Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone around during the Bike Boom of the 1970s? Tell me about your story!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone around during the Bike Boom of the 1970s? Tell me about your story!

Old 03-05-15, 07:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Turkey levers, stem shifters and dork discs. Yuck.
Old 03-05-15, 11:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I started in around 72 or 73 by buying a used Gitane (I think Gran Sport?) from a friend - $50. It was probably too big and never was a magic carpet ride, but I learned how to shift, and tore the entire thing down to the bare frame (which I stripped and rattle-canned, and rebuilt. Learned how to adjust bearings and make do when I didn't have specialty tools I needed. Huret derailleurs, steel, knurled rims.

The one and only resource I had to figure all this stuff out were books. Nobody I knew to ask, of course no internet. I used Richard's which was OK (still have it), but it was the encyclopedic Glenns that was the absolute best repair book I ever read. Like having Sheldon Brown and Park Tool websites in one huge book.

In about '76 or '77, I bought the only complete, brand new road bike I've ever owned, a Windsor Carrera for $140. This was a very great upgrade and I did enjoy it quite a bit until it got stolen about a year or two later from my back porch. Suntour (?XGT?) derailleurs, alloy crank and rims. Bar end shifters.

That caused me to buy what for a long time was my absolute favorite bike (with many good thoughts about it to this day), a lightly used mid-70s Raleigh SuperCourse MKII in red. I went to that guy's house to answer a want ad for the bike and rode it around the block. It was instant bonding. I knew from the first pedal that the bike was comfortable, felt sporty, and just worked well. No doubt I liked it and I happily rode it into the mid 90s. Plastic Simplex RD, STEEL cotterless crank.

Throughout these three bikes I owned in the 70s, we mostly just rode around the city (Minneapolis), sometimes running errands, sometimes going to a lake, sometimes drinking (or other intoxicants), but I actually commuted quite a bit with it, and many Saturday errands. Did a couple of ~100 mile weekend camping trips but never liked it that much.

I went to school for a semester in Chicago in the mid-70s, and rode the crappy old Gitane countless times from about 4800 north near the lake into the loop and beyond both south and west to various seminars, work, etc. because it was better than walking to and from the subway or el stations, and then transfering to busses, or driving and finding parking. I got very proficient and comfortable riding in all traffic, but also enjoyed riding along the lake north and south as those park paths were very little used in those days during commuting times and I could cruise very nicely.

No racing, never even considered it, didn't know anyone who did, never appealed to me, still doesn't

Then I stupidly thought I needed a newer bike so I sold the beloved Supercourse for about $75 in around '94 and bought a used low end Bianchi with indexed 6 or 7 speed, I believe. Shimano Exage all around, I think. Oh, the bike wasn't so bad, it worked very well, and I did like the indexed shifting, but it was a little too small, and was never the pleasure to ride that the Supercourse was.

I kept that bike until about '07, not riding much at all through about 05. 05 I really started enjoying it, and found some compatible people to ride with, which got me riding quite a bit for the next couple of years.

So I bought used Cannondale R2000 CAAD 7 (about 3 or so years old, excellent shape.. Ultegra). That bike was really nice and showed me what a stiff frame felt like when accelerating - pop, you're going forward! That bike was the right size and, except for being a little too aggressive in fit, really was more comfortable than the too-small, noodly Bianchi and I always enjoyed it.

The Cannondale got me riding even more, getting decently fit, and remembering how much I enjoyed it in the 70s and 90s (didn't ride much in the 80s or early 2000's).

So, beign older and having some money, about 4-5 years ago, I did what I'd wanted to do since I was 20-something in the 70s: get a "top end" bike. So, I bought a brand new carbonfiber Felt Z frameset (not a whole bike, haven't done that again), which not only fit me a little better and was suited to my aging body,, but just was a great riding frame, very sure and steady, and fast, downhill compared to previous bikes.

For the first time I bought all the parts I wanted (new and used, so it still doesn't count as a complete new bike!) and built a bike up from the frame with top end components. I'm still "upgrading" that bike when I find stems, seatposts, handlebars, etc. that are more expensive and lighter (note I didn't say "better") , but it's fairly close to as good as it gets. I only buy good used or deeply discounted close out situations though.

