Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Death of a bicycle shop

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Death of a bicycle shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 12:26 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I'm happy enough with this guy that it doesn't bother me to hear Rush Limbaugh blaring over my back yard for the past five weeks. And if there are things in life that I hate . . . . .

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-07-20, 12:39 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
I'm happy enough with this guy that it doesn't bother me to hear Rush Limbaugh blaring over my back yard for the past five weeks. And if there are things in life that I hate . . . . .
Had a tile guy, should say "tile artist", same deal. On the upside, won't be listening to him much longer under the current health circumstances.

Old 02-07-20, 12:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Periodic update: WE'RE IN THE HOMESTRETCH!!!!

As I'm writing this, the main contractor is finishing the last of the siding, and the two electricians moved in this morning to start wiring the garage. Repairs to the fire damage on the house are 98% complete. Repairs to the motorcycle garage were done about a month ago. Only question mark on the job is when the crew to install the garage door will be showing up. Expectations are the middle of next week, with the buildings completed by next Friday.

So far only one thing has gone wrong: One of the past owners of this place was a committed do-it-yourselfer, with wildly variable results on his work (this is why I had a main breakers upgraded the week we moved in). One of this guy's *****s was to replace the original water heater down in the crawl space with on standing one, which he put in the downstairs closet right in front of the breaker box! Of course this won't pass inspection, so the insurance company agreed to giving us a new water heater back under the crawl space. Which was installed on Wednesday. Only to have the main water line break loose about three hours later, probably from the shocks of getting the air out of lines. Seems Mr. Do-It-Yourselfer didn't bother gluing the PVC lines properly and I've had this little time bomb down in the crawl space for Lord knows how many years. Got the plumber back that evening to fix it (my PVC file tubes for spokes were better glued, and I don't do plumbing), and the recovery company sent their initial response guys back yesterday morning to pump the water out of the crawl space. Now just working on getting the crawl space dried out.

Overall, then end result I'm getting here has been a surprisingly positive experience. The original garage must have been a Mr. D-I-Y project, because the quality of the construction of the new building is incredible by comparison. One guy has stick-built the entire structure solo, and his work is meticulous as hell. The wife and I have already figured on having him back over the next couple of years for a few other long-term projects.

Hopefully, I'll start finishing the interior in about two weeks, with plans to have the shop up and running around 1 April. All in all, other than the irreplaceable loss of the Armstrong and my parts collection, I'm going to come out ahead on this. And the only out-of-pocket expenses will be finishing the stocking the interior of the garage.
I am actually surprised the purchase home inspection did not flag the waterheater location.
The two home inspectors I have used were really aware.
And were happy I was interested in crawling around with them under the house or on the roof.
Old 02-07-20, 01:09 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Originally Posted by repechage
I am actually surprised the purchase home inspection did not flag the waterheater location.
The two home inspectors I have used were really aware.
And were happy I was interested in crawling around with them under the house or on the roof.
That one flipped me out, too. When we saw it initially, we figured it was incredibly inconvenient, but with no warnings from the inspector assumed it was legal. My knowledge of building code is minimal.

Then . . . . . the week after we moved in, we hired a professional electrical contracting firm to update the breaker box. They grumbled about having to work around (over, actually) the water heater but at no time did any of them mention "not up to code". So, when the recovery firm came in and had the first look around, and immediately brought up the illegality . . . . . five years after we moved in . . . . . our jaws hit the floor.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-18-20, 06:36 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,136 Posts
Syke,
Haven't heard much from ya lately, Didja get the tools and were they OK for yer bike shop? As I noted the Blackhawk are shop worthy as much as Blue Point. I know you said you were going to get a bunch of Craftsman tools at Christmas sales. So on the Snap-On truck today the guys at the highway garage traded all of their Craftsman ratchets in. I paid $12 for each of these and after pulling them apart and lubricating them they are safe to use. Lemme know if you want any of them for the $12 price (plus shipping). Smiles, MH
Old 02-18-20, 09:12 PM
griffey

Bikes: GT Timberline Maruishi Roadace 7 Grandis Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Sad to see . A family members house just was lost due to a car fire in the garage .Loss like this is painful ,wishing you the best !
Old 02-27-20, 08:36 PM
sykerocker 

Sorry I've been gone for a few weeks, been busy as hell since the Westminster show since the reconstruction of the garage flipped into high gear. The good news is . . . . . . we're done!

OK, the insurance covered, rebuilding of the building and damage repair on the house and other garage are done. Final inspection was today, everything signed off. There's a minor item or two to finish on the part of the electricians on the outside of the house, but I now have a functioning, complete garage. Once the piddling stuff is done, I cut the contractor the final check and we're settled.

Garage and new patio fence

Now, it's my turn. Time to start turning the garage into a workshop. I need the return of the gentleman who built the garage to cut a couple of the rafters and install a pulldown staircase, then I tear into it paneling the walls and creating a loft with OSB sheets. Then install air lines, workbench and set up everything else.

