Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Noobie's Search for a Road Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 03:46 AM
PapaGanoosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted to purchase a road bike for short commutes and possibly start cycling as a hobby. I'm a student, so I'd like to save as much as possible. I started browsing craigslist. I'm around 5'9 to 5'10 and through some searching

I found a road bike that is pretty cheap. Price is $40 but poster says it requires "tuning, new tires, etc". Frame size is not specified but I sent an email inquiring him about it. Now, I don't know how to do any of the mechanical work, so I'm wondering if anyone has an estimate of what it would cost for a full tuneup of a bike in this condition. I live in Vancouver btw.

Here is a picture of the bike:

There is also another one that is $80:

Old 06-20-12, 04:07 AM
aussiepug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Others will chime in - as it looks to me

Peugeot is too small for you and in pretty worn condition.
Norco is in much better overall condition and is about your size.

Long story short - spend the extra $40 - buy the norco and learn how to keep her on the road.

I love Peugeots (have ridden then for 20 years +) but that one is not the right one for you.
Old 06-20-12, 04:09 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaGanoosh
I wanted to purchase a road bike for short commutes and possibly start cycling as a hobby. I'm a student, so I'd like to save as much as possible. I started browsing craigslist. I'm around 5'9 to 5'10 and through some searching

I found a road bike that is pretty cheap. Price is $40 but poster says it requires "tuning, new tires, etc". Frame size is not specified but I sent an email inquiring him about it. Now, I don't know how to do any of the mechanical work, so I'm wondering if anyone has an estimate of what it would cost for a full tuneup of a bike in this condition. I live in Vancouver btw.

Here is a picture of the bike:

There is also another one that is $80:

both are too a bit too small for a man of your height.

the first is a peugeot uo8 (ish) bike from around the mid 70's. Its a cheep bike but reliable. Looks in working order but you may be best off buying new tyres and tubes. The other bike is early 80's and is ok, but nothing special. Il search on your local listings for something good.
Old 06-20-12, 04:16 AM
prettyshady

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...088585369.html
Old 06-20-12, 04:33 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Figure a complete rehab at a bike shop will cost you $250 to $300 on the Peugeot, less on the Norco as it is in better shape. Projects are only really suited for someone with the time/tools/aptitude/access to cheap parts. Otherwise, you will either skip critical maintenance, or you will be upside down big time on the bike.

Both bikes are cheap in a good market, really cheap in a hot market like Vancouver. So I do not see them lasting long. Either the buyer will just use them as is, worrying about things like stopping and shifting later, or be able to do the mechanical work themselves.

Just call around to a couple of shops, tell them a neighbor has a 40 year old bike that has been sitting for a long time, and needs work. Ask what a complete rehab would cost: cables, housings, chain, tires, tubes, new bearings and grease, brake pads, bar tape, truing wheels, adjusting gears, flushing freewheel.

The last project bike I bought required all of this, plus a new bottom bracket, a new front derailleur, new freewheel, and replacement wheels.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-20-12 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 05:16 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Of course, if you keep on reading this forum, you'll learn quite a bit about bikes and their repair issues rather quickly
Old 06-20-12, 08:04 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
Of course, if you keep on reading this forum, you'll learn quite a bit about bikes and their repair issues rather quickly
This.
Old 06-20-12, 10:43 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums and, as you already know, you have a lot to learn. With that in mind, start by learning How To Find a Vintage Bicycle. Next take a look at Bicycle Quality, so that you can learn how to tell the difference between a quality bike and an entry level one.. Once you have some of that information at your fingertips, you will be much better prepared to shop for a vintage bike in person, on-line or just about any way you please.

Most old bikes, like the Peugeot, need a full refurbishment, not just a tune up. As often as not, the grease in the bottom bracket, wheel hubs and head set has turned to something no longer resembling grease. The old grease must be replaced with new and all of the components checked to ensure mechanical integrity.

Next, you will need to have the brake pads replaced, since the old ones might have hardened with the passing of time. New brake, and transmission, cables for that matter, are standard replacement items and this includes inner cables and outer casings, with ends. So too are tires since old tires can look good but still be in very poor condition.

The best advice I could offer, considering you challenged mechanical skills, would be to buy an old bike in good shape, ensuring, of course, that it is a good fit. Doing this, in the long run, will save you money and grief, most of the time.
Old 06-20-12, 05:15 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyshady
both are too a bit too small for a man of your height.
And probably even too small for a woman of your height.