Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Small pump?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Small pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 08:44 AM
AntEater

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small pump?

I'm looking for a small mini pump to keep in a bag for my commutes - the smaller the better. I run 26" city tires so I don't need more than 60psi and a schrader valve. Right now I have a somewhat old "frame mount" pump that is about 9" long. I can't stand the CO2 inflaters. Does anyone know of any exceptionally small pump models?
Old 08-12-08, 08:50 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
say it with me..Topeak Road Morph. even if you don't need the high psi, it'll be a breeze getting to 60.

edit: right now, i'm actually using a 'Wrench Force' pump i picked up at the LBS for $10 on clearance... a buddy has my road morph.

Last edited by nahh; 08-12-08 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-12-08, 08:54 AM
HuffyMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Morph is the defacto standard and you're going to get several replies to that effect but since size is an issue, you may want to look at Crank Brothers. I seem to recall that they had a very small pump of decent quality.
Old 08-12-08, 09:45 AM
ECDkeys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HuffyMan
Road Morph is the defacto standard and you're going to get several replies to that effect but since size is an issue, you may want to look at Crank Brothers. I seem to recall that they had a very small pump of decent quality.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Topeak make something called a Mini Morph? Still, I'd say go with the Road Morph. You can fit that thing in most any bag.
Old 08-12-08, 09:48 AM
JustBrowsing
Señor Miembro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECDkeys
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Topeak make something called a Mini Morph? Still, I'd say go with the Road Morph. You can fit that thing in most any bag.
They do. I have one. It's pretty small. I have mine mounted on the seat tube with plenty of room to spare. I still have never used it though.
Old 08-12-08, 09:51 AM
thebeard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 800 Singletrack (single speed for singletrack and chores), 2007 Giant TranSend DX, 1973 Schwinn Varsity ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I get a Road Morph or a Mini? I really want a pump that fits in my trunk, and the Mini will, but the morph won't.

They're about the same price where I'm going to buy them.
Old 08-12-08, 09:54 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HuffyMan
Please don't buy a Crank Brothers pump... The deficiencies of the pump won't be as evident on lower pressure tires, but it's still inferior to other brands on the market, at what's likely a higher price.
Old 08-12-08, 10:23 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for changing subject... but how are 'Wrench Force' brand pumps?
Old 08-12-08, 10:53 AM
jungwiar

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Wrench Force frame pump at a bike swap last winter and it has worked pretty good. No real complaints with it...
Old 08-12-08, 11:16 AM
katm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of the Crank Brothers pumps, and it's great. It's soooo small, it fits in an under-seat bag. It lets you switch between high volume/high pressure which takes the edge off the smallness to some extent. It's certainly not the fastest pump, but I've used it on the road and it does the job. I'd say if your main priority is small, go with the crank brothers.
Old 08-12-08, 12:26 PM
ECDkeys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nahh
Sorry for changing subject... but how are 'Wrench Force' brand pumps?
I also have a Wrench Force, and it's no better or worse than other portable pumps of similar design. In other words, expect to expend a lot of energy getting your tires pumped up to adequate pressure.
Old 08-12-08, 01:52 PM
HuffyMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Please don't buy a Crank Brothers pump... The deficiencies of the pump won't be as evident on lower pressure tires, but it's still inferior to other brands on the market, at what's likely a higher price.
Oddly enough I decided to go with the Road Morph several years ago and have never looked back. Although it does not fit in any of my baggage it's not an issue since my Roadmorph came with a nice bracket that bolts under a bottle cage.
Perhaps what I should have said originally was MAKE room for the 'morph.
Old 08-12-08, 02:16 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Topeak Micro rocket fits inside my bike frame (inside seatpost). The aluminum version is $20 on Amazon now.

Old 08-12-08, 07:38 PM
skylla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Mini Morph is an excellent pump. I used mine this evening, actually (a blowout, for which I finally got to use the dollar bill tire boot trick. exciting!). I haven't checked the pressure, but the tire didn't look more squashed than normal after I pumped it up, so I think I must have gotten at least 100psi.

Of course, for 60psi you're talking bigger tires, so the mini will take more strokes than the full sized. But I've used it on my 26x1.6 tires as well and haven't been overly annoyed. I've also cut my valve stem against the rim before using a traditional, no-hose mini-pump, so I'll never go back to a non-Morph-style pump.
Old 08-12-08, 07:42 PM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Topeak Micro rocket fits inside my bike frame (inside seatpost). The aluminum version is $20 on Amazon now.

