Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cover your knees?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cover your knees?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 08:14 AM
Guinness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cover your knees?

I was advised at the LBS to "cover your knees @ 65 degrees." Is this an attempt to sell knickers and leg warmers or solid words of wisdom? He went on to say that some racers won't go under 70 degrees without covering the knees because there is no meat to shield you from the cold wind. I suppose this would accelerate possible injuries? The reason I ask the forum is because I would imagine that once you got warmed up this would not matter....but what do I know.
Old 10-07-05, 08:27 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is to save your knees. I have read that in several cycling books, including one on sports medicine. I do because it is more comfortable anyway. Knee warmers early and late in the warm season, and full bibs over shorts in the winter.
Old 10-07-05, 08:29 AM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. There's no meat to shield on your knees, but there's not really anything else there either (just bone and tendons and stuff)

2. I would think that the circling pedal action would keep the knees pretty warm.

3. I have never ever seen anyone wearing anything like that.

It sounds like someone's putting out false or misleading information to try and make a buck.

edit: leg warmers just look like pants, i was thinking of something else....
Old 10-07-05, 08:33 AM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Bikes: '06 CAAD8, SRAM Rival/Force and fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Bikesportmichigan:

"Not covering your legs.
It's the first sunny day of the season. 60 degrees feels like 80 and the wind is still. You head out on the bike for your first outdoor ride of the season and decide to catch a few rays also. You wear shorts. Huge mistake.

When I lived at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs we were not allowed to ride outside under 70 degrees with bare legs. It was mandatory to wear tights, leg warmers or knee warmers. We also used "hot cream" on our legs- an analgesic or warming lotion that improves circulation and keeps joints warm.

Riding under 70 degrees with bare legs predisposes you to a variety of problems including patellar tendonitis, Achilles tendonitis, problems with other connective tissues (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL) and increased muscle soreness. You must keep your knees warm.

To understand why, place the open palm of your hand over your quadriceps muscle and leave it there for a moment. Notice it feels slightly warm- your muscles and body in general are warm. Now place your palm over your bony kneecap. Notice it is substantially cooler to the touch. There is minimal muscle tissue with its attendant warm blood supply over the patellar (kneecap) region. Your knee area is cooler than the surrounding area. On the bike there is a constant flow of cold air (even at 65 degrees Fahrenheit) surrounding the knee. This causes tendons (particularly the vulnerable patellar tendon surrounding the knee cap) to become stiff and prone to injury.

To avoid this keep your knees covered. When I moved to Europe to race bicycles for a Belgian team after leaving the Olympic Training Center the Belgian Director Sportif (Team Director) was even more strict. He told us we must never wear short pants off the bike, to always keep our legs covered off the bike. He told us, "You must protect your legs, they are your tools."

You may see European professional racers doing Spring Classic races such as Het Volk, Ghent-Wevelgem, Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix with shorts on despite freezing, damp conditions. Why aren't their legs covered? They are, you just can't see it. Thick layers of hot cream covered by a protective film that dries to a hard layer. Several manufacturers sell a "weatherguard" balm that covers the legs and is layered over hot cream. This keeps the legs warm and free from wind while allowing freedom of movement. Using hot cream and weatherguard is an acceptable alternative during cold races, but not for training.

Bottom line: Below 70 degrees keep your legs covered. Wear tights, leg warmers or knee warmers. Use hot cream. Protect your knees.

On early season rides when it is cold in the morning but the day heats up wear knee or leg warmers and remove them as the temperature climbs over 70- that's what those pockets on the back of your jersey are for."
Old 10-07-05, 08:34 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the ligaments and patellar tendon don't receive a whole lot of blood flow to begin with, and have very little body fat over them to keep them warm. 65 degrees may be a bit pessimistic, but if its in mid 50's I cover mine.

If you are simply out spinning or doing LSD, it may not be an issue, but the cold does make them feel tight and constricted. And if you are putting out race level wattage from warmed up quads and glutes through a cold, tight, constricted knee joint, the chance for injury especially tendonitis is higher.

If your moving along at 20mph plus, your knees will never get warmed up, and its even worse in the wet.
Old 10-07-05, 08:34 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toThinkistoBe
1. There's no meat to shield on your knees, but there's not really anything else there either (just bone and tendons and stuff)

2. I would think that the circling pedal action would keep the knees pretty warm.

It sounds like someone's putting out false or misleading information to try and make a buck.

You are joking, right?
Old 10-07-05, 08:35 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Well I don't know about 65* but I would believe below 55*-60*. I went out last sat for a metric and the starting temp was like 50*. I had on bib shorts, base layer, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, and a vest. My legs were COLD and they felt like they didn't warm up until after the rest stop I took at mile 20 (I took off the vest at this point as it was warming up but I didn't take off the arm warmers until mile 40). Because of this I just ordered some knee warmers which I think will be a very good purchase. I have tights and leg warmers for cooler temps as well but the high that day was to be 75* so I didn't want to go there as I knew I would be boiling at the end of the ride.
Old 10-07-05, 08:35 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually put on leg warmers at temps below 50. Knee warmers would probably be just as good. It's more comfortable for me.
Old 10-07-05, 08:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes, you ARE supposed to cover your knees when the temps drop below about 65 degrees. You knees are joints with lubrication (bursas) and everything to keep them running smoothly ... and they run better when they are kept warm.

BUT whatever you choose to get to cover your knees, be sure it is loose over the knees. If it is too tight, you risk developing patella-femoral syndrome.

