Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it me - or shifter or derailleur or cable or ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-15-19, 11:56 AM
oldbarntom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi -

Been riding bikes for almost 50 years now, first time posting.

I bought a 3x9 Marin touring bike a few years ago at a local shop. Has Shimano Acera "mega drive train" shifters and a Shimano Alivio rear. I don't put a huge amount of miles on this, so I was surprised when, soon after I bought it, I returned to the shop to have the shifters adjusted because the upshift/downshift action (I almost exclusively use the rear shifting) wasn't at all in step with the shifter clicks.
They adjusted and explained that the cable stretches a bit after new. Fair enough (although, having played guitar, I wonder why not pre-stretch the cable?). Anyway, not more than a couple hundred miles later I'm back for another adjustment. I think I've had it done at least 3 times so far, and I believe they even tried a new cable at one point. Riding the other day, it was missing shifts, then slamming up or down into the next gear (quite a bit of time after shifting) when I would pull away from a stop or while mildly accelerating. UGH! Seems like bush league stuff, to me.
Any clues to solving? Yes, I ease up on the pedaling when I shift.
Old 10-15-19, 12:52 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The bike shop is right that you may have to adjust the rear derailleur on a new bike after hundred miles or so but the cable does not stretch much after it is first broken in. I use a higher level Shimano Deore RD and I can go many months without needing to mess with the adjustment. Check to see that the cable has been securely attached to the rear derailleur. It should be tight enough to keep the cable from slipping when you put tension on it to change gears but not so tight you damage the cable. If the cable slips, it will upset the adjustment. That's the first place I would look. The second is a binding cable. Have you ever lubricated the cables on this bike? It could be binding on the housing and then releasing after you start out.

If you have been riding bikes for 50 years, it is time to learn the basics for adjusting the RD so you don't have to drag the bike to a bike shop and pay them to do the adjustment. It's the only adjustment you need to do to fix your problem. There are numerous tutorials online. Here are three taken at random from those available with Park Tool often being suggested by readers here:

Rear Derailleur Adjustment Park Tool Company https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

How to Adjust a Shimano Acera https://www.sportsrec.com/7720916/ho...-mountain-bike

How To: Adjust Shimano Rear Derailleurs

Last edited by VegasTriker; 10-15-19 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-15-19, 01:04 PM
oldbarntom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL - dunno, seems like having done anything for 50 years I should be able choose my luxuries. I might change a clutch on a car to save $120/hour but I'm going to give myself the grace to pay a bike shop the near minimum wage hourly rate they charge. I'm sure I could adjust the cable on my own (thanks for the links). I'm more wondering why it seems to go out of adjustment so quickly. I've had a couple other bikes with indexed shifters and I didn't experience this.
Likes For oldbarntom:
Old 10-15-19, 02:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbarntom
LOL - dunno, seems like having done anything for 50 years I should be able choose my luxuries. I might change a clutch on a car to save $120/hour but I'm going to give myself the grace to pay a bike shop the near minimum wage hourly rate they charge. I'm sure I could adjust the cable on my own (thanks for the links). I'm more wondering why it seems to go out of adjustment so quickly. I've had a couple other bikes with indexed shifters and I didn't experience this.
The bike shops where I am charge around $40.00 CDN per hour. and round up to the hour.

Check your cable adjusters and make sure the locknuts are engaged. Also check the spring under the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur to makes sure it's not overly weak.

Cheers
Old 10-15-19, 02:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
It's not that the cables stretches, it's that the housing compresses and seats into the housing stops.

It could be the housing wasn't cut perpendicularly, so there is slop where the housing meets the housing stops. Or the housing wasn't fully seated in the ferrules, or something like that.

At the second time the system needed adjustment the bike shop should have been troubleshooting the housing.

The other potential trouble spot is the derailleur hanger - if it's not aligned you'll have bad shifting. The bike shop should have looked at that too on the second analysis of shifting problems.

Last edited by tyrion; 10-15-19 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 10-15-19, 02:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
last year I changed my rear derailer cable & adjusted it just fine

but recently, when it came to my front cable's replace/adjust, I took it in to my LBS. only cost $28. but his adjustment was waaaay off! I was going thru the motions of adjusting it myself, but then noticed another issue, I want a pro's opinion on. my guy is good at some stuff but I know another shop that is downright masterful, so I'm bringing it there

if I were you, I'd try that guy again since you've ridden it a bit
Old 10-15-19, 03:13 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
The other potential trouble spot is the derailleur hanger - if it's not aligned you'll have bad shifting. The bike shop should have looked at that too on the second analysis of shifting problems.
Seconded. You may be able to sight along the gears and chain from the rear of the bike to see if the bottom of the derailleur cage is in line with the chain as it comes from the chainring. Usually this is accompanied by sloppy shifting overall. Minor alignment issues are harder to pinpoint visually, though there is a
for that.
Old 10-15-19, 03:36 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Friction shifting will fix the problem permanently. Set it up and no adjustments needed for years to come.
Old 10-15-19, 03:38 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Friction shifting will fix the problem permanently. Set it up and no adjustments needed for years to come.
Even with an out of alignment hanger?
Old 10-15-19, 05:29 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Have you taken it to different shops, with the same result? Maybe a different shop might get it right?
Old 10-16-19, 12:41 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Even with an out of alignment hanger?
Usually.
Old 10-16-19, 12:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
It's not that the cables stretches, it's that the housing compresses and seats into the housing stops.

It could be the housing wasn't cut perpendicularly, so there is slop where the housing meets the housing stops. Or the housing wasn't fully seated in the ferrules, or something like that.

At the second time the system needed adjustment the bike shop should have been troubleshooting the housing.

This ^^^^
Old 10-16-19, 12:47 PM
oldbarntom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could try a different shop. The first couple times were free, since I had purchased the bike there.
I guess I could go back to friction shifters, too. Not sure that is a satisfying solution, though.
Old 10-16-19, 02:55 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Something is wrong... you already know that, that's why you posted. A brand new bike should not go out of adjustment regularly.

The smart people on this form will lead you in the right direction, but don't think you should accept this as acceptable.

I messed around with my rear derailleur quite a few times and eventually got it right.

A bent hanger is a bad thing, and not easy to see.
Old 10-16-19, 03:25 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
All it takes to bend a derailier hanger is to laythe bike down on its drive side. Or in my case I tend to bump it againt my other bikes in the shed (or the shed door).