Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Evan's Cannondale Topstone Sora

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-24-20, 10:12 AM
evan the cdn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Is this an appropriate place on the forum to put a thread about my new bike, minor modifications and experiences with it? If not, let me know.

I got into drop bar bikes about five years ago after riding a hybrid on a 3 day, 300km group ride. Looking around on that event I saw lots of people on older touring bikes and some people on newer race bikes. The race bikes looked more appealing to me at the time so when I got home I found a used 2012 Specialized Tarmac for sale and bought it. It was great! The efficiency of every push of the pedals was amazing and the sound the carbon frame made when you were cruising down the highway was great. Unfortunately, I found myself wanting more and more to get off the pavement and onto some trails and going back to rim brakes after years of discs was a bummer. I also felt guilty every time a rock smacked the bottom of the frame.

That experience led me to my next bike. A 2018 Specialized Sequoia. It seemed like the answer to all the downsides of the Tarmac. A tough and compliant steel frame with massive tire clearance. It was great for what it is but that fall, when I heard of the Topstone, I knew I had swung a little too far toward comfort and away from fast/light. The Topstone seemed to thread the needle in just the right ways. It was lighter than the Sequoia but better suited (tougher, better gearing, disc brakes) than the Tarmac. I was okay living with the Sequoia and fending off the desire for a new bike until I realized that I was riding the wrong size. Not by much, but I should have got the 54 instead of the 56.

Which leads me to…

On Saturday I bought a Topstone. It’s the Sora version in size medium. I loved the look of the blue frame on the Apex version but I couldn’t justify the price increase when the selection of parts wasn’t quite what I would have picked. The low price point of the Sora for a frame that seems to tick all the boxes (for me) seemed like a safe bet. I’m considering swapping most of the drivetrain out for some other stuff and going 1x but I’m going to let the debit card cool off for a few weeks and reconsider then.

The stock stem is 90mm and weighed 133g. I swapped that for a Kalloy Uno 80mm that weighs 102g. The bike now weighs 10.65kg. Weight isn't the main reason I bought this bike but I like obsessing over the (some might say silly) details.

Up next will be pedals and a seat swap.
Likes For evan the cdn:
Old 02-25-20, 09:19 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I went with the 105 version and it has filled in all the boxes I wanted. I rode a very nice Specialized, new old stock and do not remember the model, but it just wasn't a fit. The Topstone feels good and all I changed on the bike was the seat and the stem. I have a back issue from surgery in 2001 so I have to raise the stem on all of my bikes. I have played with air pressure and found 45 lbs is my sweet spot. For me this is my bike of choice but I do have a Hybrid to ride when the back, I am 71, decides to say not today. Hope you have a good experience with the Topstone and have many safe miles.
Frank.

Likes For Helderberg:
Old 02-25-20, 10:37 AM
LS1BadBird

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Did they change the tires on the 2020 models or did you guys swap them out? When I bought my 105 last year they were reversed, the Sora had blackwall tires and the 105 had tanwall tubless ready ones. Regardless, both nice bikes. I love my 105 and just bought new tires for it Saturday.
Old 02-25-20, 01:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by LS1BadBird
Did they change the tires on the 2020 models or did you guys swap them out? When I bought my 105 last year they were reversed, the Sora had blackwall tires and the 105 had tanwall tubless ready ones. Regardless, both nice bikes. I love my 105 and just bought new tires for it Saturday.
My buddies ‘19 had tan wall Riddlers. My ‘20 had same tire in black wall, which I prefer. I’ve since added a set of Riddler 45mm.
Old 02-25-20, 01:25 PM
evan the cdn

