Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantilever plastic broken

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19, 04:26 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

Hi,

I am working on a scott arapahoe, and I am currently looking at what may be conserved or need to be replaced.

I have seen that on all cantilever , the plastic is broken like on the picture
One is even with no plastic at all, and all was working properly on the bike.

Do they need to be replaced due to security reasons ?
is this plastic only here in order to make the setup of the brake easier ?
Is it possible to find plactic replacement somewhere ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I personally don't dislike the look without them. I mean with the spring visible.

Old 08-27-19, 07:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
That's one of the poorer brake designs I've encountered. Sometimes the brake will continue to work ok without the shroud, but sometimes not. Replacements would need to be salvaged from other calipers.

Possibly a better idea would be to replace them with linear-pull brakes, which are compatible with the cantilever mounts.
Old 08-27-19, 07:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Breakage of those plastic bits was endemic when those brakes were common, and that usually resulted in brakes that would always rub or not properly return to their home position after braking. Shimano used to sell replacement plastic spring covers, but more recently I have seen whole new sets of brakes for only a couple bucks more than the plastic parts.
Old 08-27-19, 12:52 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Breakage of those plastic bits was endemic when those brakes were common, and that usually resulted in brakes that would always rub or not properly return to their home position after braking. Shimano used to sell replacement plastic spring covers, but more recently I have seen whole new sets of brakes for only a couple bucks more than the plastic parts.
Endemic? They had close to a 100% failure rate. Shimano sold the replacements by the sack.
Old 08-27-19, 03:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
At one point Shimano sent our shop bags of the springs at our request. They were considered a warranty item.
Old 08-27-19, 04:53 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Altus-CT91-Brakes
Comes with new pads, plastic bits and equalizer cable. Problem solved.
Old 08-27-19, 07:12 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
When repping I carried a sack of them with me to dispense as necessary.
Old 08-27-19, 10:15 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's one of the poorer brake designs I've encountered. Sometimes the brake will continue to work ok without the shroud, but sometimes not. Replacements would need to be salvaged from other calipers.

Possibly a better idea would be to replace them with linear-pull brakes, which are compatible with the cantilever mounts.
Do this. That brake has to be one of the worst Shimano ever made. Kill it with fire. Avid v-brakes would be a good start:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Avid-Si...wAAOSwuwBbVatE
Old 08-28-19, 12:35 AM
Manu431

Thanks for all advice.

I will order new one, no problem.

Dealing with renovation of old original parts is a part of the fun, when it doesn't compromise the security.
In this case it may in some circumstances compromise the security, and it is not acceptable.

I am pretty sure that in some part of the world these cantilever will be repaired and used .
The broken part is just some kind of plastic tube after all.
There is something to be made with a piece of inox/alu tube of the same dimensions and some drilling for the screw. (only if I can find this for free at home or for free)
I will give it a try for sure, even if I must admit that it is not my first priority.

I think I will probably stay with cantilever, just for a question of look at the rear part of the bike. (look at the small brake support bridge for the cable)
Plus it will be easier with the brake lever (drop bar conversion)

Old 08-28-19, 05:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I've been happy with Tektro's CR510 brake. You can get them in anodized silver, so they still look somewhat "classic" and period correct. But they use linear pull-style threaded brake pads, which I find much easier to setup than the smooth post brake pads common to cantilever brakes. I have these on a Trek 750 painted in a blue very similar to your Scott, and they look pretty sharp.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-28-19, 07:14 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

I will add another vote for direct pull 'V' style brakes, even though OP said he doesn't want to. The function and ease of setup is far superior to centre-pull cantis, where the geometry change in the straddle cable as the brake is actuated actually reduces power the harder you pull the lever, while linear pull brakes are... well, linear.

You can also get 'mini Vs' if you are staying with narrower road tires and not planning on fitting fenders. These have all the benefits of full-size Vs but they work with the same levers as canti brakes (almost all drop bar levers are perfect).

On the other hand, one of the main advantages of canti brakes is the large amount of clearance for fatter tires and fenders. If that is a commuter or town bike and you are planning on mounting fenders (you should) then cantis are probably a better choice.
Old 08-28-19, 07:17 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Also! In the mid nineties there was a major recall on certain Shimano cranks due to a problem with the forging of the crank arms. There is still information on the web about these cranks and you should look this up to make sure yours are not affected. The cranks were prone to snapping near the BB spindle with no warning.
Old 08-29-19, 12:29 AM
Manu431

The goal is very clear.

I want to make use of this old scott from my son to make it has a second bike for my wife.
We have a camper van and we need a second bike which is easy to transport in the camper or on bike carrier , and not to heavy in comparison with our Ebikes. They also have to be easier to carry sometime on the train, which is very complicated with the ebike due to weight and dimensions. They also to be cheap bike, just in case , because we are visiting cities .

Two years ago I already made a bike for my wife, but she never really have liked it. She just doesn't feel secure on it . Maybe the bike is to small.
She has tried the scott and she likes the position on it . I could have make it has mountain bike, but she prefers some kind of road "utility" Bike version ("RUB" ; it sounds cool isn't it ?)

The old bike

The new goal (found on the drop bar conversion thread) ; She is decided for this kind of color.
The bike should have fenders (I have black ones like on this bike) , have a back rack , and be robust.
It should use as much as possible parts I have at disposal, but not necessary.
It must looks good, because it will be my wife's birthday present (she prefers by far something made from hand with heart as a fancy expensive present)

Old 08-29-19, 06:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Why are you changing to a drop bar if the intended rider is comfortable with the position with flat bars?
Old 08-30-19, 01:01 AM
Manu431

I have a shorter stem as disposal (the orginal on the scott is 100 mm long).
At the end, the position of the hands on the brake should be approximately the same (distance) has currently on the scott with the flat bar (I hope i write well so).
And she has approved the current position with the flat bar.

The drop bar allows more various hand positions for a mainly road / city / gravel paths.

But drop bar is not 100% sure yet.
I also have the possibility to use the current peugeot bar/stem., or even stay with the scott config has it is
We will try all of this and she will decide. I have parts for the three configurations, plus a fourth one.

In case she doesn't want to use the drop bar at the end, I could use the bar from my son's bike and use the drop bar for him .