DAAAA-AAAM that's one little pump (I opt for CO2 on bikes with a regular pump on roadie, in addition) - you use it - it works???? I mean I run into issues (and believe me - I am not at all a wimp) with my hydraulic pump for my full suspensions - (hand held) about getting my pump up to 140 and above ...

<re-edit>

ahhh - yer running a 26" mtb tire as a commute and doing lower psi air ...

Still - I'd opt for CO2 unless I was on a long offroad trip and only meeing up with SAG every few days or so...

Last edited by Tude; 08-12-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 10:29 PM
M. Rhoten
n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mini-Morph doesn't have a built-in gauge, but other than that, it's great.
Old 08-12-08, 11:03 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
...you use it - it works????
Yes, on 23c road tires, but it's only backup for the co2 chuck I carry as primary. Could take a while for mtb tires though -- haven't tried w/ those.
Old 08-12-08, 11:47 PM
Andy_K 

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've got a Topeak Pocket Rocket that I got because the Road Morph wouldn't fit neatly in my rack trunk. The Pocket Rocket fits in my Nashbar frame bag, which is a bonus. I used it the other day when I got a flat 15 miles into a 60 mile ride. I didn't put a lot of effort into it, and I was over 70 psi when I finished the ride.
Old 08-13-08, 08:02 AM
3bikes
VeloFellow

Bikes: Commuter(Specialized Globe 6,IG8), Mountain (Specialized FSR), Road (Felt F55-2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My smallest (and good quality) pump is the Topeak Micro Rocket.....
https://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps/MicroRocketCB

Make sure you get the correct valve type. Mine is for Presta valves and is made of Carbon Fiber. Smallest damn pump I've seen and yet it worked great on a recent road bike ride. Our group had a few flats, one guy was having trouble with his mini pump (forgot the brand) and asked to use mine... now he wants one.

My commuter pump is a Specialized that can switch from Presta to Schrader valves and happens to mount nicely on my Axiom trunk bag.
Old 08-13-08, 09:20 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by katm
I have one of the Crank Brothers pumps, and it's great.
I purchased my Mountain Morph the day after trying to pump up a friend's tire with my Crank Bros. Sorry,but those things are crap. You have to hold the pump directly onto the valve,and the handle is straight so you can only put so much oomph into it. It was a huge pain to use. The Morphs have a hose that attaches to the valve,and a foot lever and T handle to make pumping easy.

FYI,I just measured my Mini Morph. Just shy of 10.5"

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-13-08, 03:14 PM
CritEastwood
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank Brothers
Old 08-15-08, 01:33 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I"ve got a Topeak Mini Blaster G. I paid Road Morph price form the LBS because I was in a bind or I would have gone online. Anywho... thing has a gauge and has double pump action which mean you pump air on both strokes. Gets up to 60 psi easily, but after that, I pretty much have to get my body behind the thing since my puny arms and no arm strength do no good. But I can get up to 110 and start huffing and puffing up to 120. My buddy needed it today on our commute and he got up to 80 psi before he needed to put a little more effort into it. Neither of us had issues with the seal or damage to the valve stem. I've read the gauge isn't the most accurate, but who cares. As long as I can get above 90 psi, I'm happy.

Even though I"ve got prestas on the road bike, I carry presta/schrader adapters and a little schrader extender hose just in case. On the mountain bike, my old POS x-mart pump could maybe get to 20 psi before it was done and getting hot.
Old 08-15-08, 03:07 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Road Morph Pump - Good and Bad. Good: I can tuck it under the downtube on my touring bike using the fuel bottle braze-ons. Bad: With my size and strength I broke the little plastic widget you stand on by the time had it for two months. Good:I can clamp the pump between my feet to hold it down but it looks silly, Good: pressure gage. Good?: changes between Presta and Schrader. Bad: After converting to Schrader to help a homeless guy and going back to Presta the cover that holds the guts in place worked loose and dropped off somewhere. Good: Topeak sent me a set of replacements parts for free. Bad: The replacement cover dropped off a month later even though I had screwed it as tight as I could. Good: If I get the nerve up to ask for another cover Loctite should be compatible with the pump.
Old 08-29-09, 12:08 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
Crank Brothers

Hey I bought one of these...it's darn small! Cool little pump...
Old 08-29-09, 09:43 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In addition to the Morph pumps mentioned by several others, another one I've been using recently is Lezyne - their pumps are nice, even the small ones. They have a short hose that hides inside the handle, and when you need it you pull it out and screw it onto the pump end. Stay clear of Crank Bros. While I think they make some of the best pedals and multi-tools, their pumps are awful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.