Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 05-22-16, 05:58 PM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Took a ride around Lancaster and Sterling today (Ice Cream may have been involved) , with a stop at Dexter Drumlin Reservation... Love this spot

https://www.youtube/watch?v=WZS3ZfZH-98

Last edited by Bicycle365; 05-22-16 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 06:50 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by dmort
Hey rod, thanks for all that info. I'm going to sebd it off to my bro and see what he makes of it. He rides sub ten mile rides partly because he has 6 month old twins and partly because I think he's not sure where to go from east Boston. I was hoping to push us out to around 25ish miles - partly because I ant to ride for more than 45-60 minutes and partly because I want to help him get a moderate and reasonable reprieve from parenting. My guys are 3.5 and 5 now so longer rides are more possible for me than for him. I really appreciate the insights.
Sounds like a ride to Marblehead might be the ticket, using the inland route through Revere, Malden, Lynn, and Swampscott to get there. It's a nice destination, and will give you a ride in the range you're looking for. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

rod
Old 05-22-16, 10:21 PM
TransitGeek

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Jamis Aurora Elite, Specialized Globe since 2007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first S24O camping trip of this year. Rode down to Wompatuck State Park from my house in Jamaica Plain (about 25 miles, through Mattapan, Milton, Quincy, Weymouth and Hingham). After a night and a nice bowl of oatmeal, I did about 20 miles of riding in the park, then rode out to Scituate. Really nice out there.
Old 05-23-16, 07:13 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by TransitGeek
I did my first S24O camping trip of this year. Rode down to Wompatuck State Park from my house in Jamaica Plain (about 25 miles, through Mattapan, Milton, Quincy, Weymouth and Hingham). After a night and a nice bowl of oatmeal, I did about 20 miles of riding in the park, then rode out to Scituate. Really nice out there.
Sounds wonderful, and great weather for it. Could you say a little more about your route?

rod
Old 05-23-16, 07:15 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Bicycle365
Took a ride around Lancaster and Sterling today (Ice Cream may have been involved) , with a stop at Dexter Drumlin Reservation... Love this spot

https://www.youtube/watch?v=WZS3ZfZH-98
That's beautiful country. Greetings from another LHT rider.

rod
Old 05-23-16, 09:18 AM
TransitGeek

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Jamis Aurora Elite, Specialized Globe since 2007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Sounds wonderful, and great weather for it. Could you say a little more about your route?

rod
This is the ride from near Franklin Park to Wompatuck.
https://goo.gl/maps/iygEUDY2WQp

Here's the Scituate part, after a day of riding at Wompatuck.
https://goo.gl/maps/ZW4f6toXxhA2
Old 05-23-16, 06:57 PM
rholland1951

Took the Rawland out for a spin before dinner, 10 miles in the mild air, another pleasant evening on the Minuteman.

rod
Old 05-24-16, 04:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I'm visiting my brother in East Boston over memorial day weekend (I live in NYC, the bronx). Can anyone suggest a decent ride starting in East Boston? From looking at the map it seems like it makes sense to head north up towards Salem or Marblehead but I don't know those roads. What is 107 like? What about 1a? I'm a fairly experienced road rider and my bro is new to road cycling but he's pretty fit.

Depends on how long a ride you want, and under what conditions. There is a good, relatively short, relatively local ride to be had out to Deer Island, with a side excursion up to Revere Beach… Revere Beach is the oldest public beach in the US, and has a certain charm.

If you want to get up to the North Shore, there's water in the way. The highway engineers and city planners haven't made things easy for us over the last many decades. Neither Route 107 (the Salem Turnpike) nor 1A (called the Lynnway, once you cross the bridge) are welcoming environments for even skilled cyclists. I rode the Lynnway from Lynn to Revere once, and count myself lucky that both myself and my tires survived…Perhaps others on this list have direct personal experience with that road, and can chime in.