I then, over the next few years, have done the same thing with a used Jamis Nova Pro cross frame (built up for for commuting) and a vintage mid-80s Sannino frame (built modernish, but retro look), and converted a MTB type tandem into a road set up.

The lower end bikes of the 70s that my friends and I had were Gitanes, Peugeots, some Motobecanes and Raleighs, and whatever REI was selling at the time. Of course there were a lot of low end Schwinns and Free Spirit and on down the line.

The "real" cyclists, or at least the more pretentious ones had bikes I envied: Mercier, Bottechia, and of course higher end Raleighs, Gitanes and Peugeots. I didn't see a lot of Bianchi or Colagno, and every once in a while would see a custom frame.

My buddies and I only road in jeans tucked into a sock, or cut off shorts. I didn't own a pair of bicycle shorts until, probably 1998, the same year I bought automatic pedals. Love at first ride with both.

To show you the level that most of had, we thought we'd really graduated to high quality stuff if it had an alloy cotterless crank.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-06-15 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 05:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I started in around 72 or 73 by buying a used Gitane (I think Gran Sport?) from a friend - $50…Huret derailleurs, steel, knurled rims….Suntour (?XGT?) derailleurs, alloy crank and rims. Bar end shifters.

… mid-70s Raleigh SuperCourse MKII in red…Plastic Simplex RD, STEEL cotterless crank…Gitanes, Peugeots, some Motobecanes and Raleighs…Schwinns and Free Spirit and on down the line…. Mercier, Bottechia, and of course higher end Raleighs, Gitanes and Peugeots. …

To show you the level that most of had, we thought we'd really graduated to high quality stuff if it had an alloy cotterless crank.
Nice write-up, bringing back memories of all those names from the 70’s. Just yesterday, I wrote up my cycling inventory in a PM:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Briefly,
  • Childhood:
    Can’t remember well, but includes a heavy duty, step through (“girl’s") bike [but didn't mind]. One of my vivid early child hood memories was soon after learning to ride, I lost control and rode down a driveway into the busy street that we lived on. No damage.

• Early adolescence:
    “English racer”; rode a lot around the neighborhood with a good friend; we considered (fantasized) about a 40 mile over-weekend ride.

• College:
    -circa 1970: Five-speed Schwinn Suburban with upright handlebars, converted by drops, by me. I did more maintainance by myself on that bike than any other, and did self-supported tours around 50 mile per day over weekends

-circa 1972: Mercier with sew up tires, with girl-friend-now-wife. Did week end tours, and some 5 mile one way commuting in Ann Arbor.

• Early aduthood:
    Detroit was not a good place to commute (due to distance). Got in further week long tours, culminating in a cross country cycling honeymoon (LA to DC) as we left Detroit for a new life in Boston.

• Later adulthood:
    Further week long tours in New England and Maritimes, and DelMarVa peninsula. The bottom bracket on the Mercier wore out around 1986, and I got a Bridgestone RB-1 (because it fit); eventually recognized as a classic, even by Sheldon Brown [only commuting since then].

Bought a used rental Cannondale Mountain bike around 1995-2000 as a beater bike. The RB-I was totaled in 2012 in an accident, and now my road bike is a Specialized S-Works
If interested I wrote my cycling autobiography as my Introduction to Bike Forums, updated since 2008.Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-06-15 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 06:24 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Camilo, great write up, I can identify with your experience quite well. Cannondale has become my drug of choice, got my first one, an SR300, in 1991. Suck with them ever since, having a blast with my CAAD 10 now. I did the top end thing in 1979 with a Raleigh International, full Campag save the brake set (went with Sun Tour Superbe Pros) and experienced what a really well made bicycle could mean to me. The steel crank set, mine was a cottered, 3-piece, on my 1972 Bottecchia, it was interesting to experience having a cotter pin go south and the unique pedaling stroke that gave me for a bit. The Schwinn shop I purchased the Botty from fixed it free, even though no warranty came with my Italian mistress.

