Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor riding about to start

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 09-26-19, 04:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

58 degrees this morning. Windbreaker and tights were fine, however my knees were feeling it a few hours after the ride was over. The cool temps are having me think about setting up the rollers in the stereo room very soon. Not looking forward to it, but gotta do something!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 09-26-19, 06:03 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
58 degrees this morning. Windbreaker and tights were fine, however my knees were feeling it a few hours after the ride was over. The cool temps are having me think about setting up the rollers in the stereo room very soon. Not looking forward to it, but gotta do something!
Made it to 90°F today but got my 103 miles in before temps left the 80°F's. location, LOCAtion, LOCATION
Old 09-26-19, 06:44 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I was about to go outside when I saw that it was raining. I set the trainer up and did an hour on Zwift. It was a good workout but I'd still rather be outside. I need to renew my Sufferfest subscription, their workouts are just killer even if you don't like the music, the videos, or the motivational stories.
Old 09-26-19, 07:43 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I’m very curious about this since I just started riding a couple of months ago and I’m in NY.

I basically know zero about riding in the fall and winter, lol. How does it work? What temperatures/climate gets just too brutal for it to be worth going out?

Im 51, not in the worst or best shape, think I can deal with some elements being a north easterner.

But how what can I expect as far as being able to ride as the fall and winter approaches?
Old 09-26-19, 09:02 PM
zacster

I was riding outside the last few years down to around 40 or there was snow on the ground. Any colder, and even in the 40s and 50s, my hand starts to hurt due to some nerve issue. It usually passes once I really get going but it can really be painful until it does. You need to have layers so that you can shed them as you warm up. I live near Prospect Park and almost every ride goes through there and when I climb the small hill for the first time I warm up. Full fingered gloves, leg warmers, lightweight synthetic long sleeve undershirts, long sleeve jerseys, a windbreaker jacket are usually enough. Booties are mostly unnecessary unless it gets really cold or you have cold feet. I've only once or twice worn a hat under my helmet and it was always too much. I have multiples of each and I mix and match depending on the temps. When I was still commuting I would have to make sure I had enough for later in the day too and more than once I didn't. And if you wear street clothes just remember you'll get damp, and cotton just stays damp. Damp and cold is just not fun.
Old 09-27-19, 03:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
I’m very curious about this since I just started riding a couple of months ago and I’m in NY.

I basically know zero about riding in the fall and winter, lol. How does it work? What temperatures/climate gets just too brutal for it to be worth going out?

Im 51, not in the worst or best shape, think I can deal with some elements being a north easterner.

But how what can I expect as far as being able to ride as the fall and winter approaches?
I've cycled in temps down to -40C/F ... just a 6.7 km commute.

But I've done longer distances down to about -25C.

You've just got to dress for it and plan ahead.

That said, I'm not that fond of cycling in the cold and dark, so I'll ride inside on evenings after work.
Old 09-27-19, 07:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The idea that 58º is cold is mind boggling to me. I'd certainly rather be riding at 58º than at 98º. Lower temps mean more power output, lower HR, and lower water requirements.

Now if you said it was 28º or even 38º outside, then maybe we're getting somewhere.
Old 09-27-19, 07:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I really dislike riding indoors. I do it sometimes in the winter type months. However, 2017,18 I did it quite a bit. I was doing intervals 3 days a week, and longer 90 rpm type rides a couple of days a week. That spring when I started outdoors I was in the best biking shape I had been in quite awhile. I have tried music, reading, dvd's but intervals was the best way to break up the boredom.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-27-19, 08:02 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
My threshold for riding in colder temps is quite low. I promised myself that I would try and keep my riding fitness level up this winter and treat myself to a nice indoor trainer. My biggest problem is that I really don't like stationary riding. I belong to a gym that has regular spin classes along with an assortment of stationary bikes, but I usually start to sweat like a pig on them.
Old 09-27-19, 08:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
oh come on you guys, it's not bad yet!

throw on some long pants, sweatshirt & gloves
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-27-19, 11:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I promised myself that I would try and keep my riding fitness level up this winter and treat myself to a nice indoor trainer. My biggest problem is that I really don't like stationary riding.
You can't take it with you department:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/this-...n-arcade-game/
Old 09-27-19, 03:54 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
You can't take it with you department:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/this-...n-arcade-game/
Lol.

