Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Affordable carbon frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 11:30 AM
oldprobmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Affordable carbon frame?

I have done some research but it seems really tough to find a sub $3000 carbon track frame set. Could someone please list of they know of some builders that may be in this range. I would even consider a lightly used frame I fit a 54.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-14, 11:52 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
A bunch of ebay sellers sell taiwan-made carbon frames, unbadged, for about $500 bucks.

Old 02-04-14, 11:53 AM
oldprobmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can we trust those framesets?
Old 02-04-14, 01:05 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by oldprobmx
can we trust those framesets?
Eh. They may not explode on you. But you can't trust that the angles are proper for riding on a banked track. Many have road bike angles and use road forks.

Be warned that budget carbon frames are not as stiff as quality aluminum.

Look into Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCT...track-frameset

Old 02-04-14, 02:03 PM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta say, that's looking good ^. Angles looking nice and tight, replaceable drop-outs, purty looking, overall.. Also, Planet X is working well for a lot of people down here 'In Africa'. General experience of people i know being great value for money; nice racing-level frames for general-leval prices, and nice stiff framesets.
Old 02-04-14, 02:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Gotta say, that's looking good ^. Angles looking nice and tight, replaceable drop-outs, purty looking, overall.. Also, Planet X is working well for a lot of people down here 'In Africa'. General experience of people i know being great value for money; nice racing-level frames for general-leval prices, and nice stiff framesets.
It's a good frame with good angles. Really strong guys (guys close to 1800W or more) will be able to flex it during standing starts and rolling jumps. But, it's stiff enough for all others.

I'm not knowledgeable about carbon types, but I don't think it's the super dense carbon that you'd find on a BT, LOOK 496, Felt TK1, etc... I think it's a lesser carbon for normal mortals
Old 02-04-14, 05:18 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done some research but it seems really tough to find a sub $3000 carbon track frame set. Could someone please list of they know of some builders that may be in this range. I would even consider a lightly used frame I fit a 54.
Thanks in advance
Why carbon? The difference in performance between carbon and aluminum is smaller than the performance difference from better engineering...
Old 02-04-14, 05:54 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree carbon not necessary. Many fantastic aluminum track frames.

Ironically, I just went from the PX above to a generic carbon from China. Really liked the PX, didn't change for any particular (rational) reason.
Old 02-04-14, 07:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by wens
Why carbon? The difference in performance between carbon and aluminum is smaller than the performance difference from better engineering...
I totally agree.

Carbon is nice (and cool) but it doesn't really solve any problems that a quality aluminum frame cannot.
Old 02-04-14, 08:18 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

Carbon is nice (and cool) but it doesn't really solve any problems that a quality aluminum frame cannot.
i found a noticeable improvement of ride quality when i went from aluminum to carbon (Tiemeyer->Dolan)
Old 02-04-14, 08:47 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Cheap doesn't have to mean nasty. Do your research and there are a few good options out there. I have never heard a truly bad word about the Planet Xs and there's plenty of them around. There were whispers around here of someone planning to import a few Chinese frames loosely based on the BTs. I've never seen one and haven't cared to chase them up but said individual had apparently trialled one and was impressed. All word of mouth though.

If your bench mark is 3k then surely the Dolan has come up on your radar?
Old 02-04-14, 10:32 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I don't know the make, but a Aussie friend of mine had one of these low-brow Chine carbon frames and the steerer snapped mid race. He'd only been on the thing a handful of times. Of course this is purely anecdotal, but he's been around long enough that I hope it wasn't pilot error in terms of overtorqueing stuff.
Old 02-05-14, 04:37 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Planet X built up for Pursuits - frameset was around $800 landed and I can't fault it for me in that role.

Like the look of the potential new frameset from Planet X but still no details on their site that I could find.

From https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...te-Bikes/page2
Old 02-05-14, 06:35 AM
oldprobmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help, still not sure what to do though.
Old 02-05-14, 06:56 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the help, still not sure what to do though.
Buy a decent used steel or aluminum frame and spend your money on decent kit, gearing and stuff to get you comfortable on the bike.
Old 02-05-14, 07:05 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My main racing bike is a 2008 Fuji Track Pro which goes alright... Bike isn't holding me back!

Are you set on a carbon track bike? If you aren't keen on the Chinese ebay frames or Planet X, I'd check out the Dolan DF3 - used by alot of powerful riders to great success!
Old 02-05-14, 10:10 AM
oldprobmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about this
https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-tra...eset-3126.html
Old 02-05-14, 10:13 AM
oldprobmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
Buy a decent used steel or aluminum frame and spend your money on decent kit, gearing and stuff to get you comfortable on the bike.
I raced the full season last year, did well at regionals and went to nationals, didn't do so well. I have everything I need, one of the problems is my bike was literally the heaviest at nationals, the woman that weight it actually chuckled at me.
Old 02-05-14, 10:54 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Weight doesn't matter. I really doubt that the weight of your bike was your limiter at nationals.
High-quality carbon track frames are often pretty heavy.
and the best wheels out there, the Mavic io/Comete combination, totals up to around 2300 grams iirc.
Old 02-05-14, 10:54 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I raced the full season last year, did well at regionals and went to nationals, didn't do so well. I have everything I need, one of the problems is my bike was literally the heaviest at nationals, the woman that weight it actually chuckled at me.
I'm not sure this matters! I got a chuckle and a shake of the head for my DF3 at weigh-in at nationals as well. Track bikes are heavy, at least those intended for sprinting.
Old 02-05-14, 11:23 AM
carleton
Elitist

Would you believe that my 2010 Felt TK1 (carbon) was 3lbs heavier than my Tiemeyer (aluminum)? My DF3 weighed about the same as the Tiemeyer.

BTs are heavier.

You'll find that Aluminium will come in with the best mix if price, weight, stiffness, and availability. Carbon does have a better ride quality as Quinn mentioned as it absorbs vibrations and sharp bumps better than aluminum.

I'm not saying that aluminum is better than carbon. But I can say that all carbon is not better than all aluminum. The differences really come down to the fit, angles, exact materials, and the builder.

I've had some really nice high end carbon frames (Dolan DF3, LOOK 496, Felt TK1, Planet X...all great frames). They all came and went as my Tiemeyers stood patiently in the corner saying, "I knew you'd be back."

As a wise man, Steve Hill, once told me, "In track racing, fit trumps materials any day. Get the bike that fits the best."
Old 02-05-14, 11:31 AM
carleton
Elitist

Continued...

The 2010 and prior Felt TK1s had a *really* beefy heavy fork. I removed mine and to my surprise, it weighed the same as a steel fork I had laying around. Seriously.

It is my understanding that the fork has since been redesigned and lightened around the same time that they introduced "Sprint" and "Endurance" models of the TK1.

But, back then, using the same wheels, cranks, bars, pedals, straps, etc... my 57cm Tiemeyer was just over 17lbs and my 57cm TK1 was just over 20lbs.
Old 02-05-14, 11:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

Now here is Kevin Mansker riding that heavy TK1 using *steel* bars making it about 2lbs heavier than if he were using carbon bars:

Last edited by carleton; 02-05-14 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 11:55 AM
oldprobmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be honest, my frame is perfect it rode so well last season, and I won a lot of races, but man when you go to regionals and nationals and all of the cool, burly looking carbon frames are there and everyone is riding the best equipment its neat, it really comes down to I want to try a carbon frame.
Old 02-05-14, 12:41 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Go for it! Small money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.