Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 Wheelset?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-27-20, 03:27 PM
evan the cdn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Anybody have any experience with the Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 DB Wheelset? Looks like it could be a good value option with decent internal width.
-23 mm internal width
-1700 g
- $352 USD / $462 CAD

https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum...19-161574.html

Road.cc seemed annoyed that they weren't made by Hunt.
https://road.cc/content/review/26960...ravel-wheelset
Old 02-27-20, 03:53 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
You are OK with 24 spoke wheels on a gravel bike? I wouldn't trust them for the gravel around me, which are more like fire roads.
Old 02-27-20, 03:57 PM
evan the cdn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
You are OK with 24 spoke wheels on a gravel bike? I wouldn't trust them for the gravel around me, which are more like fire roads.
Their weight limit is listed at 109 kg. Is that not possible with 24 spokes?
https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/whe...rapid-red-5-db
Old 02-27-20, 04:06 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by evan the cdn
Their weight limit is listed at 109 kg. Is that not possible with 24 spokes?
https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/whe...rapid-red-5-db
I don't know the specifics, and I'm sure there are some running 24, maybe even 20 spoke wheels.

I personally weight almost 109kg (240lbs) not counting the bike, and you have to factor in the rough terrain of the gravel you ride. The lowest I trust is 28, but prefer 32 spoke wheels. If you break a spoke or two on 24 spoke wheels, could you ride it back to civilization?
Old 02-27-20, 07:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...00c-95184.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...0c-126226.html

These are listed as 125g more, but have 32 butted spokes and the hubs are basically universally loved. $405usd.

I have no idea about the fulcrum wheelset as I dont have experience with it. I just mention the Hope wheelset since it is also from Merlin, is a similar price, and is well regarded.

Wheels- tough buy since there are so many variables to make a set good or bad.
Old 02-27-20, 07:56 PM
katsup

I bought a pair of the Hopes mstateglfr suggested, but with the RS4 hub. I chose the RS4 as I am using them 95% on the road. The main difference is less pawls than the pro (less drag and noise, but less engagement points). I do notice the delay when shifting, but it doesn't bug me. The good news is that I can use the steel 4 pawl (same as Pro4) on my hub if I every decide to change.

I ended up finding a used pair of DT Swiss Spline (370) wheels shortly after I got the Hopes. I like the Hope wheels a lot better, but the DT Swiss were much cheaper. Those wheels are the extent of my wheel experience other than sets from the 90's or generic modern sets.

I bought my set from Bike24 and it came with QR & Thru axle adapters as well as tubeless valves and tape.

Last edited by katsup; 02-27-20 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 09:35 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have Hunts and more recently bought the new Shimano GRX wheelset for $419. I'd go all in on the GRX. It is very well made and no cut corners. They have been making wheels for decades. And if you have a warranty issue, just about every shop can handle it. Very trusted Shimano, generally overbuilt too. Cheaper to service too with loose ball, which many of us still prefer. Loose ball is quick and easy to service, has less drag than many mid-priced sealed bearing hubs and you never have to wait for parts to be ordered. I'd buy the GRX wheels from a local shop as it will be the same price there as on line. And no shipping or waiting if they stock them. A great upgrade for many stock bikes under $2500.