Great write ups, for a resurrected Zombie thread.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-06-15, 07:36 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,623 Times in 943 Posts
Forgot all about Glenns encyclopedic manual. Still have my copy. Complete with greasy fingerprints.
Old 03-06-15, 09:36 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
The bike-boom wasn't about serious cycling...it was about selling a lifestyle of healthy leisure. And like most other fads which were created by creative marketing, for the majority of average people (i.e. not those who used bikes as transportation; and not serious cyclists) it was short-lived. The boom seemed to mainly include heavy department-store type bikes. I doubt that it had much of an effect as far as boosting the sales of "good" race/road bikes.
Pardon me for being bothered by this but your first sentence implies that cycling for "a lifestyle of healthy leisure" is not "serious cycling". I at least do not now and never have aspired to competitive cycling, not as racing nor in fast club rides. (Oh, I'm competitive and like competition of various sorts, but that doesn't drive my cycling interest.) But I do like to ride far, and since far takes time I like to be moderately fast too. I like riding a responsive and seemingly light bike. I consider that serious cycling, even when I'm on my bike-boom UO8 riding to work. The concept of competitive cycling was pretty rare back then and I knew no one who knew anything about it. But plenty of riders back then, like the high school sophomore in a class I was teaching who rode his Varsity the 50 miles from Richmond to Williamsburg one Saturday, would have considered their riding serious.

I would also dispute the notion that the BB was mostly about "heavy department-store type bikes". I don't have sale figures, but a walk through bike racks back then showed a zillion lightweight derailleur bikes mostly from Europe or Schwinns. The conversations about bikes I recall were about things like whether I should have bought a Gitane or a Raleigh, or who had ever seen a Motobecane, or whether a PX10 would have been worth the extra cost. The obvious advantages of such bikes over traditional cruisers is what made them attractive.

Originally Posted by Camilo
The one and only resource I had to figure all this stuff out were books....
Books, yes. Anybody's Bike Book by Tom Cuthbertson was my starting point, IIRC. And it is true that for those of us just getting started any bike with alloy cotterless crank was higher quality!
Old 03-06-15, 11:36 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Pardon me for being bothered by this but your first sentence implies that cycling for "a lifestyle of healthy leisure" is not "serious cycling". I at least do not now and never have aspired to competitive cycling, not as racing nor in fast club rides. (Oh, I'm competitive and like competition of various sorts, but that doesn't drive my cycling interest.) But I do like to ride far, and since far takes time I like to be moderately fast too. I like riding a responsive and seemingly light bike. I consider that serious cycling, even when I'm on my bike-boom UO8 riding to work. The concept of competitive cycling was pretty rare back then and I knew no one who knew anything about it. But plenty of riders back then, like the high school sophomore in a class I was teaching who rode his Varsity the 50 miles from Richmond to Williamsburg one Saturday, would have considered their riding serious.

I would also dispute the notion that the BB was mostly about "heavy department-store type bikes". I don't have sale figures, but a walk through bike racks back then showed a zillion lightweight derailleur bikes mostly from Europe or Schwinns. The conversations about bikes I recall were about things like whether I should have bought a Gitane or a Raleigh, or who had ever seen a Motobecane, or whether a PX10 would have been worth the extra cost. The obvious advantages of such bikes over traditional cruisers is what made them attractive.

Books, yes. Anybody's Bike Book by Tom Cuthbertson was my starting point, IIRC. And it is true that for those of us just getting started any bike with alloy cotterless crank was higher quality!
Wow Jim! Anybody's Bike Book.

In 1971-72 my future wife and I were living in Gaithersburg, MD, we saved our money and bought 2 Fuji's (S-10-S Special Road Racers). I was lusting after the Fuji Finest in the window of the shop, but our finances could not justify that. We used them to ride to work and around the back streets and Montgomery County fairgrounds. I couldn't afford to take our bikes back to the shop for maintenance, so I bought Cuthbertson's book. I built my own crude repair stand and learned a lot. The confidence I gained working on the bikes led me to doing the maintenance on our car (1968 VW Beetle). I accomplished that by buying How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive by John Muir.

We still have my wife's S-10-S. I sold mine long ago and upgraded to a Nishiki Competition. We still ride and always have.

I became a bit competitive on mountain rides with my brother-in-law while we were in the bay area of California, but never have raced. We ride for exercise and serenity now.
Old 03-06-15, 12:02 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, no, Jim, I didn't mean to imply that. I'm the same way- I couldn't care less about racing; I've never even so much as watched a bicycle race; and when I watch Breaking Away, I get bored by the big race scene/fast-forward through it.