If you want to ride North, best approach is to ride inland on Revere Street and Malden Street, then turn north on Lynn Street, or if the bikes you're on are running 28mm or fatter tires, try the Northern Strand Community Path. Either route will get you into Lynn, and once you've ridden through that (avoiding the Lynnway), you get to Swampscott and points beyond. You have a choice to make: Marblehead and Nahant are near destinations. For a longer trip, you can ride through Salem and Beverly, and then take your pick of Cape Ann and North Shore destinations.

The Google Maps bicycle view is your friend here, just take what it shows you about the Lynnway with several grains of salt.

If you have access to a car and a bike rack, another approach is to drive to Beverly, and start from there. Another approach is to ride from East Boston to Chelsea (crossing at the Chelsea Street Bridge? I haven't tried that on a bicycle, anyone have relevant experience?) and follow on to the Chelsea commuter rail station, on the Newbury and Rockport line. Take that North as far as you are interested, and either ride back to E Boston (with all the caveats above), or take a train back to the Chelsea station. There are some nuances about when and how you can take bikes on the train, but it is one of the traditional ways folks from Boston get to the North Shore riding areas.

Sorry for all the hedges in the above. This part of town is somewhat fenced off from other areas by geography, history, and civil engineering, and my personal experience with it is partial. There are definitely parts of any ride in this area where your Bronx-honed cycling skills will stand you in good stead.

rod
Hey rod, thanks for all that info. I'm going to sebd it off to my bro and see what he makes of it. He rides sub ten mile rides partly because he has 6 month old twins and partly because I think he's not sure where to go from east Boston. I was hoping to push us out to around 25ish miles - partly because I ant to ride for more than 45-60 minutes and partly because I want to help him get a moderate and reasonable reprieve from parenting. …I really appreciate the insights.
My initial questions were, like rod’s, how far and where to go (and time of day). I have posted a Cyclist’s Guide to Metro Boston, with this brief description of the North Shore:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Welcome to Boston and environs; I love riding in and around this town. I'm a year round commuter from Kenmore Square downtown to Norwood 14 miles southwest of Boston and an ocasional centurian. Just this Sunday I rode through Saugus on my way back to Boston on a 60 mile RT ride up the coast to Marblehead…

Even though I've lived here for over 30 years, I always get lost on a new ride. Streets are laid out in a haphazard fashion; many streets, particularly the one you are riding on are not marked; they surreptiously change names; and in rotary intersections it's easy to lose your sense of direction. (I don't have a GPS.) On a happier note, the Transportation Authority (MBTA) allows bikes on subways and commuter trains with certain restrictions and that's a nice way to get out of town without city riding.

MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on the T

ADDENDUM: See also this post about local bikepaths / MUPS in the City of Boston proper, and nearby.

I would describe the sectors as (mostly for road riding outside of Rte 128):

North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline, especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant, Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem, Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, etc….
FWIW, there is also a private ferry service from downtown Boston to Salem.

I rode once to Deer Island, but I would save the miles, and instead extend my ride as far north as possible along the coast. I recall Winthrop as a nice ride. Revere Beach is interesting, right along the road, but can be crowded, likely on Memorial Day, and that would include the rideable sidewalk. The Beach front is I estimate about 2-3 miles long. Take note of the legendary Kelly’s Roast Beef, also with good fried clams. Afterwards is a slight stretch of the pretty residential Point of Pines, then followed by the Lynnway for about 2-3 miles as described by @rod. I’m okay with it as an urban rider, on a skinny tire road bike, and you can ride the sidewalk over the bridge.

The riding from Lynn northward is a favorite. I would recommend a loop around around Nahant, and there is a rocky outcropping to visit, with no need to park a car, with an old World War II gum emplacement. Swampscott is pleasant residential riding with some coastal views. Marblehead, particularly the old section is very interesting, especially as a walking segment. Prior to Marblehead Center is ritzy Marblehead Neck, also well worth a detour to the park at the end.

