Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Are carbon bars appropriate for CX bikes?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 01:40 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently putting together parts for an upcomming build and want to do it right the first time. I'm a believer in carbon bars from my experience with road bikes, but I think they may be overkill on a CX bike that will actually get used like a CX bike and not a commuter.

I'm currently running Bonti RaceXlites on my road bike and love them. I'll use the same on my upcomming build if appropriate, but I don't have a problem using aluminum if it is truelly the better choice. Comfort is more important to me than weight, so please keep the characteristics of carbon in mind when making a response.
Old 01-25-12, 02:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't think the bumps you find on a CX course are generally the type that can be hidden by carbon bars. Generally they require elbows. On the other hand, carbon bars probably aren't worse than aluminum in that respect. There's also this: https://www.bustedcarbon.com/search/label/cyclocross I do notice, though, that the "cyclocross" tag turns up a fair amount of non-carbon carnage too.
Old 01-25-12, 02:17 PM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pro's generally don't use them in my observation ... Rapha Focus team bike ... no carbon bar or stem on JPow's rig.

Old 01-25-12, 03:03 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I don't think the bumps you find on a CX course are generally the type that can be hidden by carbon bars. Generally they require elbows. On the other hand, carbon bars probably aren't worse than aluminum in that respect. There's also this: https://www.bustedcarbon.com/search/label/cyclocross I do notice, though, that the "cyclocross" tag turns up a fair amount of non-carbon carnage too.
Thanks for the link. That was fun. I think I'll stick to aluminum bars and let the tires and elbows provide damping.
Old 01-26-12, 07:35 AM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good choice. There's two parts that I'm not interested in being carbon: handlebars and seatpost. I bent some aluminum flat bars several years ago pretty bad, and I've heard plenty of horror stories about both, and sharp and pointy near the boys definitely isn't my idea of fun. I'll take a bent bar over a broken bar any day.
Old 02-05-12, 12:16 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ritchey WCS carbon. Two season. Serious abuse. No problem. YMMV.
Old 02-05-12, 11:16 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Ritchey WCS carbon. Two season. Serious abuse. No problem. YMMV.
This is classic anecdotal evidence. CF failures are sudden and dramatic and catastrophic. You will not know you have a problem until you face plant on the steering tube while gripping two pieces of useless carbon in your hands.
Old 02-05-12, 12:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got away, with out falling on them .. for 2 seasons, replace before the 3rd ..
Old 02-16-12, 04:59 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
CF failures are sudden and dramatic and catastrophic. You will not know you have a problem until you face plant on the steering tube while gripping two pieces of useless carbon in your hands.
This is classic anecdotal evidence.

Actually, its classic rhetoric. Or just being a drama queen. Sometimes its hard to tell.
Old 02-16-12, 05:20 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Generally, I would have said nah, go with alloy, but then I popped on a NOS set of Zipp SLs for alloy prices and didn't have anywhere to put them but my CX rebuild, so I'm in that carbon CX handlebar boat. On the flip side, this build has a steel steer tube, and my old bike had a carbon steer tube. Maybe on the actuarial table I'm a wash.

If carbon is going to randomly explode as some fear it will, I'd rather have a break in my handlebars than my steer tube. A handlebar at least has some redundancy: there's a good chance only half of it will break off. And a lot of CX bikes have carbon steer tubes. Also a lot of them have carbon seat posts, and that seems like maybe the worst place to put carbon if you really think it's going to shatter on you.
Old 02-17-12, 01:30 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've seen people finish a race without a saddle. It doesn't look fun.