What I meant, was that a lot of the people who bought bikes during the boom, did so because of the image created by the advertising- as opposed to doing so because they really had a yen for/love of cycling. Ditto the jogging craze of the late 70's/early 80's (I even tried that one! I lasted about 2 months...). So you had a lot of people who, instead of learning anything about bikes, would just happen to see a shiny 10-speed in Sears while they were there getting an 8-track tape player or earth shoes or mood ring ( ) and they'd remember the images from magazine ads and TV commercials of prosperous-looking smiling people with attractive women amidst pretty scenery, and say to themselves "I think I'll get a bike, so I can enjoy those things!". But of course, the realities of actually riding in their own neighborhood were quite different. i.e. pretty girls didn't magically appear to accompany them; they'd get hot or cold or wet; they'd get tired from the big hill at the end of the block; it was hard to find the time to participate in the activity, when it was still light and the weather was nice, etc. etc.

In other words, it wasn't so much cycling that was being sold- but rather a false idea of what cycling was... I mean, in the commercials, you'd never see someone out of the saddle struggling up a hill; or a driver leaning on his horn for 10 seconds and cursing as he'd pass the cyclist [In fact, you usually wouldn't even see a car in a bike ad/commercial- as the mythical places where the models rode seemed to be car-free zones...]. You'd Never see a model sweating or panting.....

And while the health benefits of cycling or jogging were usually touted, the reality of the fact that you'd have to actually expend some effort and sweat to reap such benefits, was omitted....and instead it was inferred that one would reap such benefits by carrying a picnic basket on their bike, as they rode leisurely to a serene spot in the woods with their pretty girlfriend on their shiny new Free Spirit.....

Guess it depended on where one lived.
Old 03-07-15, 12:46 PM
Jim from Boston

…The bike-boom wasn't about serious cycling...it was about selling a lifestyle of healthy leisure. And like most other fads which were created by creative marketing, for the majority of average people...

Pardon me for being bothered by this but your first sentence implies that cycling for "a lifestyle of healthy leisure" is not "serious cycling". I at least do not now and never have aspired to competitive cycling, not as racing nor in fast club rides. (Oh, I'm competitive and like competition of various sorts, but that doesn't drive my cycling interest.) But I do like to ride far, and since far takes time I like to be moderately fast too. I like riding a responsive and seemingly light bike. I consider that serious cycling, even when I'm on my bike-boom UO8 riding to work. The concept of competitive cycling was pretty rare back then and I knew no one who knew anything about it…

...Guess it depended on where one lived.
I was dimly aware of a competitve racing culture even in Detroit in the 1970’s, but I was already hooked into bicyclism, and sought out all kinds of information, though not interested in participating [in racing].

…Having grown up in Detroit, after about age 14 riding my bike, even to school would have been “nerdy" (had the word existed), especially since I was already a “Brain.” Nonetheless, Detroit did produce some National Champions, and Olympian cyclists in that era, including Sheila Young who I found out later grew up in my neighborhood. I however, followed the touring path in the 1970's…

Of note to me, was “The Pepsi Challenge" [in Central Park.] Detroit held a seemingly similar event, a 24-hour double century on Belle Isle, a city park in the Detroit River, also designed by Frederick Law Ohlmstead. It was a totally flat circuit of 5 miles, also with hundreds of riders. The city allowed camping there, the only one time of the year…
Regarding the apparent “disdain” of “serious cyclists” you denounce, @jimmuller I had never heard of the term “Fred” until I read Bike Forums, and I wrote my “Fred Manifesto.”

…As I was riding this AM, contemplating these essential questions, I thought: certainly there are the roadies, who are indeed “Beautiful People” and are splendid in their spandex and peletons; and there are Freds, kind of clunky but sincere and loveable. But there is IMO, a large segment of noble cyclists, e.g. tourists and commuters who are neither BP’s nor Fred’s, but certainly serious cyclists.

I recalled how politicians in Massachusetts are derided as “hacks.” In a memorable speech to the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth, a former Speaker of the House proclaimed “I am not a hack, you are not a hack, we ought not be treated this way." Similarly, my manifesto is, "I am not a Fred you are not a Fred, we ought not be treated this way". So I propose a new name, currently applied to frequent business travelers—ROAD WARRIORS. I AM A ROAD WARRIOR—think Mel Gibson.

