Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best Self Sealing Tubes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best Self Sealing Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 09:53 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No worries, happy to help. Though I would avoid the Cheng Shin tires unless free or better yet they pay you to take them. Not a quality tire in the least. However yes quality tire, proper inflation will help greatly.

I am curious where you are riding that you have no way of stopping? Not so much exact location but general conditions. I haven't ridden anywhere yet where I couldn't pull over or at least be able to walk the bike. I have seen places where it is tough to stop but with some warning to people behind you can generally get off and at least walk to a safer spot.
My Cheng Shins are low quality? What a let down. They looked slick and had a slick name. You know Japanese pride in manufacturing.

Not dangerous as in a hazardous situation. Dangerous as in potential Crime and confrontations. Best to avoid.
Old 02-25-20, 11:20 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I am curious where you are riding that you have no way of stopping? Not so much exact location but general conditions. I haven't ridden anywhere yet where I couldn't pull over or at least be able to walk the bike.
I am not the person you asked.

I spend a lot of time in S E Asia. Much of it in rural areas. I often cycle on dirt tracks to villages. When it rains, there is often a lot of mud. I ride a fat bike, as it is the best for the situation.

We can all get off and walk. But if you are 20 km from where you are staying, you might not get back before night.

I could carry a fat bike tube, and the tools needed to change it, or even a puncture repair kit. A fat bike tube is larger than a regular tube, so it would mean are adding weight for something I might use on rare occasions. In addition, in some of the places where I go, tools may be stolen when you are not looking. So I would give myself another task, to watch my bike all of the time. Then of course, it is inconvenient to repair a tire when it is covered with mud.

Almost all of the punctures I have are from sharp spikes on plants and seeds. These small holes seal easily with tire sealant. I believe, if I use tire sealant, some tires will not need to be patched for the entire life of the tire. So I plan to try it out and see what happens.

Even in Australia, most of the punctures I get are small enough to seal with tire sealant.

Some people want light weight, so they can be competitive. Some of us just want the bike to be as reliable as possible, and have the least inconvenience.
Old 02-26-20, 10:52 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are there that many self sealing tubes to make "best" a real issue? Slime, Bell, Schwinn. Who else is there? All inexpensive so not so big a deal if you get a flat in-spite of them. I'd be hesitant for tubeless tire sealants unless they state that they are also for use in tubes.

Your question really goes against what most of us want-- less rolling resistance and lightweight with good ride quality, that's probably why so much push back. As well no one committing to a recommendation from experience with them.

A self sealing tube just seems to be more weight. Also, like sealant in a tubeless tire, might not like sitting for long periods of time. And might need to be changed entirely on a regular basis.
I asked too narrow of a question. The question should have been, what is the absolute best puncture resistant system that still maintains descent handling and ride, just descent. Like you said, that is contrary to most of ya'll's pursuit but that is my personal pursuit.

Last edited by mjac; 02-26-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-26-20, 11:08 AM
mjac

No worries, happy to help. Though I would avoid the Cheng Shin tires unless free or better yet they pay you to take them. Not a quality tire in the least. However yes quality tire, proper inflation will help greatly.

I am curious where you are riding that you have no way of stopping? Not so much exact location but general conditions. I haven't ridden anywhere yet where I couldn't pull over or at least be able to walk the bike. I have seen places where it is tough to stop but with some warning to people behind you can generally get off and at least walk to a safer spot.
I thought I had two Bontregers on the bike but after checking the front is a Cheng Shin,OMG. It seems to be holding upmpretty well though. Going through what tires Inhave on hand,one of them is a Bontreger 28mm with a Aramid Band. That is going on there next.
Old 02-26-20, 12:02 PM
mjac

The Rec Ride Route

Old 02-26-20, 12:28 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
If you go that route,what are the best or better puncture resistant tires?
Im running these on my commuter. Zero flats all winter. - Sharp flints are the enemy where I live.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-pr...our-road-tyre/

There are many others but I have no personal experience. If you dont mind a higher price tyre take a look at the Pirelli Cintorato.

Or ...

https://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/lifeli...yre-review.pdf
Old 02-26-20, 05:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My Cheng Shins are low quality? What a let down. They looked slick and had a slick name. You know Japanese pride in manufacturing.