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LS1BadBird
I'm not 100% on it but from what I can see, all of the Sora groupset bikes that were made in last year's darker green colour "Vulcan Green" came with black wall WTB Nano, 700 x 40c and all of the current year's lighter green colour "Mantis" came with tan wall WTB Riddler Comp, 700 x 37c. I assumed it worked the same way with the 105 version but it's less clear because the colour of the frame didn't change from year to year.
Old 02-26-20, 10:01 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mine are stock 700 x 37c and I really like them so far. Only have about 800 miles on them but have performed very well on road and packed dirt/gravel. I don't ride in the rain so I have no information there. Steven B., how do you like the "Riddler 45mm" tires? I am thinking of going to the 45's on my Topstone and moving the 37's to my Hybrid Quick 3.
Be safe all, Frank.
Old 02-26-20, 11:08 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Helderberg
Mine are stock 700 x 37c and I really like them so far. Only have about 800 miles on them but have performed very well on road and packed dirt/gravel. I don't ride in the rain so I have no information there. Steven B., how do you like the "Riddler 45mm" tires? I am thinking of going to the 45's on my Topstone and moving the 37's to my Hybrid Quick 3.
Be safe all, Frank.
I only have 2 rides so far on the 45's, both on a heavy gravelled trail system. They work well on the dense pea sized gravel, but due to winter bad weather as well as being sick I haven't yet used them as much as I wanted. I purchased them as I wanted a larger tire for some dirt road exploring I intend to do this summer in the Adirondacks where I've read it's marginal on a gravel bike and where some recommend a hard tail mt. bike. I want more multi-purpose out of this bike, so opted for a larger tire to try out.

SB
Old 02-26-20, 12:02 PM
Helderberg

Thanks for the update. I also have been, sick, sidelined with the flu, and have missed some very good riding days in Feb but atleast I am on the mend. My other thought was to just get the same tires on my Quick as I have on the Topstone as I know how they work. Will have to see what I think will fit the bike best. The Quick has a higher chainset gear than the Topstone so I have looked at it as my road bike and the Topstone as my all-around. At 71 my expectations of speed are different than someone of a lesser age.
Hope you are feeling better.
Stay safe, Frank.
Old 03-01-20, 04:47 PM
evan the cdn

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Swapped a couple more parts. The stock seat was not a good shape for me and it weighs 314g. I have a Fabric Scoop Flat Elite that used to live on my Tarmac. It's more comfortable for me and weighs 241g.

I decided to run Shimano PD-A530 pedals. They've got a basic platform on one side. There's not much grip but usuable with normal shoes in a pinch.

Likes For evan the cdn:
Old 04-28-20, 06:04 PM
DaytonaDreamin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike. I’m on the fence on getting this. New to the cycling world so I’m doing my research. I recently got a vintage bike second hand which is great since the guy rebuilt it and sold it. My question is, how tall are you? I’m 5’9 and I think I’m in the same boat as you in regards to bike size. I’m riding a 56cm bike...and it feels good...but from the saddle, I am not able to reach the ground. I think i might get a 54cm instead if I do buy the Sora.
Old 04-29-20, 12:43 PM
evan the cdn

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaytonaDreamin
Beautiful bike. I’m on the fence on getting this. New to the cycling world so I’m doing my research. I recently got a vintage bike second hand which is great since the guy rebuilt it and sold it. My question is, how tall are you? I’m 5’9 and I think I’m in the same boat as you in regards to bike size. I’m riding a 56cm bike...and it feels good...but from the saddle, I am not able to reach the ground. I think i might get a 54cm instead if I do buy the Sora.
Try to avoid using being able to touch the ground as a measure of how well a bike fits. It's more important for the measurements between the touch points (handlebars, seat, pedals) to work while riding. For example, if all else is equal, on a bike with a higher bottom bracket your ideal seat height would be higher than a bike with a lower bottom bracket height. The distance from the seat and the pedal would remain the same while the distance from the seat to the ground would change.

I'm a little under 5'11" tall. The size chart for the Topstone in Canada is Small 5-4" to 5-9" and Medium 5'7" to 6'1". Since you're 5'9" tall I would recommend going to a bike shop to try the small and the medium. Your height, proportions (leg, arm, torso lengths) and flexibility all go into finding the right fit.
Old 04-29-20, 02:05 PM
Steve B.

And all Topstone owners and maybes, know that there’s a very active FaceBook page for Cannondale Topstone owners. Lots of knowledgeable people from all over the world. If nothing else you get to see a lot of very nice photos people take. Riding this bike seems to table people to interesting places !.
Old 05-03-20, 07:38 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Steve B.
And all Topstone owners and maybes, know that there’s a very active FaceBook page for Cannondale Topstone owners. Lots of knowledgeable people from all over the world. If nothing else you get to see a lot of very nice photos people take. Riding this bike seems to table people to interesting places !.
Did not know this.
Thank you Steven B.