I envision RW’s as linemen on a football team as compared to the glamorous backfield, as the infantry on the ground compared the glamorous top guns in the military, or Mission Control as compared to the glamorous astronauts in space travel. All contribute in their own way to the success of the enterprise. In the 1980’s I told a secretary at work that I am road warrior a la Mel Gibson and she laughed and said, “Yeah, right.” Yet I still believe.

John Gardner once wrote: "An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent philosopher. The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.” IMO, the society which exalts roadies and scorns road warriors will have roads only built for cars.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-07-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 01:05 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was dimly aware of a competitve racing culture even in Detroit in the 1970’s, but I was already hooked into bicyclism, and sought out all kinds of information, though not interested in participating.

That's just it: The bike boom wasn't about those who were already into cycling; it was more of a marketing-driven movement to entice the average consumer into buying bikes. And while I'm sure that a small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time, may have become life-long cycling devotees- for the majority, it was just a passing fad.

The turkey-levered stem-shiftered bikes of the time were the equivalent of today's grip-shiftered thickly-padded-seat Walmart bikes- designed to entice the casual shopper to make an impulse purchase; while being in a different world than a 105-equipped CAAD10.
Old 03-07-15, 01:36 PM
Jim from Boston

(…Having grown up in Detroit, after about age 14 riding my bike, even to school would have been “nerdy" (had the word existed), especially since I was already a “Brain.”)

[Your quote:] I was dimly aware of a competitve racing culture even in Detroit in the 1970’s, but I was already hooked into bicyclism, and sought out all kinds of information, though not interested in participating [in racing]....

That's just it: The bike boom wasn't about those who were already into cycling; it was more of a marketing-driven movement to entice the average consumer into buying bikes. And while I'm sure that a small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time, may have become life-long cycling devotees- for the majority, it was just a passing fad...
Actually though, as noted above that while I may have had a predilection to get involved in cycling, the boom was already in progress, and did not necessarily entice me to become one of the small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time to become a life-long cycling devotee. Actually perhaps a stronger prompt might have been the Aerobics phenomenon (by Dr. Ken Cooper) which I recall preceded the cycling boom in 1968.
Old 03-12-15, 10:10 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I mostly rode Sting-Ray style bikes back then. One of two reasons I stopped riding in 1980. The other being a '73 Nova hatchback.
Old 03-16-15, 02:41 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The most outstanding event I remember from the 1970's was the first International Human Powered Speed Championship held at the Irwindale raceway in 1975.

I didn't compete, but I got to attend. The event was fairly informal, so you could go right up and watch the crews getting ready for their runs and talk with them. It was the first place that I saw recumbents being ridden. Many people thought that a faired diamond frame bike was the way to go.

I think it was a turning point for bicycles. It lead to the first human powered aircraft, a renewal of interest in recumbent bikes, and the human powered missiles running on Battle Mountain.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-19-15, 05:43 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
What do you believe attracted people to bikes in the 1970s?
Necessity and thrift, followed by style, fitness, fun.

Was cycling, in the 1970s, a individualistic type of sport? Or was it a sport that people built communities around?
Both. There were bike clubs where I lived, but if you were not on a club ride you were usually out there alone unless you lived near a campus. City parking problems were easily beaten on a bike.

Were the majority of cyclists in the 1970s riding to race? Or just for the enjoyment of getting out on a bike?
Enjoyment and basic transportation. Racing was around but a quaint subculture.

Do you think the introduction of the 10-speed derailer peaked people's interest in biking?
It certainly was an improved device and had the aura of Euro-cool, whatever that was perceived to be.

Were people buying bikes in the 1970s buying bikes for the first time? Or were they upgrading to something better?
Both. I'd been riding coaster brake and 3-speed bikes for 15 years by the time 1970 arrived and the 10-speed was an upgrade. Others may have just stepped in at that point.

Was the bike boom just a fad?
Nope, not when the price of gasoline doubled overnight (TO FIFTY CENTS!!!!!!) during the Arab Oil Embargo.

Do you have any stories about your experiences racing in the 1970s?
No, I used to tell folks, "Hey, I'm a tourist, not a racist."