Salem of course is very interesting, and then Beverly and beyond are prime cycling destinations, especially Cape Ann with Gloucester and Rockport. As rod suggested, you can eliminate much of the gritty urban riding by taking the train. Also note that the Blue Line subway, with a stop in Maverick Square, as I recall, will allow bikes at off-peak hours, and will take you to Revere Beach.

Of course if you have a car, or want to ride through more urban parts of Boston, there are many interesting areas, that are more car-free on the weekend. Personally I hope to do a Memorial Day ride somewhere of about 30 miles. Feel free for further inquiries.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Consider me as Metro Boston's Ambassador to BikeForums....
Old 05-25-16, 08:20 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT up to Lexington on the Minuteman before dinner on this slightly premature Summer evening. Lots of folks out enjoying the lush air, with a hot-looking sky lit up at sunset. High point of the ride was encounter with a rider on a Mike Flanigan-built Truss Bike. We had a brief conversation about antbikemike, then went our separate ways. Nice bike.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-26-16 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 09:27 PM
rholland1951

A few comments about the Lynnway. 1) Sure, it's ridable, the usual urban techniques work... however: 2) When I rode it, there was a lot of out-and-out RACING in progress, far beyond the urban norm; this made me leery of the road; 3) The comment about tires has to do with the plentiful broken glass at the top of the bridge; again, beyond the norm; this is concentrated on the shoulders, though; 4) The dodgy driving intensified on the bridge; 5) The road surface on top of the bridge is pretty irregular, in a wavy sort of way; 6) Good view of Rumney Marsh from up there.

rod
Old 05-25-16, 09:41 PM
rholland1951

Also, for some reason, the sidewalk on the bridge is only open on the Northbound side, recalling the verse:

Lynn, Lynn, city of sin,
You never come out
The way you came in.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-25-16 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Took the LHT up to Lexington on the Minuteman before dinner on this slightly premature Summer evening.
snow & ice is gone huh?
Old 05-26-16, 09:17 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I've been commmuttingg as usual. The weather today is, ah, a bit warm. Yesterday too.

Have any of you (besides me) noticed higher traffic levels these last few weeks?
Old 05-26-16, 11:17 AM
rholland1951

Definitely, more commute-time traffic.

rod
Old 05-26-16, 04:49 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Got this pic of revels in Lexington on the run home.

Old 05-26-16, 07:29 PM
rholland1951

Took the Monster Trucker out on the Minuteman before dinner, Summer slipping away for now, warm in the sunshine and cool in the shadows. Pursuit by a speed skater on the Minuteman got me down in the drops and making good time on the return.

rod
Old 05-27-16, 01:56 PM
kobaneul

Bikes: Brooklyn Roebling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a nice ride in to work today. I don't usually commute by bike, today was so pleasant though that it seemed a shame to sit on the subway. The route isn't very exciting (East Somerville through Charlestown to Boston), but a year ago you couldn't have paid me to ride through that rotary, so I feel accomplished.
Old 05-27-16, 06:24 PM
rholland1951

10 miles on the Rawland after work, between the clock and the calendar had sunshine all the way.

rod
Old 05-28-16, 10:52 PM
rholland1951

Had a somewhat overconstrained Saturday schedule, but managed to get out for a couple of hours in the mid-afternoon. Temperatures were a legitimate mid-90s in the sunny spots, more like high 80s in the shade. I put together a 23-mile loop (more like a noose) that followed the Minuteman out to Depot Park, Bedford, then continued on the cool and leafy Narrow Gauge Rail Trail as far as Page Road, turning East on that to do the staged climb up to Corey's Farm (still a going concern) and Wright Farm (not so much: looks like it's embracing its Lexington Conservation Land afterlife), making a fast descent (wheeee!) into Lexington on Grove Street (hitting 34 mph on about the third "e"), getting some welcome evaporative cooling in the process. Rode through Lexington back streets to rejoin the Minuteman via Revere Street, rolling on home and appreciating the shade.