You could go with leg warmers, knee warmers, tights, or even a pair of sweats. I've used all of the above, and sometimes even a combination of it all.
Old 10-07-05, 08:36 AM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65 is a bit warm for leg covering. i dont start covering until the temp drops below 60 for the whole ride.
Old 10-07-05, 08:37 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Guinness
I was advised at the LBS to "cover your knees @ 65 degrees." Is this an attempt to sell knickers and leg warmers or solid words of wisdom? He went on to say that some racers won't go under 70 degrees without covering the knees because there is no meat to shield you from the cold wind. I suppose this would accelerate possible injuries? The reason I ask the forum is because I would imagine that once you got warmed up this would not matter....but what do I know.
Yup, I've also read about the 65 degree rule. When you tack on wind-chill from the speed of the bike, the number drops more. I generally strap on knee warmers (I have a pair from Pearl) @ around 60 degrees in an attempt to save my knees from tendonitis.

Try this on your next sub 60-degree ride. At mid-ride, reach down, and feel the front of your knees. Mine were always cold to the touch before using knee warmers. It’s better to be safe than sorry - @ least that’s my attitude.
Old 10-07-05, 08:38 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmason
You are joking, right?

yeah, and how does one become a senior member with 63 posts?
Old 10-07-05, 08:42 AM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmason
You are joking, right?
lol. just completely wrong
Old 10-07-05, 08:44 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years ago I was complaining to my father (who is also a cyclist) of my dodgy knee getting worse as the weather got colder. He said 'Put leg warmers on'. I did. The pain stopped just like that.
Old 10-07-05, 09:11 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A pro told me herself: 60 and below, Cover 'em up. Your LBS is NOT giving you some line to sell accessories.
Old 10-07-05, 09:28 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
A pro told me herself: 60 and below, Cover 'em up. Your LBS is NOT giving you some line to sell accessories.
That's what I've always heard. I thought I had invented that number myself in college but I've heard it a lot since then. YMMV in that I guess for some it's a higher or lower temp, perhaps depending on how hairy your legs are?

I've never had knee warmers or knickers. Leg warmers for me.
Old 10-07-05, 11:39 AM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe.

I did a century about a month ago. It was chilly when I started - around 50 degrees. I had on a light jacket, but just bib shorts. At about the 35 mile mark I started having problems with my left knee. I *think* it was ITBS (ilio tubial band syndrome) caused, or maybe just helped along by the cold. ITB is fascia tissue that extends from the hip to the knee, and when it gets tight, it rubs one of the bones in the knee that it passes over. I finished the century (tahnks to some Advil) in pretty good form, but in addition to stretching more, I'm going to heed that rule (although maybe at a lower temperature).
Old 10-07-05, 11:48 AM
russdaz
Extreme nutter

Bikes: Scott AFD expert, with some carbon upgrades.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many of you guys use heat balms?

Personal i hate tights, i got a pair which a chopped off legs to help keep the groin area. But i use a heat balm which is effective from 0-15 deg C.never had any problems. The only problem is after the ride as its water proof, you need to use another cream to remove else when you bath shower after, it stings like hell lol.
Old 10-07-05, 12:03 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by russdaz
How many of you guys use heat balms?

Personal i hate tights, i got a pair which a chopped off legs to help keep the groin area. But i use a heat balm which is effective from 0-15 deg C.never had any problems. The only problem is after the ride as its water proof, you need to use another cream to remove else when you bath shower after, it stings like hell lol.
Speaking of heat balms ... what are people recommending as far as brand? I just placed a order with Performance and noticed they don't offer any heat balms/creams ... but seem to carry other hard to find items (i.e. BodyGlide ... which I use on occasion too).
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 10-07-05, 12:07 PM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a weenie. 65F is when the warmers come out. I've known enough people with messed-up knees to want to take care of mine.
Old 10-07-05, 12:15 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toThinkistoBe

Indeed, you're mistaken. Warm knees are happy knees. If you haven't seen anyone riding with leg or knee warmers, the question begs to be asked; where do you ride? Best to ask around like the OP before condemning something that isn't understood.
Old 10-07-05, 12:19 PM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExMachina
I'm a weenie. 65F is when the warmers come out. I've known enough people with messed-up knees to want to take care of mine.
Same here.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 10-07-05, 12:31 PM
russdaz
Extreme nutter

Bikes: Scott AFD expert, with some carbon upgrades.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcycl
Speaking of heat balms ... what are people recommending as far as brand? I just placed a order with Performance and noticed they don't offer any heat balms/creams ... but seem to carry other hard to find items (i.e. BodyGlide ... which I use on occasion too).
i use this the red stuff from sportsbalm

website https://www.sportsbalm.com/eng/index2.html check there products out. Has a list off suppliers in the different countries too.
Old 10-07-05, 12:33 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a believer. I read the same this spring so I bought a pair. I definitely could tell the difference, especially the next day. My knees were not nearly as stiff.

If you are in your early 20's you may not notice the difference. But as you pass 30 and beyond, you too will believe.
Old 10-07-05, 12:34 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcycl
65 degrees and below I have used knee warmers, leg warmers and tights. Early/late in the season I just leave the warmers on during the ride even if the temps rise to above 70 degrees.

Regardless of warmers and regardless of temperatures, I always use some sort of balm.

During rainy cold/cool weather I don't like to use warmers so I use an aggressive heat balm then bathe the leg in vaseline. This seals the balm and leg from the elements. After the ride, I take a rag and pour rubbing alcohol over it and clean off my legs. Then I remove my shorts and hit the showers.

For balms, I have used products from Born and SportsBalm. SportsBalm has product for different temperature ranges. Born has similar range of balms.

I have also used the muscle rubs/pain creams and gels you can buy in your local drugstore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.