Was cycling an "elitist" sport in the 70s?
It could be, if you were that type of person. There were also some fast students with long hair and pedaling in bell bottoms.

Do you think people were attracted to cycling in the 70s as a form of escapism from the pressures of society?
Nah, we had drugs for that.

What prompted your interest in bikes?
What kid never wanted a bike?

What prompted your interest in competitive cycling?
Not applicable.
--------------------------------------
I'll come back and edit this with some personal bike history.

Last edited by thumpism; 04-19-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 12:28 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Here is an interesting 'counter-story'.

Back in 1973, even though I was only 23 years old (single engineer working for IBM), I bought a house (lack of privacy issues WRT apartments). I had been living there maybe a year when the owner of the field behind me decided to build a house (no big deal in my mind). But to install the sewer system he needed to run a sewer line through my yard (basically back to front along the north property line). Somewhat disruptive but not a big deal. We agreed on $300 for my trouble (and it was some as while his contractor dug up and replaced the sod, it took more work to get it back to decent).

And I decided 'if I am going to do this I am going to do something that I will remember with this money'. I had always wondered about bike commuting to work (8 miles one way). So I bought some kind of a Raleigh road bike. I don't recall the shifting - down shifters (friction - 6 speeds maybe). I rode it one weekend out in the country, and of course it was uncomfortable but not unbearable. But I recall clearly how hard it was to 'get out of the traffic areas'. And my biking skills were low, but I found riding in that traffic harrowing - not so bad once you got to open roads.

I was in decent physical condition (did some running) but hardly in biking condition. But one Monday I rode that bike to work. Dealing with all that traffic was like one of the worst experiences of my life. I got a ride home and never rode that bike again. I sold it for a song a couple of years later.

Knowing what I know now I would have spent a tad more time just building my cycling skills and then worked harder than I did in finding a longer, but more sane, route. I remember looking and a better route was not obvious, but surely .... That was 1973 or 74 and I didn't ride again until I moved to California in 1996.

dave
Old 04-20-15, 08:57 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I bought my first adult bike during the bike boom. It was a green Raleigh Record. I considered a Schwinn Varsity, but the Raleigh was less expensive and 7 lbs. lighter. Peugeot was too expensive. I bought the Raleigh for one of the most important reasons that anyone buys a bike for, the girl I was dating was into cycling and I needed a bike so I could ride with her. Eventually I dropped her, but kept the bike. I rode it quite a bit at first, but other interests, like an LT-1 Corvette, occupied my time and the bike went to the basement. When I got married, I pulled out the Record to ride with my wife who had a Rollfast 3 speed. While in my 30s I tried to get back into cycling but that Raleigh had a Huret-Alvit rear derailer that couldn't stay in tune. I tried to get it corrected at a bike shop but alas, the Huret-Alvit was quite possibly the worst rear derailer ever designed. The Raleigh sat in the basement until my son took it out one day. He too found the rear derailer a handful consistently shifting to the highest gear making riding it nearly impossible.
Fast forward to 2005. I went to a yard sale and picked up an old Nishiki Ariel MTB for fun and to ride with my two boys. A couple of rides on that mountain bike and I was hooked. I dug out the old Raleigh, tried to tune up that POS derailer, but landed up giving up and selling it to make room for a newer, more worthy road bike that turned out to be a used Cannondale Silk Road 500. Since 2005, I've been riding regularly. If only I had purchased a better bike in the 80's to replace the Raleigh with that POS derailer, I probably would have been a serious cyclist much sooner.
Old 04-21-15, 06:53 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

I had one of those Huret disasters (not on a Raleigh Record though,) I used it for about 2 weeks then I went to our local Raleigh dealer and purchased a replacement RD, a Shimano Eagle, and rode very happily. finally put the starter bicycle on the for sale block when I got my Bottecchia, a friend took it to college with him. The Huret were in the same class for me as the plastic/delrin Simplex items, a bad execution of a simple idea. When I finally (1979) moved to a Raleigh International, with Campy Record, I thought I had gone to heaven.

