Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cargo bikes on TV / in pop culture?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 10:57 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts

Pretty much every time I use my Douze cargo bike, in a college town in North Carolina, somebody stops to look at it and tells me they've never seen one before.

Given how generally awesome cargo bikes are, especially for parents, it seems like they need better publicity -- I feel that here in the USA, except maybe in Portland, most people don't even know they're an option.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I can't recall ever seeing one on a US TV broadcast or in a Hollywood movie. And I'm definitely not clued in to what the kids are seeing on YouTube, TikTok, etc. Can anybody else point to examples of cargo bikes getting publicity in pop culture?
Old 02-22-20, 08:18 PM
dudeliving

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Well I don't see much publicity for cargo unless you would watch a classic or period film. I think what is popular now on the internet are electric bikes which my son knows for sure.
Old 02-24-20, 04:30 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I feel the same about recumbents, trikes, and velomobiles. Apparently, 'Family Guy' featured a trike recently.
Old 02-25-20, 07:09 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Right, I haven't seen them much in the TV shows I watch. Although, perhaps I've been avoiding the "family" shows that should be more bike friendly.

Of course, I do notice when a bike shows up in an episode, especially if taking a prominent role, even if it is only a single episode with a secondary character.

Of course, many shows have central characters with a characteristic mode of transportation.

Urkel had his BMW Isetta
Mr. Bean had a vintage Mini.
Pee-wee Herman had his vintage bicycle.
Anyway, I could imagine portraying an eccentric neighbor that rode a bike everywhere. Of course then, perhaps rather than bikes being considered mainstream, they would be considered that of eccentric characters.
Old 02-25-20, 08:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Right, I haven't seen them much in the TV shows I watch. Although, perhaps I've been avoiding the "family" shows that should be more bike friendly.

Of course, I do notice when a bike shows up in an episode, especially if taking a prominent role, even if it is only a single episode with a secondary character.

Of course, many shows have central characters with a characteristic mode of transportation.

Urkel had his BMW Isetta
Mr. Bean had a vintage Mini.
Pee-wee Herman had his vintage bicycle.
Anyway, I could imagine portraying an eccentric neighbor that rode a bike everywhere. Of course then, perhaps rather than bikes being considered mainstream, they would be considered that of eccentric characters.

Thirtysomething had Gary, a Philadelphia social worker who always rode his bike everywhere. When one of the other characters found out that he had been killed on the road, said something like "Gary and that damn bike" and then was informed he was actually driving at the time he was killed.
Old 02-25-20, 09:39 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
MOTHERLOAD

-mr. bill
Old 02-27-20, 12:14 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Sadly I can't pull up an example, but I've absolutely seen Schwinn Cycle Trucks in old films- very frequently educational/information films in that pre-war or 1950's "Anytown USA" setting.