are identical. Strange..

[edit] Reading a bit further, from what I gather, the only real difference now between the Control and Regular, is the width of the center tread (Control adds about 3mm width to this area) and the tread pattern itself with the control adding some diagonally angled tread inbetween the base straight-lines that the regular corsa has.

So while the BRR puncture resistance test shows the same score, in reality, the wider center tread area means a bit less likelihood of flatting in the more flat-prone sidewall area, which is relatively reduced in area for the Control.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 10-11-19 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-11-19, 10:58 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Comparison chart from Vittoria
You asked and we delivered! The Corsa Control tackles greasy cobbles and rough roads with all the confidence of the classic Corsa. Sharing the same 320 TPI Corespun-K reinforced casing, and technical 4C Graphene compound technology, the Corsa Control adds a textured shoulder tread to the mix. This chevron tread pattern adds dynamic performance to the Corsa Control tread, allowing for increased grip on slippery surfaces, as well as added durability.