I'm embarrassed that I fell behind on keeping in touch with those kind members who fronted me tools. Everything arrived safely, and have been incredibly helpful in keeping my temporary shop functioning. Especially after picking up that Flying Pigeon at Westminster (a tale unto itself). Thank God for the donations of cone wrenches. This bike was assembled loosely at best - except for the hub cones, which we tightened to the point that it almost felt they were welded on to the axles.

Spending this weekend finishing the outside work, that parking pad with the white Honda on it didn't exist with the old garage, and I've got a little refilling to do on the power line trench from the main breaker at the house after the last couple of rains, plus replace a few concrete squares in front of the car. The game plan is to have the shop, if not up and running, at least being stocked by 1 April.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 02-27-20, 08:38 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Syke,
Haven't heard much from ya lately, Didja get the tools and were they OK for yer bike shop? As I noted the Blackhawk are shop worthy as much as Blue Point. I know you said you were going to get a bunch of Craftsman tools at Christmas sales. So on the Snap-On truck today the guys at the highway garage traded all of their Craftsman ratchets in. I paid $12 for each of these and after pulling them apart and lubricating them they are safe to use. Lemme know if you want any of them for the $12 price (plus shipping). Smiles, MH
Sorry I've been so incommunicado, but the last couple of weeks have been a madhouse in getting the building finished, to the point that this is the first time I'm checking in at the side since Westminster. All your stuff arrived safely and thank you very much. I'm currently fine regarding ratchet handles thanks to my old tool box from the Honda shop days.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-27-20, 09:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Time to change the thread title to "Rebirth of a bicycle shop"!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-27-20, 10:08 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Sykerocker,
Im wishing you much success and a happy ending.
Old 02-28-20, 07:24 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
Sykerocker,
Im wishing you much success and a happy ending.
I guarantee he sees the humor in that.
Old 02-28-20, 07:32 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts

Garage and new patio fence

Spending this weekend finishing the outside work, that parking pad with the white Honda on it didn't exist with the old garage, and I've got a little refilling to do on the power line trench from the main breaker at the house after the last couple of rains, plus replace a few concrete squares in front of the car. The game plan is to have the shop, if not up and running, at least being stocked by 1 April.
Amazing to see the fast progress and the nearly finished project. Sounds like it's been a lot of work, and you've done an outstanding job.

I'll be the well-intentioned bloke who suggests the color of bar-tape you finish this off with. A few months down the line, when the wood has passed the point when resins and such have finished oozing out of the wood on the fence, it would look quite sharp in either white, or a yellow that matches (or compliments) the siding on the garage.
Old 02-28-20, 07:37 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by francophile
On the upside, won't be listening to him much longer under the current health circumstances.
On the upside, I’d wish you the same fate, were I cut from the same cloth. On my upside, I am not.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-28-20, 11:04 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I missed this originally thinking it was another of those don't buy thinks on the internet threads. Glad it all came out with a mostly happy ending.

What percent of your parts were you able to salvage?

And your wife is an Angel for allowing you to do so many great hobbies.
Old 02-28-20, 11:18 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
On the upside, I’d wish you the same fate, were I cut from the same cloth. On my upside, I am not.
No guarantee he sees the humor in that.
Old 02-28-20, 02:37 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I can fully respect that, believe it or not.

From my side, I honestly believe in karma; you ultimately get what you give. User your voice to push negativity, fear, and hate into the world, don't be surprised if your voice gets taken away.

(But note I'm not confusing "voice" with "death", there's very few I'd wish death upon in this world)

Originally Posted by curbtender
No guarantee he sees the humor in that.
I dunno, humor is in everything, even when offered in the form of a smack or suffers from timing or appropriateness.

Old 02-28-20, 04:07 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Looks great and glad to hear you're on the right track!
Old 02-28-20, 05:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I was thinking the exact same thing - or a new thread with photos showing the re-birth/progression as it becomes fitted-out again.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-28-20, 08:56 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Amazing to see the fast progress and the nearly finished project. Sounds like it's been a lot of work, and you've done an outstanding job.

I'll be the well-intentioned bloke who suggests the color of bar-tape you finish this off with. A few months down the line, when the wood has passed the point when resins and such have finished oozing out of the wood on the fence, it would look quite sharp in either white, or a yellow that matches (or compliments) the siding on the garage.
Definitely waiting until about June or July, equally torn between paint and just putting a clear protective coat over the wood and keeping its natural color as best I can. Time, and enthusiasm for work, will tell.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-28-20, 08:58 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I was thinking the exact same thing - or a new thread with photos showing the re-birth/progression as it becomes fitted-out again.