Not dangerous as in a hazardous situation. Dangerous as in potential Crime and confrontations. Best to avoid.
Cheng Shin is a Taiwanese company. However ride the tire till you wear it out. Get something better.

As far as the riding path it looks like there is some possibility but not great at least a little bit of shoulder and a grassy embankment that you might be able to work on. But yeah not great.
Old 02-26-20, 06:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
As far as the riding path it looks like there is some possibility but not great at least a little bit of shoulder and a grassy embankment that you might be able to work on. But yeah not great.
I couldn't figure out if the OP was talking about a sidewalk by a fence on the right side of the road, or the shoulder on the left side of the road. I'd probably rather ride by the fence, but that embankment looks like a wonderful place to stop and fix a flat.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-26-20, 10:09 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I have tried using sealant in high pressure road tires with tubes (think corsa g+ and Conti GP5000) 28 mm at 110-115 psi, in general it has not worked well, but is has spewed out making a mess of every thing . I do think it helped once. My assement is that it depends on what is causing the flat. if it is a thorn that is causing a slow leak good chances the sealant will work, but if you run over some thing sharp and it does not stay in the tire, the pressure is going to push the sealant out to fast to work....that is my theory base on observation.

I always carry a pump, spare tire and a patch kit......

it is pretty much always a balance between weight and puncture resistance. So far I have been really happy with GP5000, 28 mm with conti racelite tubes. 400 plus miles of commuting and no flats......on a road bike and i am 238. I pump them up to max 115Psi
I can only share my experience...... but gator skins seem to be well regarded, I have them on one my bikes and have had good results, but it is not a high mileage bike,

While I have not had consistent success with adding sealant to a tube in a high pressure situation, I have had what i think was one save by sealant....where the tire was super low after a ride, i pumped it and it has head since,

Just don't depend on sealant 100% carry tube, pump and patch kit

FWIW I used caffeetex sealant for the one that seemed to work (orange seal on the ones that didn't) I will continue to use the 1 oz per tube as a preventative
bottom line fact of life is you will get flats, nothing can prevent it 100%, so you should be prepared for a flat. everything you need (irons, tube (1 or 2) patch kit fit in a small under seat pack, pump is on frame or waterbottle mount I have these on all my bikes. No big Deal

you can minimize risk of flats with heavy duty tubes, heavy duty tires, sealant, etc but you cannot prevent flats
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
On the flip side, not being willing to fix flats means you will be helpless the next time it happens.

BTW, I don't put much stock in thick tubes. The tube's job is to hold air, the tire tread's job is to resist punctures.
dude you can approach it that way, but you are not dealing with reality, simple fact is you will get a flat sometime. take the stuff with you that you can change/fix a flat, especially if it is as dangerous as you are making out. practice so you can fix a flat fast.

how about explaining what is so dangerous if you get a flat on your twice daily rec rides?

over and out
This is the flat repair kit I put together in case all of my flat prevention measures fail, I did this all on my own without any suggestions or prodding from the posters.
Old 02-26-20, 10:16 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I think these help a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJZ3UA
Old 02-27-20, 08:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
This is the flat repair kit I put together in case all of my flat prevention measures fail, I did this all on my own without any suggestions or prodding from the posters.
Very nice, sorry if I mistook your earlier posts as saying you weren't prepared for flats.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-27-20, 09:19 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Very nice, sorry if I mistook your earlier posts as saying you weren't prepared for flats.
I wasn't. I can't stand cluttering up the bike. But all the poking by all of the posters I quoted above made me think,yeah, it is best to do everything possible to avoid flats in the first place but if I do get a flat on the far reaches of my rec ride or the occasional urban ride and I can't fix it I would be in a lot more trouble then I would be spending 20 minutes repairing the flat. I thought I might be being a little hard headed trying to be a purist. So I mozied on down to Walsmarts and picked up a nice compact Zeifal under seat bag (really nice), a Bell Co2 kit and stuffed a cheap small 15mm wrench,new Bontreger tube and irons into it along with the Co2. Debating whether to put some Rema glue and 15mm patches and some sand paper in there too. This is if I don't look at this thing in a week and think it looks sissy and take it off.