Bill

Old 04-21-15, 07:29 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I had a bicycle in the seventies.
It was for fun.
I didn't notice any bicycle movement..
Old 04-21-15, 09:01 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
I had a bicycle in the seventies.
It was for fun.
I didn't notice any bicycle movement..
Exactly! I was a kid when the bike-boom started. Kids had bikes. Period. I wasn't aware that there had been a bike boom, until I read about it years later. I thought seeing ads for bicycles; the occasional adult buying one; and tons of different bikes in the Sears catalog, was just business as usual. When you're a kid, you think whatever is going on at the time is just the normal way things have always been, because you have nothing to compare it to.
Old 04-22-15, 09:59 AM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's fun to read the stories posted by folks about my high school riding years, but I can't help but wonder why this question was asked. The OP posted this in '12, the thread was resurrected in '14 and then again in '15. The OP made only 2 posts in their career here on BF since becoming a member in '12 and both were on this topic. Why would someone ask this and then disappear? Student with a school assignment???
Old 04-22-15, 05:19 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Erik, that's a good guess judging from the 2 posts, his other was the same body, posted in the C&V Forum. Not sure why it gets resurrected in the 50+ Forum regularly, but I have gotten pulled in each time, even though I recognize that its a Zombie thread. Very interesting discussions have come out of it, too.

Actually, I didn't hear anyone use the term "Bike-Boom" until a few years afterwards from the early 70's that many relate to that term. I simply wanted a nice bicycle as it was my primary transportation, something better than the muscle bikes we all were riding and a 10-speed filled the bill. It was really addictive to ride, for me, and I could get around much better with a nice bicycle, I had flat pedaled my legs off on the 20" wheels and low gearing the stingray clones had.

Its a pretty neat thread to revive from time to time, just my opinion and thoughts about my favorite topic.

Bill

Old 04-22-15, 06:03 PM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Bikes: 83 Fuji Touring IV, 90 Univega Alpina Pro MTB, REI road bike, others in pieces

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really recall a bike boom per se, in 75-77, at age 15-17, I rode my Schwinn Continental (40 lbs for the large frame) on the back roads in the next town, logging 40 miles days with friends. We would see 1 or 2 serious bicyclists out there. Today, on any given weekend, you would see 20-50 people out on the same roads. I see the bike boom as NOW!

I remember a lot of people buying Raleigh Gran Prix's, but most did not ride that far. We had people tell us we were lying when we said we rode 40 miles!
Old 04-23-15, 06:08 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

The 70's "Bike Boom" was from 1971 through 1973-4, by '75 bicycle shops were shuttering that were not prepared for normal business levels. The people that opened shops quickly, to try and catch the wave (quick bucks,) couldn't cut it and closed up shop. Many of the department stores and other such business that had badged bicycles with their own logos stopped buying and sold off stock at bargain basement prices (the bikes were usually not worth the cut rate prices, either.) Same thing happened to a lesser degree with Mountain Bicycles a little later, too.

Here in Pensacola, the two long time shops, a Schwinn and a Raleigh, both family owned, came through the crash, but eventually closed in the mid 80's, when the patriarchs of both families passed away. We have just had one shop here that got really big, and had multiple lines of manufacturers, close up several locations and cut back drastically, as this wave is tapering some. However we just got a new Trek Store, and I have seen a Yeti dealer sign out, in town.

Bill

Old 04-23-15, 06:53 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
The people that opened shops quickly, to try and catch the wave (quick bucks,) couldn't cut it and closed up shop...
Here in Pensacola, the two long time shops, a Schwinn and a Raleigh, both family owned, came through the crash, but eventually closed in the mid 80's, when the patriarchs of both families passed away.
I bought my first lightweight derailleur bicycle in 1972 at Agee's Bicycle Shop in Richmond, VA, on West Broad St IIRC. I understand they are still in business but I wouldn't know if Agee himself is still involved, nor whether that location is still open. Perhaps a Richmond resident will chime in.

The bike itself is still "in business" and gets ridden quite often.
Old 04-23-15, 09:00 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought my first lightweight derailleur bicycle in 1972 at Agee's Bicycle Shop in Richmond, VA, on West Broad St IIRC. I understand they are still in business but I wouldn't know if Agee himself is still involved, nor whether that location is still open. Perhaps a Richmond resident will chime in.

The bike itself is still "in business" and gets ridden quite often.
Apparently, Agee's still has the W. Broad St. location: Locations - Agee's Bicycles-Sales and service for 104 years

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.