DD
Oh, I'm definitely going to do a full photo layout once I've got the inside done. If I can stick to close to my planned schedule (inside walls and floor done by 1 April) I'd say something will be forthcoming by roughly 1 July. If I really get rolling (and the money holds up) that'll be consecutively done with evidence of work on that '77 PX-10 I've had as a restored frame for five years now.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 02-28-20, 09:01 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Probably going to go with 'The Thread Formerly Known as "Death of a Bicycle Shop"'. Other than discussion of small items, this will probably be the winding down of this thread. I'm not going to be posting any more pictures until I have a lot of progress made on the interior.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 02-28-20, 09:14 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by francophile
Use your voice to push negativity, fear, and hate into the world, don't be surprised if your voice gets taken away.
Then Kamala Harris, Ohmar, Tlaib, "The View," CNN & MSNBC will be mute soon. Goes both ways. Nothing has matched the violence and vitriol of the last 4 years of sour grapes from the left, expressed as if a badge of honor, and much more malevolent than the 8 years prior, which simply followed the 8 years before that. Pendulum swings are broader. The change now is the level, and the means being used to try and undo the process by which our leaders are chosen. Each step begets a more drastic one. The pattern is clear, and a continuance of same will lead to tossing the process out in favor of firepower. Hope is that doesn't happen. Likely will.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-28-20 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-28-20, 09:26 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by Kobe
I missed this originally thinking it was another of those don't buy thinks on the internet threads. Glad it all came out with a mostly happy ending.

What percent of your parts were you able to salvage?

And your wife is an Angel for allowing you to do so many great hobbies.
Parts were a complete loss. Fifteen years of collecting, refurbishing, sorting, gone. Ninety percent of the tools, too. I managed to save a drawer of freewheel, freehub and crankset removal tools. Or at least they will be saved once I've got the shop finished, the media blasting cabinet installed, and take the time to run them thru. Right now they're bagged and useless until I get all that crap cleaned.

As to my wife . . . . . . we're a unique pair. To start, anytime someone well-meaningly asks, "How did the two of you meet?"; my immediate answer, said with a straight face, is, "Over my wife's deathbed." Maggie was the first shift nursing aide for my late wife in the final year of her life. After Patti was gone, she stayed.

She is far and away the easiest relationship I've ever been in, primarily because of her past. She's a country and western song come to life, and her past is filled with such *******s that I look saintly by comparison. Without trying. All I've ever had to do is be honest to her and treat her like I'd want her to treat me. (I've never been able to figure out why that's so difficult for a lot of people.)

In three marriages and fifty years of relationships, she's the first and only person I've been involved with that has never had anything to do with the science fiction convention (and, more specifically, science fiction costuming - what they're now calling cosplay) scene. And she's gotten to me late enough in life that I'm finally down to three serious interests: Motorcycles, bicycles, and historical reenactment, and probably won't be adding any new ones. She missed all the years of glam rock backstage denizen, photographer, ham radio operator, sports car racer, antique car enthusiast, small business owner and professional costumer, patch-wearing biker, wargamer, fencer, medieval tournament combatant, student radical and anti-war activist . . . . and probably one of two other passions gained and dropped over the years that isn't coming back to memory as I write this.

I've got it damned good. And I've become a firm believer in karma, as I've always felt that Maggie was my reward for the eight years I spent taking care of Patti as her health deteriorated.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 02-28-20 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For sykerocker:
Old 03-01-20, 07:20 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

And I've become a firm believer in karma, as I've always felt that Maggie was my reward for the eight years I spent taking care of Patti as her health deteriorated.
This is awesome, but I gotta say: Based on what we're all seeing in this thread, I can't help but think you're one of those souls with a knack for making lemonade when life hands you lemons. I can't think of a better outcome for such a positive person.

Earlier in this thread I'd mentioned about bicycle storage, using the Whirlpool Gladiator (horrible name!) product to hang bikes up, in case it was interesting once you get there. Here's an example of what my setup. I'm using 4 x 48" pieces separated by about 10" horizontally, and I could fit 9 bikes up here if it weren't for some HVAC lines in the way. All bikes hanging bars-up / bars-down / bars-up / bars-down to pack in, and if your bikes are under 35lbs/ea, you won't exceed the maximum load. Total cost was $117 shipped ordering through Lowes.com (which I rarely shop at, Ace Hardware is my go-to). Specifically:

8 x GAWEXXVBSH (bike hooks): $59.92
2 x GAACGE4PPM (grey end caps): $11.98
4 x GAWC041PZY (48" gear-track plates): $35.92
Subtotal: $107.82 + free ship + tax and I was out the door around $117.

Hanging it took 20 minutes, it's a breeze. Any given day you can find Lowes 10% off digital coupons on eBay for $3 if you planned on ordering more than what I did - those coupons are legit - or if you're ex-mil like my dad you'll get 10% too. I'll buy the digital coupons for $3 any time I'm buying over $150 worth of merch, anything less and you're basically shaving off the tax.