I am a little interested in this model but they will not be our for at least another month. I like the idea of a "wheel on" model and that I won't have to put on trainer tires and can keep my regular tires on it. As long as the reviews are generally good, I think this may end up being what I get.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/...ook-specs.html
Old 09-27-19, 07:52 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh come on you guys, it's not bad yet!

throw on some long pants, sweatshirt & gloves
That’s what I’m talkin’ about. I picked up a Trek Antelope and now prepping it for snow riding around town this winter. Sure beats the trainer. Best part, riding at night with the LED headlight beam burning through a blizzard, blues playing in the earbuds and not feeling a bit cold. Totally surreal.
Old 09-27-19, 07:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

If your knees were feeling it, were your tights too tight over the knees? You can develop knee issues that way.

14C is actually reasonably warm.
Likes For Machka:
Old 09-27-19, 08:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Lol.

I am a little interested in this model but they will not be our for at least another month. I like the idea of a "wheel on" model and that I won't have to put on trainer tires and can keep my regular tires on it. As long as the reviews are generally good, I think this may end up being what I get.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/...ook-specs.html
I looked into getting this shortly before stack was acquired. I really liked the idea of keeping the wheel on with no rubber contact. My wheel had a steel pin which meant I needed a new one. It then became cost prohibitive. I got a NOS Kicker for 200 less than this years model. I like the trainer, get to watch movies while I ride. I am looking to write some of my own software to drive the thing.
Old 09-27-19, 08:18 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Central Indiana is slowly heading towards temps that I will be comfortable in bicycling wearing running pants. But, that's not a bad thing.
I sometimes ride into the 30's but almost never if there is more than a bit of ice/snow.
Old 09-28-19, 05:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Best part, riding at night with the LED headlight beam burning through a blizzard, blues playing in the earbuds and not feeling a bit cold. Totally surreal.
that sounds great!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-01-19, 08:14 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
That's still shorts weather here! October is my favorite time of year to ride.
Old 10-01-19, 08:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Central Indiana is slowly heading towards temps that I will be comfortable in bicycling wearing running pants. But, that's not a bad thing.
I sometimes ride into the 30's but almost never if there is more than a bit of ice/snow.
Ditto, but will consider 20's provided no ice, snow or heavy wind. I know, I'm a bit of a snowflake.
Old 10-02-19, 06:10 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting out in the snow and ice.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 10-03-19, 11:25 AM
zacster

It was 92F in NYC yesterday. Never mind too cold to ride outdoors, it was too hot.
Old 10-03-19, 12:40 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
As a young rider the coldest I rode in was 2 below zero with -20 wind chill. Stopped winter riding a few years back. Knees cannot take it below 40 degrees. Anything below 55 and I wear insulated pants with a wind blocker front to protect the legs from wind chill.
Old 10-03-19, 01:25 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts

It is all relative.

I am now officially a weather wuss. I moved south from New England 15 years ago and now only cringe while watching the Weather Channel of the storms up North.

Now, 4 years ago when I was training for a huge century, I managed 37 degrees and still wore shorts. Snot city though and it was cold. You do need gloves and a jacket though.

Apart from that, I am now refusing to ride outside below 50. I still wear shorts though. Just rub some Atomic Balm on your legs and you will have plenty of heat.

Relative though. Cold down here is not the same cold as up in New England or NY. Much more cold and damp. Wetness will absolutely kill you in the colder temps. You will freeze. Then there is the wind. Nothing like a nice breeze when it is 80, but if it is 45 and breezy, you will freeze.

Hey, it can be done and there are plenty that brave the elements but I don't have to do that any longer and at 63, I have nothing to prove. Almost time to move indoors and return to spin class but today is like 95 here with not real relief in sight.

john
Old 10-04-19, 02:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

As a young rider the coldest I rode in was 2 below zero with -20 wind chill. Stopped winter riding a few years back. Knees cannot take it below 40 degrees. Anything below 55 and I wear insulated pants with a wind blocker front to protect the legs from wind chill.
What makes you think that your knees can't take it?
Old 10-04-19, 11:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts

Here in the PNW when it's below freezing, that always means ice patches. One of my mottoes is "one injury can spoil your whole season." So I don't ride when I might go down, meaning if it froze overnight, I don't ride until it's over 40 the next day. I don't think one gets points for courting injury. Above 40 is always fine, rain or shine. In fact 40 is my lower limit for riding in the rain. As long as it's not icy, i's just a matter of having the correct clothing for the conditions. See the Winter Cycling forum for clothing recommendations.

Fenders are a really good idea if it's wet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.