The Narrow Gauge Rail Trail was looking verdent.

Cranking up one of the stages on the Page Road climb... There was a merciful amount of shade.

Back on the Minuteman, post-wheeee!

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-29-16 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 04:34 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
50 is the new 30! With enough daylight and my trusty Nightrider Lumina 650 handlebar light I have been doing 50 mile after work rides the past 2 weeks. My loop starts on 117 through Weston, left onto Church street then through Weston center, right onto Concord st and meander through some hilly side roads onto 126. From there take 126 west and then right onto 27 through Sudbury, branch off and ride through Stow back to 117. 62 through Maynard to Concord center. Refill water bottle then follow Monument st to 225, back towards Concord and eventually home after passing by Walden pond and then the Gropious house.
well 50 being the new 30 wasn't so fun while it lasted. After 5 50 mile after work rides in 2ish weeks I realize why 30 is just fine. It was a bit over-ambitious. Anyhow I think I'll try that once every week or two and stick to a more reasonable 30 mile ride more often. I was on track for hitting 2000 miles by Memorial Day, after a few days of burn out I'm on track to hit 2000 miles in early June.
Old 05-29-16, 07:22 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
well 50 being the new 30 wasn't so fun while it lasted. After 5 50 mile after work rides in 2ish weeks I realize why 30 is just fine. It was a bit over-ambitious. Anyhow I think I'll try that once every week or two and stick to a more reasonable 30 mile ride more often. I was on track for hitting 2000 miles by Memorial Day, after a few days of burn out I'm on track to hit 2000 miles in early June.
Sometimes the bike teaches us, sometimes our bodies teach us. Either way, we learn something. It's early in the season yet.

rod
Old 05-29-16, 03:54 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
After being off the bike since Tuesday, I enjoyed a rather scenic and pleasant 79.5 mile ride to Nashua and back. It was my first time on the Nashua River Rail Trail. The parts of todays ride through Concord, Acton, and Harvard ware the best, very picturesque. I tried this route in early April with my unloaded 520 didn't make it to Nashua. Today I had my new-ish Soma Smoothie which although a tad slower than my R3 was much faster than the 520.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 05-29-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 07:47 PM
rholland1951

After a rainy Memorial Day morning, attended a noon ceremony at Prince Hall Cemetery, during which the rain ended.

The day's solemnities properly observed, I waited until the skies began to clear, and took the Rawland Nordavinden out on one of the pavement-only variants of the North Bridge loop, rolling over the hills of Skelton Road, River Road, Monument Street, Lexington Road, Old Bedford Road, Virginia Road, Mill Street, Lincoln Street, Middle Street, and Marrett Road, each in their respective towns, up hill and down dale. Mostly just whipped the phone out of my pocket and took a few photos off-hand while pedaling, not sure Ansel Adams or Minor White would have necessarily approved, but the Samsung Corporation folks said it was ok.

The Cambridge Reservoir was commendably wet, hiding its mud under several feet of water.

On Lincoln Street, Lexington, saw two souvenirs of the 20th Century: a line of vaguely Deco power pylons, the things that keep your lights working, and...

... a mail box perched on an old V8 crankshaft. Everybody with fond memories of their last V8, raise your hand.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-31-16 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 07:36 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

... a mail box perched on an old V8 crankshaft. Everybody with fond memories of their last V8, raise your hand.

rod
Hate to quarrel with you, but that sure looks like a straight-eight crankshaft. (My father and grandfather have fond memories of those.)

-mr. bill
Old 06-01-16, 07:52 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Hate to quarrel with you, but that sure looks like a straight-eight crankshaft. (My father and grandfather have fond memories of those.)

-mr. bill
No quarrel there: it's long. Straight 8, or maybe a truck, or both.

rod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.