Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lake Cycling Shoes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lake Cycling Shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 01:57 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Lake Cycling Shoes?

Does anyone here wear them? If so, what are your impressions? I'm interested because they appear to have a more supple upper than my current shoes, which are getting a bit long in the tooth. Looking at the CX237 model.

TIA
Old 02-14-20, 02:04 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Lake has a range of offerings, but in general, they make good stuff. They offer most models in wides, which is good for those of us with duck feet.
Old 02-14-20, 02:16 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I have some Lakes and I really love them
Old 02-14-20, 02:58 PM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've put about 7500 miles on my Lakes and they've been really good. Recently bought a pair of Sidi genius and like them better than the Lakes as far as comfort and fit.
Probably not apples to apples considering the price so no complaints at all on the Lakes. I still use them on the trainer.
Old 02-14-20, 03:00 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Lakes are great.

The only caveat is that they have 3 different lasts, and each last is of different widths. If you can get the higher level ones with the Kangaroo leather, those are really nice.
Old 02-14-20, 08:30 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have wider feet so Lake is the only shoe that I think is affordable that are comfortable. I have two pairs and both have been great. One pair is probably 6 years old and well in bad shape an one is brand new. I will throw out the old after indoor riding is over this spring and move on to the new pair. The old ones are CX160 model the new one I am not sure of.

I think for the value for a wide size shoe they are fantastic!
Old 02-14-20, 08:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
I've had the CX237 for 5+ years, and the CX402 for 4+ years. The lasts on the 237's are slightly more generous than the ones on the 402's, but they're both an awesome shoe.
Old 02-15-20, 04:01 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Thanks, appreciate all the replies. I'll give them a shot.
Old 02-15-20, 06:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Always liked the look of them.. but for who knows what reason, they skipped the size 49 though.. and per their mm sizing guidelines, that's where I'd be. Their size 48 would be too small, and the 50 likely too big.
Old 02-17-20, 01:11 AM
rami_arna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I hear good things about them from my friends who use them. I just never liked the way the logo looks on the shoes.
Old 02-17-20, 01:21 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I have the low end CX 176. I cannot recommend them. The boa system has a lot of friction so you can’t get it very tight without “stressing” it for a few minutes. The forefoot strap asymmetrically applies pressure to the medial side. The heel cup doesn’t hold very well. The amount of padding, in my opinion, is not befitting of a road cycling shoe. Either due to poor fit, or due to a small toebox (probably the former), my pinkie toe starts hurting at the end of the ride. Probably from my foot sliding forward and bumping against the toebox. Lastly, the stack is quite thick - but this isn’t really a big concern.

I can’t speak about any of the other Lake models but I have to assume they are an improvement.
Old 02-17-20, 01:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I've been riding cheap Lakes for years. First as Performance house brand shoes, then under the Lake name. All with plastic soles. My feet love the fit. They hold up really well. First thing to go is the straps. Velcro wears out like Velco does. I sew in new Velcro and keep riding them. 10 years in all weather is completely the norm.

I like to ride toes down. All the time, sitting or standing. Any shoe that's going to work has to pass a simple test. Can I stand ballet point style on them with comfortable feet? Or are my feet going to slide forward and toes jam in the toe box. Lakes pass that test with flying colors. Now, straps give me problems, especially riding hills on my fix gears, There is usually a single contact point of the main strap on a bone in my foot. Pulling fix gear hard up to climb steep hills leads to a feeling not all that different from broken bone. Find myself loosening my straps at stops (impossible to do riding on fix gears!) That leads to blisters and jammed toes and toe infections. I love fix gears too much to quit so I cut the straps of those Lakes and installed laces. Instant heaven! My geared bike Lakes got the same treatment.

Went to the Lake site the other day and now the cheap Lakes come with laces! Now very high quality shoes for a very reasonable price and the best fastening system out there. My next pair. (But it might be a while. All my current pairs are doing just fine.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-17-20 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-20, 05:31 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I have the Lake 175s from years ago and one of the BOA adjusters broke - they are covered with a lifetime warranty from BOA, that was easy to fix. I was only using those shoes on my indoor trainer, breaking them in until my Northwave road shoes died, but the NW ones keep lasting so the Lakes stayed in the basement for a couple of years.

Then, the BOA on the other shoe broke - at the shoe, where the BOA adjuster is attached. That isn't covered by BOA, Lake said the shoe was out of any warranty (it was over 2 years old) so I had brand new looking shoes but no way to tighten one of them! Made me not go to Lake when it was time to finally really replace the NWs.
Old 02-17-20, 08:59 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
I've been using a pair of CX-332's for a couple years now. Super comfortable, stiff and well made. I upgraded to the moldable carbon insert as well.
Old 02-18-20, 03:19 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I like to ride toes down. All the time, sitting or standing. Any shoe that's going to work has to pass a simple test. Can I stand ballet point style on them with comfortable feet? Or are my feet going to slide forward and toes jam in the toe box. Lakes pass that test with flying colors.

Ben
I've never thought about this, but it makes sense and I have shoe-fit problems. I'll have to try this next time I try on a pair.
Old 02-18-20, 03:52 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I have had a pair in the past and they were okay. No real bells and whistles like other brands, just a decent road show. That said, the model you are looking at seem to be one of their top end models. I had a cheaper model that were okay. I currently use a Vittoria riding shoe......not even sure of the model as I do not dwell too much on that rather than fit and comfort. It is however a nice pair that ratchets (micro-click) for precise tension.
Old 02-19-20, 01:05 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I have 2 pairs, going on 9 years now. AND I ride 3 times a week!
Old 02-26-20, 04:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I've had the CX237 for 5+ years, and the CX402 for 4+ years. The lasts on the 237's are slightly more generous than the ones on the 402's, but they're both an awesome shoe.
Circling back to this - did the CX237 used to be more expensive? I'm seeing them at $199. I gather that they've been superceded by the 238, but I'm not clear on whether the 237 are on closeout and going away shortly or whether both models will continue side by side for a while.
Old 02-26-20, 09:24 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Circling back to this - did the CX237 used to be more expensive? I'm seeing them at $199. I gather that they've been superceded by the 238, but I'm not clear on whether the 237 are on closeout and going away shortly or whether both models will continue side by side for a while.
They have gone down $100.00, basically. Of course, 21% off helped when I snagged mine..
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-27-20, 08:13 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I got my first pair of cycling shoes from Ben's Cycle on ebay, for $5. I assume they were a past season but they work for me !!!